Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have applied for Economics/French (LR11) at the University of Glasgow. The university's website and UCAS state that students will be made offers as follows:

"Applicants will receive an offer conditional on attaining AAB. Applicants who achieve AAB are guaranteed entry. Applicants who achieve grades less than AAB but higher than BBB will be considered for entry. Must include at least one Arts, Humanities or Language subject."

I have achieved BBBb In Economics,Geography, French and History respectively at A2 last year. I have decided to take a gap year and study part time. I am retaking two Economics modules, sitting A2 Italian and AS Mathematics. I am predicted an A in each subject, thus applying with AABab in Economics, Italian, French, Maths and History respectively.

UCAS Track is reads "Your grades do not meet the requirements for this programme". The university website gave me the impression that I clearly have the grades to be admitted on the course?

It's needless to say that I am devastated. Glasgow has been one of my dream institutions for a long time and getting declined has really taken its toll on me. But most importantly why have I been rejected on the basis that I don't have the grades eventhough their website says that I do?

It would be great to discuss this with others that are or have been on the same boat.
    Is there anything that can be done about it now?
    Is there a way to receive more extensive feedback?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cognoscente)
    Hi all,

I have applied for Economics/French (LR11) at the University of Glasgow. The university's website and UCAS state that students will me made offers.

"Applicants will receive an offer conditional on attaining AAB. Applicants who achieve AAB are guaranteed entry. Applicants who achieve grades less than AAB but higher than BBB will be considered for entry. Must include at least one Arts, Humanities or Language subject."

I have achieved BBBb In Economics,Geography, French and History respectively at A2 last year. I have decided to take a gap year and study part time. I am Retaking 2 economics modules, sitting A2 Italian and AS Mathematics. I am predicted an A in each subject, thus applying with AABab in Economics, Italian, French, Maths and History respectively.

UCAS Track is reads "Your grades do not meet the requirements for this programme". The university website gave me the impression that I clearly have the grades to be admitted on the course?

It's needless to say that I am devastated. Glasgow has been one of my dream institutions for a long time and getting declined has really taken its toll on me. But most importantly why have I been rejected on the basis that I don't have the grades eventhough their website says that I do?

It would be great to discuss this with others that are or have been on the same boat.
    Is there anything that can be done about it now?
    Is there a way to receive more extensive feedback?
    You currently have BBB and they want AAB so you don't have the grades they want.
    Perhaps they'd rather a student who completes their A levels in two years, not three.
    You could call and ask for more extensive feedback but this will not change their decision and they are not inclined to provide you with any feedback anyway. Just move on and wait for your other offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    You currently have BBB and they want AAB so you don't have the grades they want.
    Perhaps they'd rather a student who completes their A levels in two years, not three.
    You could call and ask for more extensive feedback but this will not change their decision and they are not inclined to provide you with any feedback anyway. Just move on and wait for your other offers.
    My predicted grades are AAB; exactly in line with their typical offer.

Most students, with the exception of those applying for deferred entry, will receive offers based on their predicted grades. In that respect I still fail to understand why "Your grades do not meet the requirements for this programme."

But you might be right about them disliking students who study for a third year.

Have you been through the process of receiving feedback may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cognoscente)
    My predicted grades are AAB; exactly in line with their typical offer.

Most students students, with the exception of those applying for deferred entry, will receive offers based on their predicted grades. In that respect I still fail to understand why "Your grades do not meet the requirements for this programme."

But you might be right about them disliking students who study for a third year.

Have you been through the process of receiving feedback may I ask?
    Not necessarily. They may see the predicted grades as over inflated and can still reject a applicant on that basis, particularly if your course is a popular one.
    They can see that you've already completed your A levels and still haven't met the conditions of their offer whereas there are probably other applicants with AS grades of AAB or similar.

No, I haven't. I have had friends who have tried but the unis had always said that they're unable to provide any extra feedback. You can give it a try like I said, but it's unlikely to change their decision.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with CherryRed... I think Glasgow are quite pragmatic when it comes to offers. They don't seem interested in predicted grades that often...

Besides, if they have filled the class with applicants who already have the grades, it's job done and people with predicted grades certainly won't be considered.

That said - I feel gutted for you, I'd feel the same if I got rejected from somewhere I'd longed to go. Very best of luck wherever you end up.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.