The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
What GCSEs did you get ?

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔

A's and A*'s throughout, would of probably been all A*'s if I wasn't badly ill on the final few exam dates, was more than happy enough with the final result.
Original post by HandsomeRakk
A's and A*'s throughout, would of probably been all A*'s if I wasn't badly ill on the final few exam dates, was more than happy enough with the final result.

That's good. Well done. 👏👏👏👏

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
Original post by brainzistheword
Ah ok, as you are talking from experience then I can see where you have come from. However, each case is different and I actually do enjoy revising. I offer to help my friends with their revision which I do very often and I have also started looking at A level material.

I don't believe that relaxing with friends is the only way to enjoy yourself and relax, but that is just my opinion. As for my parents, they don't mind what I do and have never been concerned over whether I have friends or not.

If you don't mind me asking, how much revision did you do at GCSE and what grades did you get :smile:

Did less than 2 hours before each exam on the day, with minamal attension throughout the 2 year course.
Came out of it with A's and A*'s which I would owe the A's to being quite ill on the final few exam dates.

Seems like you have your head in the right place tbh, just think some people are prone to burning out before they finish their whole school career in the long term.

Wish you the best of luck, not that you need it though! XD
That's good. Well done. 👏👏👏👏

Thanks ^^
Did less than 2 hours before each exam on the day, with minamal attension throughout the 2 year course.
Came out of it with A's and A*'s which I would owe the A's to being quite ill on the final few exam dates.

Seems like you have your head in the right place tbh, just think some people are prone to burning out before they finish their whole school career in the long term.

I see where you are coming from. Good luck with your A levels. What uni are you hoping to apply to ?

Thanks ^^

No worries.

Wow well done - I just always had the mentality that I may as well put all the effort in now and have no regrets on results day than wonder what I could have done differently.

I completely understand everything you said and I appreciate the concern :biggrin:

Best of luck with anything you are doing :smile:

What advice would you give to me then? I am someone who has had an extremely unfortunate childhood/teenage-hood. Thus, I have been isolated from the majority of 'youngsters' in my area and school. So, I only have few friends. Am I wrong for wanting to study extremely hard to get away from this life that I dislike? Even though I live in Surrey, am I wrong for wanting to study hard so that I can get to a prestigious University? I am in year ten and am genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.
I see where you are coming from. Good luck with your A levels. What uni are you hoping to apply to ?

Applying for my dream course "Plant Science" which is only offered at 2 universities in the UK (i think) and got an offer from Nottingham which I've put down as my first choice so can't wait! Gonna get taught buy all the people in the top of their fields, moreover nightlife there is meant to be mega!

Are you doing A-levels atm?
Applying for my dream course "Plant Science" which is only offered at 2 universities in the UK (i think) and got an offer from Nottingham which I've put down as my first choice so can't wait! Gonna get taught buy all the people in the top of their fields, moreover nightlife there is meant to be mega!

Are you doing A-levels atm?

No. I'm doing GCSES at the moment. Wow. I've never heard of that degree before. My cousin goes to Nottingham. She's studying English Literature. I haven't heard about the night life over there but I'm sure the night life of any uni is amazing 😏😏😏😏
No. I'm doing GCSES at the moment. Wow. I've never heard of that degree before. My cousin goes to Nottingham. She's studying English Literature. I haven't heard about the night life over there but I'm sure the night life of any uni is amazing 😏😏😏😏

Tbh, I can't wait for the night life! Apparently, Oxford has good night life. Tbh, that was slightly surprising when I first found that out! But I guess it is a bonus to an already outstanding University and University life.
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Tbh, I can't wait for the night life! Apparently, Oxford has good night life. Tbh, that was slightly surprising when I first found that out! But I guess it is a bonus to an already outstanding University and University life.

Yeah. That's the one thing I can't wait for. The partying. The first year of uni is going to amazing.

