Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Road to A* everywhere Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahim Rampuri)
    so how are you doing with papers till late? i expect all A*s from you.. good luck
    Practice papers have been the main focus of my revision, and the exams I have sat so far have not always been the nicest but I gave it my all - Thank you - are you doing exams? Good luck if you are!

(Original post by Mac117)
    Well due to personal issues I did not do my best in some of the exams, which might be the reason for A's where there should've been A*s. My school does not mind but they say I should wait for my results first. :P
    Oh sorry to hear that! I'm sure you won't need to retake any of them

(Original post by NiamhM1801)
    That maths paper was lovely! The only mistake I've discovered so far is stupidly forgetting to half my answer on the last question so it was over 6 instead of 12 but that'll still mean 98ish marks if I haven't dropped any more anywhere else!

It was very nice not to have to revise last night as I was so confident for maths too!

EDIT: also found out I massively screwed up the standard form question whoops
    It was sooooo good, I was surprised - we went through it in class and I have between 90-95 marks so that's pleasing

(Original post by typicalstudent1)
    I think it was really nice too! Except I completely disregarded the alternate segment theorem and so didn't finish that circle theorem question. It's a shame because I'm usually good at those questions.
    Glad you found it so good, sounds like you really deserve it
    Shame about the circle theorem but I'm sure you've aced it - best of luck with the rest of your exams

ReputationRep:
    An A is a very good grade!
    And I'm the opposite, English is one of my weakest subjects and Maths is my best. I'd definitely fail History if I did it that's for sure!
    I see. Are you a girl ? Apparently girls do better at written subjects. That's what my English teacher told me and then I was the only one that got an A* Literature overall in the mocks for my class.Lmao. It's funny because the doctors told my mother that I was a girl after birth but they realised I was a boy. The biblical cord was in the way. 😅😅😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    I see. Are you a girl ? Apparently girls do better at written subjects. That's what my English teacher told me and then I was the only one that got an A* Literature overall in the mocks for my class.Lmao. It's funny because the doctors told my mother that I was a girl after birth but they realised I was a boy. The biblical cord was in the way. 😅😅😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'm a girl so guess your teachers logic is a bit off haha! And really? That's a pretty big mistake to make!
    Oh and do you mean umbilical cord?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm a girl so guess your teachers logic is a bit off haha! And really? That's a pretty big mistake to make!
    Oh and do you mean umbilical cord?
    Yeah. No word of a lie. Oh yeah. Lol. No wonder I had thought biblical sounded a bit weird. 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. No word of a lie. Oh yeah. Lol. No wonder I had thought biblical sounded a bit weird. 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's so strange! How long did it take them to realise? Not long I hope haha

ALL HAIL THE HOLY CORD 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    I know you've heard this so many times by now but I just saw this thread yesterday morning before my Edexcel Physics iGCSE exam and it is so amazing and inspirational, so thank you!

I really needed to see that at least one other person was working really hard for that a* and knows it is possible because I go to a school where not many people seem to care about their education as much as I do.

Last year I moved form one country to another in the middle of an exam year. I went back and forth between two schools in different countries for 5 months, which was hectic, not to mention expensive! It was a difficult time but like you said I just seemed to turn to studying to distract myself and I ended up getting all As ( and in that country A was the highest grade). No one in my family was expecting this so it made me realise that determination and hard work can make it possible to get what you want

However, this year I had another exam year ( I moved from a country where exam year is Year 10 to the UK where I am doing GCSEs in Year 11) and I seemed to lose all motivation. I got tired of people saying 'if I was as clever as you my exams would be so easy', because I know the only reason I got good grades was through super hard work.I had a really bad attitude all of this year, but after reading this thread something has clicked and I have realised again why I am studying and that working hard for good grades is worth it

Anyway, thanks for the posts! It's hard to believe it is only three weeks until I am finished GCSEs!

Good luck to you all with the rest of your exams!
    Maybe you will do another thread for AS and A levels

PS I'm not sure how to reply because I have never used this site before but hopefully it will work!

