The Student Room Group

Is it possible to learn AS Chemistry over 6 weeks and get an A?

Doing about 2 hours a day?

Scroll to see replies

doing 2 hours a day or so?
AS Chemistry can be covered in a week lol.

Unit 1 is A-A* GCSE Chemistry.

Unit 2 will need a bit more work but if you're logical, you can easily, EASILY, get through redox and mechanisms. The rest is piss.
Reply 3
Original post by High Stakes

Unit 2 will need a bit more work but if you're logical, you can easily, EASILY, get through redox and mechanisms. The rest is piss.

How's your revision going for your A-levels?

(Sorry if this is hijacking the thread)
Original post by jamestg
How's your revision going for your A-levels?

(Sorry if this is hijacking the thread)

Good. But I'm placing a lot of stress on myself because I'm aiming for >95%'s. I'm literally gonna hop off in a minute or so since I study from 9:30 to about 1 and then take a break. I pick up again from 3 till later on.

I've been also trying to wake up earlier each day. Woke up at 8 yesterday, 7 today and hopefully 6 tomorrow. So I can start earlier.

How about you? Finding it good?
I don't see why not, but I'm sure you need to put more than 2hrs in
Reply 6
Anything is possible imo :smile:

are you joking? lol. my exam is in may and I know hardly anything but need to get an A :/ what method did you use? shall i spend time making flashcards for everythign first?
Original post by Dysprosium
I don't see why not, but I'm sure you need to put more than 2hrs in

how many?
Reply 9
Make like a revision plan though, so like a timetable of what you are going to revise and at what particular time. It works I promise
A lot depends on which GCSE you did:

OCR 21st Century - you'd have no hope.
One of the IGCSE - very likely.
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Make like a revision plan though, so like a timetable of what you are going to revise and at what particular time. It works I promise

thank you :smile:
Original post by Pigster
A lot depends on which GCSE you did:

OCR 21st Century - you'd have no hope.
One of the IGCSE - very likely.

OCR Gateway so covered moles and all that stuff unlike 21st century
A grades are given to the top 20(ish) percent of candidates, and considering everyone else will have been studying the subject for nearly a year, you'll be severely disadvantaged. Also, you'll be self-studying making it harder.
Sure it's possible, but 2hrs a day is just over what I did in 9 months to learn the syllabus. If you're going to do it make a revision plan and stick to it so that you can fit in the modules, plus revision.
Only you can know if you're capable of doing it, everyone learns at different rates.
Plus (this is a guess but) if the 95% is about getting into Oxbridge, as long as you have four As at AS they'll consider you. - my friend received an offer from Oxford to do Chemistry having only 90 UMS average.

From someone who got an A in OCR Chemistry AS last year

(Sorry if this comes off as negative, just trying to help 😁)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kflexman
A grades are given to the top 20(ish) percent of candidates, and considering everyone else will have been studying the subject for nearly a year, you'll be severely disadvantaged. Also, you'll be self-studying making it harder.
Sure it's possible, but 2hrs a day is just over what I did in 9 months to learn the syllabus. If you're going to do it make a revision plan and stick to it so that you can fit in the modules, plus revision.
Only you can know if you're capable of doing it, everyone learns at different rates.
Plus (this is a guess but) if the 95% is about getting into Oxbridge, as long as you have four As at AS they'll consider you. - my friend received an offer from Oxford to do Chemistry having only 90 UMS average.

From someone who got an A in OCR Chemistry AS last year

(Sorry if this comes off as negative, just trying to help 😁)

Thanks a lot :smile: how about doing 2 hours a day for 12 weeks? Is that possible do you think? And what method did you use? Shall I start by learning the organic or physical and moles? Sorry for many questions, I just really need 4As and this is the subject worrying me
Original post by therealdonny
Thanks a lot :smile: how about doing 2 hours a day for 12 weeks? Is that possible do you think? And what method did you use? Shall I start by learning the organic or physical and moles? Sorry for many questions, I just really need 4As and this is the subject worrying me

That's fine I'm happy to help 😊

2hrs a day for twelve weeks works out at 168 hours in total (assuming no rest days which to me seems a bit intense). I just tried estimating how many hours I spent on Chemistry last year (class time and homework) and my (slightly inaccurate) calculation came out as 160 hours in total, so it actually seems legitimate for you to do that.

Also, perhaps you'll have less time wasted as in my lessons at school we tend to procrastinate quite a bit! (The teacher's very relaxed)

We started with the physical chemistry unit, which I would recommend because it explains concepts that the rest of Chemistry builds on. Then we started Organic Chemistry afterwards. What exam board are you going to study? Also what other subjects do you do?(Just curious) - Maths is a big help to Chemistry.

If you ever need to ask for help with Chemistry feel free to PM me and I can try to help
doing 2 hours a day or so?

YES :smile:
Reply 17

If u don't mind, can u share with me your AS UMS? Thanks
Doing about 2 hours a day?

I'm not sure about the new course, but if it's anything like the old course then you'd be pushing it, particularly if it's from scratch. Chemistry requires a lot of time and understanding to do well in.

Having said that, there's no reason not to try, and if you use those 2 hours a day really well (and possible increase that if necessary, particularly on weekends) then it's not impossible.
Firstly, after doing some research here, just get of TSR and get on with the work!:smile: It can get distracting sometimes.
Remember, if you revise the two hours properly and increase it on weekends, you should be fine, it is very much do-able.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest