Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Enough of this ******** Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am so sick of my life. I am sick of pursuing something I don't want to do out of fear of failure. I am going for gold and I'm going to bloody well take it. Two fingers to the tosspots who thought me incapable, and the rest extended in a handshake of thanks for the Greek fire you have lit in me to prove you wrong.

I am publicising this here as a marker of change and a reminder of why I am doing this

ReputationRep:
    :clap2:

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    :clap2:
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:

Go Bruce!

On a serious note, best of luck for what you truly wish to do

yaaaas slay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    I am so sick of my life. I am sick of pursuing something I don't want to do out of fear of failure. I am going for gold and I'm going to bloody well take it. Two fingers to the tosspots who thought me incapable, and the rest extended in a handshake of thanks for the Greek fire you have lit in me to prove you wrong.

I am publicising this here as a marker of change and a reminder of why I am doing this
    Do whatever you need to do man. I am supporting you all the way!!! :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    I guess this is what happens when one leaves their life decisions to an arbitrary conveyor belt rather than thinking for themselves.

ReputationRep:

out of interest, what was you doing and was are you going to embark on?

ReputationRep:
    Don't let anyone hold you back, you can be a woman if you really want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

/me gives a ****.

ReputationRep:
    You need to post this On TSR? grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    I guess this is what happens when one leaves their life decisions to an arbitrary conveyor belt rather than thinking for themselves.
    What makes you think I haven't been thinking for myself?

(Original post by whydoidothis?)
    You need to post this On TSR? grow up.
    Sharing with strangers is cathartic

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think I haven't been thinking for myself?

Sharing with strangers is cathartic

ReputationRep:
    To not do something out of fear of failure is necessarily to think for oneself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    out of interest, what was you doing and was are you going to embark on?
    I was planning on a legal career...I'm now committing myself to an area in the performing arts.

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on a legal career...I'm now committing myself to an area in the performing arts.
    You have certainly made a better choice...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well what did you do then

ReputationRep:
    To not do something out of fear of failure is necessarily to think for oneself.
    It sounds like from your OP as though you have been sacrificing your inner desires and talents to an ideal which is maybe more financially secure and objectively more respected, and now you have had a moment of realisation that this is not fulfilling in the long-term.

To me, this is typical of our academic generation whereby we are on this conveyor belt to pseudo-success, in the form of A Levels- good University (RG or die)- career in IB, law, consulting, corporate grad scheme. It is so wrapped in cotton wool that people tend not to think about what they really want from their life because they sacrifice that for kudos and to satisfy their parents who are living vicariously through them.

Correct me if wrong/tell me your story. Apologise for the assumption if incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like from your OP as though you have been sacrificing your inner desires and talents to an ideal which is maybe more financially secure and objectively more respected, and now you have had a moment of realisation that this is not fulfilling in the long-term.

To me, this is typical of our academic generation whereby we are on this conveyor belt to pseudo-success, in the form of A Levels- good University (RG or die)- career in IB, law, consulting, corporate grad scheme. It is so wrapped in cotton wool that people tend not to think about what they really want from their life because they sacrifice that for kudos and to satisfy their parents who are living vicariously through them.

Correct me if wrong/tell me your story. Apologise for the assumption if incorrect.
    I'm not sure law is 'objectively more respected' than the performing arts, but I see what you mean.

I did believe that is what I wanted to do with my life, but I wasn't conscious of how unhappy I was with that route as compared to what I am now committing to. I think the degree to which we can think for ourselves in these matters is limited, especially when younger.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.