ReputationRep:

I don't actually know. I'll ask and let you know. LMAO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

So. She said that when I was born the umbilical cord was wrapped around IT so they couldn't really tell and assumed I was a girl. The funny thing is that I've always been told that my face looks feminine and masculine at the same time. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So. She said that when I was born the umbilical cord was wrapped around IT so they couldn't really tell and assumed I was a girl. The funny thing is that I've always been told that my face looks feminine and masculine at the same time. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow haha that's definitely an interesting scenario to think about! Lmao. And that's so weird haha, kind of a coincidence but not quite

ReputationRep:
    Wow haha that's definitely an interesting scenario to think about! Lmao. And that's so weird haha, kind of a coincidence but not quite
    Yeah. That's what all my family members say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wonderful Maths paper today, sad to know the marks I dropped were little stupid errors so I'm hoping for a score of 94% or above! I wonder how the calculator paper will be like

ReputationRep:
    Did you guys hear about people petitioning against the Maths Edexcel paper ? I can't believe we're having a repeat of 2015. At least that means the grade boundaries will be low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty straightforward compared to the 2015 paper - I think Edexcel was definitely worried they would have a repeat of the Hannah and her sweets outrage last year! However a lot of people are saying they found it really hard so maybe I just got a lot wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac117)
    Guys, one question. In my exam I had a week ago I used the word "badass" for my character description. I used it mainly just to make the examiner chuckle, and it was the only non-descriptive word I used in both of my essays. Other than that they were both good, abstract, and addressed the questions adequately.

Will they take away marks for using this word? It did have that "feel" in the scene, and we even used that word in class (of course not seriously, but just as something fun). I'm afraid the examiner will see me therefore as less "mature". Thankfully I used that word in my last paragraph of my second essay, so they'll get to see that I am indeed serious about literature and its analysis.

So, should I worry? Or will they most likely realise it was simply to "brighten up the mood"? I'm a good literature student and have been scoring 23/25+ most of the two years in the course. I wouldn't want the stupid word to ruin my chances of an A*.

Ps. I do have another literature paper, but I will definitely not do something stupid like that again. Learned from my mistake.
    if you put the word 'badass' in quotation marks in your essay then you should be okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't counted up but I think I've got in the low 90s which is good
    I think I only screwed up 3 questions (so probably lost about 6ish marks) so I'm relatively happy!
    And yeah I did Edexcel - all of my friends and I found it easy but I have a feeling the grade boundaries will be fairly low as there were some pretty high level stuff in there that slightly lower ability pupils will have found hard (basically the entire second half of the paper) which is good for us as it means we're guaranteed pretty high A*s

EDIT: Looked at the unofficial mark scheme now that it's complete and I was right for thinking low 90s - I got 91. Quite happy with it as I made a LOT of silly mistakes!
    That's great! I feel relieved as this was the only subject I was so confident in!
    Hopefully, we'll get very high A*s

ReputationRep:
    Did you guys hear about people petitioning against the Maths Edexcel paper ? I can't believe we're having a repeat of 2015. At least that means the grade boundaries will be low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know what that is about as I believe the paper was easier than last year. I guess people got annoyed as the paper didn't start with steam and leaf diagrams or something. I personally liked this paper but if they lower the grade boundaries that will allow me to get a high A*.
    Did you do this paper? If so, how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    Update 26/05/16
    Maths went so well today! I checked the unofficial mark scheme so I think I'll at least get a 90 as I made some silly mistake. That was mainly due the clock in the exam hall being 10min BEHIND and I thought I had loads of time left.
    I'm so scared for English lit though!

- a view from the bridge theme, characters, story plot
    - a Christmas Carol themes, characters and plot plus AO4
    - read through my previous essays
    Did some maths revision in the morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahra30013)
    Update 26/05/16
    Maths went so well today! I checked the unofficial mark scheme so I think I'll at least get a 90 as I made some silly mistake. That was mainly due the clock in the exam hall being 10min BEHIND and I thought I had loads of time left.
    I'm so scared for English lit though!

- a view from the bridge theme, characters, story plot
    - a Christmas Carol themes, characters and plot plus AO4
    - read through my previous essays
    Did some maths revision in the morning

Good luck tomorrow! With all your revision the exam will go well hopefully I am doing English Lit too but I have an Inspector Calls tomorrow. So glad it will be my last exam before midterm!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah and tbh I find it ridiculous. Yes, last year's Hannah's sweets question was sort of meritable for complaints but today's paper was pretty straightforward and most people should have been able to score quite highly with some revision. In all honesty I think people just want the attention like those who campaigned last year got. Everything's about popularity these days (I sound so old omg) so they're just making a fuss out of nothing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahra30013)
    That's great! I feel relieved as this was the only subject I was so confident in!
    Hopefully, we'll get very high A*s
    Haha me too! This and German are about the only ones I know that whatever happens I'm good enough to be guaranteed an A* in!
    And yes, we should do. I've never seen the boundary for an A* higher than around 168 so we'll be well in there already

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.