Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Road to A* everywhere Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Okay, thanks for this, I will do some research on it and ask when I go to college

Your help is much appreciated

Morning,

I have a younger sister in year 10 who will be sitting her GCSE mocks in a few weeks at school and those results will determine which class she'll go into and whether she can sit triple science and other opportunities like that.

In my opinion, she wakes up too late on a weekend and goes to bed too early to get an genuine revision done. She also spends 1 hour at a time on just getting out of bed and having breakfast. During the day, she works slowly and is easily distracted every time the house phone rings in the next room or the door bell rings- really she just needs an excuse to stop 'working'.

Excuse the mini rant, I just get frustrated with her and she doesn't listen to my advice nor my parents.

I was hoping if you could kindly email me the time that you start your revision on a typical weekend and what time you finish it as it may help my sister realise that there are other people in the world, working hard to excel in their exams.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Glad I could be of assistance - as for sketchnoting it is basically turning as much of the wordy stuff as you can into pictures. This way you can create mental associations with what you have taken notes on - it may be useful for concepts as you can draw out stages or something like that. If you type it into Google images there are loads of examples

I have applied for 2 colleges through their online application systems and at the minute at school I study, English lit and language, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History, German, Geography and ICT.
    I tried sketchnoting yesterday on B6 and it worked really well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkcalculator23)
    Morning,

I have a younger sister in year 10 who will be sitting her GCSE mocks in a few weeks at school and those results will determine which class she'll go into and whether she can sit triple science and other opportunities like that.

In my opinion, she wakes up too late on a weekend and goes to bed too early to get an genuine revision done. She also spends 1 hour at a time on just getting out of bed and having breakfast. During the day, she works slowly and is easily distracted every time the house phone rings in the next room or the door bell rings- really she just needs an excuse to stop 'working'.

Excuse the mini rant, I just get frustrated with her and she doesn't listen to my advice nor my parents.

I was hoping if you could kindly email me the time that you start your revision on a typical weekend and what time you finish it as it may help my sister realise that there are other people in the world, working hard to excel in their exams.

Thank you
    Tell her she's not only competing against people in her school but she's competing against people in the UK. Only a certain amount gets A*s, As etc for GCSEs (that's what I have been told). She's competing against amazing private school and grammar school kids and students from really good state schools as well. If she puts in the revision now she'll have to do less next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think it will probably be in a fortnight although we haven't been given an exact date because of the mocks. How did yours go? Could you fit it into 6 minutes?
    Yes, thankfully! I was so nervous though but when I did it it was the best I'd ever rehearsed it so it went really well and I managed to do it in 5:32 which was good
    My teacher said that she genuinely couldn't find one mistake in it and my content was really good (she even laughed at something "funny" I'd said)
    She gave me 30/30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Yes, thankfully! I was so nervous though but when I did it it was the best I'd ever rehearsed it so it went really well and I managed to do it in 5:32 which was good
    My teacher said that she genuinely couldn't find one mistake in it and my content was really good (she even laughed at something "funny" I'd said)
    She gave me 30/30
    Lucky my teacher accidentally messed up my one and it was A* material so I had to do it again and it wasn't as good unfortunately so I am annoyed lol. She said that its really good though and that it is definitely a medium to high A and will see with other teachers if its an A* grrr ahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeena_hunt5476)
    Lucky my teacher accidentally messed up my one and it was A* material so I had to do it again and it wasn't as good unfortunately so I am annoyed lol. She said that its really good though and that it is definitely a medium to high A and will see with other teachers if its an A* grrr ahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh no! How did your teacher mess it up?

ReputationRep:
    It was a role play assessment so she asked questions I answered etc. She ended up asking the same questions like 3 times which I have already answered and then she wasn't properly listening to what I was saying and was asking questions again that I already mentioned in my answers which confused me hahaha. Also I had to ask at least two questions to improve my grade and she ended up not answering them properly hahahaha! Im annoyed that I am not guaranteed the A* but it's at least an A. If it was a B (which I got last time) there would've been no point retaking and obviously anything less than a B would've definitely annoyed me ahahhaa!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your grade! That's amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It was a role play assessment so she asked questions I answered etc. She ended up asking the same questions like 3 times which I have already answered and then she wasn't properly listening to what I was saying and was asking questions again that I already mentioned in my answers which confused me hahaha. Also I had to ask at least two questions to improve my grade and she ended up not answering them properly hahahaha! Im annoyed that I am not guaranteed the A* but it's at least an A. If it was a B (which I got last time) there would've been no point retaking and obviously anything less than a B would've definitely annoyed me ahahhaa!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh that sucks, you'd at least think that as a languages teacher she would actually listen to what you were saying
    Can you get it sorted out? Or are you stuck with the A? An A is still a good grade though, and don't forget you've still got the exams to help pull it up
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkcalculator23)
    Morning,