Original post by brainzistheword
I will be doing tomorrow, but today my focus is on History :smile:

Yeh, I'm focusing today on Psychology :smile: But how are you going to revise for it ? All i'm doing is past papers and watching videos on youtube you ?
I'm focusing on Unit 1 History today. Good luck with your exams tomorrow.

Original post by nisha.sri
Yeh, I'm focusing today on Psychology :smile: But how are you going to revise for it ? All i'm doing is past papers and watching videos on youtube you ?

I honestly don't know, I might just make sure I know the formats and then leave it :smile:
What advice would you give to me then? I am someone who has had an extremely unfortunate childhood/teenage-hood. Thus, I have been isolated from the majority of 'youngsters' in my area and school. So, I only have few friends. Am I wrong for wanting to study extremely hard to get away from this life that I dislike? Even though I live in Surrey, am I wrong for wanting to study hard so that I can get to a prestigious University? I am in year ten and am genuinely interested in your thoughts on this.

A large part of this depends on your how you want to get through life, I have the same feeling of wanting to go to a prestigious university but I don't have the motivation to put in hours of work in to be the very best I can. I'm more than happy enough to get to the university and as long as I get into the Uni I want I'll be happy.

So far after going through lots of applications and open days, universities only care you got B/C's in english and maths for majority of courses.
This isn't completely true for high end degrees like medicine, some law and OxBridge which would require almost full A*'s in everything but that's because they get so many applicants they can chose as they please. Overall everyone thinks OxBridge have so much more than other universities, they really don't + I don't know about you but don't feel like I would fit in with the people there.

Year 10 is very early to be studying hard, if you get the concepts and can do whatever is being asked of you I wouldn't worry much. If you find something you can't do then that's the time to put in work and learn how to do it. Also I see you mention about getting away from people in the area you live in, that's a good way to convince yourself to work but I would recommend to try and be friends with who you can at this point. Don't waste time on people who will forget about you when you need some to turn too.

Could I ask what you dislike so much in your life? If it's lack of friends a prestigious university won't be the ultimate solution, yes you will meet new people there who may be more privileged but don't for a second let that fool you that they will be better people. I've found I prefer to be with honest people and these always tend to be people with more life experience.

Throughout life people concentrate way too much on money, IMO but I think that when you know a true connection is made with someone, money doesn't even cross your mind.

As I'm a slacker take what I say with a pinch of salt as it's my view and works for some and not for others. If you're a bright kid or hard working no matter what happens I'm sure you'll go far in life.

Hope I helped even a little ^^
Yeah. That's the one thing I can't wait for. The partying. The first year of uni is going to amazing.

haha, don't get very distracted though :wink:
Where my IGCSE History Paper 4 people at? Last paper, but sure as hell a pretty important one. :eek4: Anyone doing USA as the depth study?
haha, don't get very distracted though :wink:

Yeah. The problem is I can't tame the beast within. As soon as the exams are over I'm going to be partying everyday. I guess I'm hungry like the wolf 😏😏😏. Obviously I'm going to put my head down when I need to but the 1st year is always the year that you do the partying in.

As great as this is you need to go outside more and do something, really you are wasting your time completely if you are getting higher than the A* band.
Did no revision for GCSE's and came out with A and A*'s paying no attention in class for 2 years.
You are wasting your time, go make some friends and do something more in life, GCSE's are almost meaningless in this day and age, no one will be impressed with how you got all A*'s as 90% of GCSE's are common sense!

Also the saying goes it's not what you know but who you know. Extremely true for getting far in life so go outside and meet people, bet your parents are worried you've got no friends or something?

Aww that's so not nice :frown: She can do whatever she wants really it's her choice.
Different people are different ! She enjoys revising so let her :smile:
I'm sure she has friends and I bet you her parents are not concerned about her. They would probably be extremely proud and so grateful to have a such intelligent daughter like her :smile:

Btw VERY WELL DONE on your GCSE :biggrin: Are you currently doing A-levels ? If so which ones ?

Quick Reply