Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a British citizen who moved to Perth, Western Australia in November 2012. I finished my secondary education in December 2015 and have since received an offer from a UK university. The university is currently in the process of determining my fee status as to whether I am a home or oversees student. Either way I will still need financial support however one of the conditions for applying loans is to have lived in the UK 3 years prior to the start of my course. Could any exceptions be made given that I am a UK national? If not, how else will I finance my studies? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradfordaussie)
    So I'm a British citizen who moved to Perth, Western Australia in November 2012. I finished my secondary education in December 2015 and have since received an offer from a UK university. The university is currently in the process of determining my fee status as to whether I am a home or oversees student. Either way I will still need financial support however one of the conditions for applying loans is to have lived in the UK 3 years prior to the start of my course. Could any exceptions be made given that I am a UK national? If not, how else will I finance my studies? Cheers
    Entitlement is based on residency rather than nationality, so unfortunately your British citizenship will have nothing to do with it. Your case will be judged purely by the regulations, which don't allow for exceptions - either you meet the requirements or you don't. Both universities and Student Finance will use the benchmark of three years of continuous UK residency immediately before the start of your degree.

If you can prove that your time in Aus was only temporary and that you/your family maintained a permanent link to the UK and had always intended to return, then you may have a case. A friend of mine lived in the Far East for 15 years whilst remaining "ordinarily resident" in the UK, as he used a series of temporary contract work and tourism visas - he never had a permanent residency visa. However that took a bit of planning to maintain; he had a bank account in the UK which he made sure was used regularly, he came back to the UK every year to see his dentist and GP and he continued paying tax and National Insurance in the UK.

If you/your family haven't done any of that, then you're likely to be assessed as an International student. That will sadly mean sky high tuition fees and no Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Entitlement is based on residency rather than nationality, so unfortunately your British citizenship will have nothing to do with it. Your case will be judged purely by the regulations, which don't allow for exceptions - either you meet the requirements or you don't. Both universities and Student Finance will use the benchmark of three years of continuous UK residency immediately before the start of your degree.

If you can prove that your time in Aus was only temporary and that you/your family maintained a permanent link to the UK and had always intended to return, then you may have a case. A friend of mine lived in the Far East for 15 years whilst remaining "ordinarily resident" in the UK, as he used a series of temporary contract work and tourism visas - he never had a permanent residency visa. However that took a bit of planning to maintain; he had a bank account in the UK which he made sure was used regularly, he came back to the UK every year to see his dentist and GP and he continued paying tax and National Insurance in the UK.

If you/your family haven't done any of that, then you're likely to be assessed as an International student. That will sadly mean sky high tuition fees and no Student Finance.
    Is there a way to receive loans from another institution like a bank or something that would not have such conditions?

ReputationRep:
    Is there a way to receive loans from another institution like a bank or something that would not have such conditions?
    You should check out Future Finance UK. I was able to get student funding that way instead of via Student Finance Englqad. However, you would have to pay a monthly sum each month even whilst at university.

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Certainy UK banks won't lend for undergrad study and I'd be surprised in Aus banks do.

Beware alternative lenders like Future Finance (whose rep will be along shortly to sell their products). Check other discussions here about them and look carefully at their small print. The above poster is correct that you start making repayments as soon as you get the loan - essentially they loan you money, add interest, and start wanting it back immediately. The interest rates and repayment terms are commercial+ -they lend to those with no other sources of funding and can make their own rules.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.