Thank you

Hi there,

I know completely what you mean - my brother is in Year 10 too and he is one who stays up all night playing games and wakes up really late, although now he is starting to improve after I found a way to encourage him to work a bit more.

For me, my day starts at 6:30 and I spend half an hour getting breakfast and washing/relaxing. Then at 7:00 I will get changed and sort out my revision materials so I can start as soon as possible. Normally at a weekend, I will work from about 7 until 10 or 11 o clock and then break for lunch until about 2 or 3 and start again until about 18:00 and then do a couple of hours before bed. So it's about 21:00 when I actually wind down. Then I am in bed for 10 o clock.

This might seem a bit excessive but I must remember that when I turn up for the job, and there are the 200 other applicants there too, I want my grades to look the bests, rather than look at them and regret not getting up a few hours earlier to cover the topics on the test.

As a final point, if I prepare myself now for getting up earlier, not only does it help me feel less tired in the day when I have school, but also, when I get a job in the future, I am unlikely going to be able to dictate the hours I want to start or finish, so being able to work at various hours in my 'free-time' prepares me well for this.

I hope this helps
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veganavb)
    I tried sketchnoting yesterday on B6 and it worked really well!
    I'm really pleased for you - I'm glad you've found a technique that works. I've never really used it as a method on its own so it's great to hear it is a good one for people like yourself

Keep me updated with how your revision is going
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    She gave me 30/30
    Really well done!!!

30/30 is amazing and I'm sure your linguistic capabilities are much better than mine
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry to hear that and it's a shame that it affected you even though it was not your fault. I'm sure though other teachers will mark your work highly and you'll get the grades you want.

Good luck with it all Let me know if you need anything
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE:

So I've been at a club all morning but this afternoon and this evening I plan to:
    • Print past papers
    • Make notes cards for my walls with key information
    • Look over Geography to catch up as to where we are at (from before the mocks and half term)
    • Make a start on English Literature character booklets I am going to make from scratch to include key quotes, interesting vocab and key scenes
    • Tidy my room so I only have the bare minimum
    • Sort all my notes I made for these mocks so I know where I am up to
    • Draft more German for my writing assesment - Ideally 3 A4 pages
    I'll let you know tonight if I manage to get any of this done
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Really well done!!!

30/30 is amazing and I'm sure your linguistic capabilities are much better than mine
    Ah thank you

ReputationRep:
    I want to make a thread like this, is it too late?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithfullymee)
    If you say that you would be the first in your family I would recommend that you apply to MAP when you get in college it will increase your chance of getting into a uni and it's just good for you overall.... I'm doing MAP now though I'm in college (first year)
    s

Whats MAP
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    I want to make a thread like this, is it too late?
    Hi, yes I think it is too late to enter the competition but not too late for you if you just want to make one for yourself to detail your revision

ReputationRep:
    Oh that sucks, you'd at least think that as a languages teacher she would actually listen to what you were saying
    Can you get it sorted out? Or are you stuck with the A? An A is still a good grade though, and don't forget you've still got the exams to help pull it up
    No I can't unfortunately. It was my last chance to get it up haha. Now I just have to wait and see if the other teachers believe it is worthy of an A*. Yh you're right haha the exams can pull it up. I was able to get 40/40 for both my listening and reading for my french mocks seriously though well done on the 30/30! French oral is more difficult than people say it is so congratulations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that and it's a shame that it affected you even though it was not your fault. I'm sure though other teachers will mark your work highly and you'll get the grades you want.

Good luck with it all Let me know if you need anything
    Aww haha thank you I hope so too but at least it's an A right? I just have to work extra hard in the exams!

Thank you good luck to you as well! U'll do really well im sure Let me know if you need anything as well we can help each other out XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.