Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Road to A* everywhere Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    Our school does that when the grade boundaries are like 27/40 sometimes and the max it has been is like 33/40. Yet our school uses 36 for an A* which is kinda ridiculous in exam conditions.
    They only do it to make themselves look better - if it's seen that their classes make loads of progress then it looks good on them. Teachers are quite selfish really (and this is coming from someone who wants to be one!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    Did your friends just randomly search your name into Google then?

It was really infuriating because today in English the teacher said that the grade boundary for an A* was 90%. Now, I thought that this was wayyy to high so looked at the edexcel website. It said that to get an A* you needed to get roughly 78%. So, effectively my teachers all lie to us about grade boundaries to make us work harder! Slightly unfair and weird if you ask me...

Anyway, a girl in my English class got mid 80s. She has very pressurising parents who say that if she doesn't get in the 90s than she is a failure. Which I think is an awful situation to be in, having that amount of pressure on one girls shoulders - even with her just being in year ten. I remember her saying that if she didn't get straight A*'s in her GCSES - even receiving just one A she would consider herself to be a 'failure.' Believe me, myself and her had a very heated conversation at the beginning of year ten about this. Our teacher had to separate us since we were disrupting the rest of the class. So the girl was really angry and annoyed about the mark she received and had a massive sulk throughout the lesson, literally crying - which I thought was ridiculous, I mean she had performed immensely well! I was slightly frustrated about her constant moaning of 'how bad her result was,' so I showed her the edexcel IGCSE English language grade boundaries, clearing stating that she had received an A*. 'Oh no Hannah, my teacher last year said that to get an A* you had to get 90%.' I honestly rolled my eyes at her, not intentionally :/ - like, I'm sorry but can she not see how the teachers try to trick us so that we work harder! It is 78% for an A* in that particular paper which we took! Then, I got annoyed and so left her to moan and complain. I have a table on my school iPad where I have entered in my results for end of year tens, and I will enter in my mock year eleven results as well - to see my improvements. The complaining girl LOOKED over my shoulder and read all of my results, exclaiming to the whole class that apparently I had performed 'badly.' And I said that I didn't think that I had, plus I didn't do much revision. 'Oh Hannah, it's easy to get straight A*'s with no revision, obviously you aren't capable to be at this school.' Now that for me was effectively the breaking point. Honestly, she had reached a nerve with me. I work so hard, slaving away to get where I am in life and for her to say that...! So, I excused myself and went to the toilet, pretty scared about how I would have reacted to her comment if I had stayed behind.

When I returned from the toilet, I walked back into the classroom and witnessed my teacher getting very frustrated with the girl. Telling the girl that 'she had to stop her behaviour and attitude as it was unacceptable' stating that 'there were many other girls who didn't score as high as you.' Causing the moaning girl to slump her shoulders and continue to sulk. Literally everyone in the class was getting really agitated by her behaviour.

One of my closest friends told me that in maths that particular girl always asks for more marks in the papers. Questioning the teacher on every single question... I mean this girls anxiety levels must be sky high. Tbh, I smile to myself - knowing that she would not survive in the real world. That may sound mean, but... She is frustrating and gets me down. I can't be negative, I have to remain positve.
    Ouch,,,that girl must be a pain..I hv a girl like that in my class...she sits next to me as well..that's the worst part..I just tell her to shut up tbh and she does...cuz everybody hates her in our class...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to bed guys and girls. If you guys have got exams tomorrow then I wish you the very best. 👍👍👍👍👍 Just remember to go in there guns blazing. 👌

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔

ReputationRep:
    Did your friends just randomly search your name into Google then?

It was really infuriating because today in English the teacher said that the grade boundary for an A* was 90%. Now, I thought that this was wayyy to high so looked at the edexcel website. It said that to get an A* you needed to get roughly 78%. So, effectively my teachers all lie to us about grade boundaries to make us work harder! Slightly unfair and weird if you ask me...

Anyway, a girl in my English class got mid 80s. She has very pressurising parents who say that if she doesn't get in the 90s than she is a failure. Which I think is an awful situation to be in, having that amount of pressure on one girls shoulders - even with her just being in year ten. I remember her saying that if she didn't get straight A*'s in her GCSES - even receiving just one A she would consider herself to be a 'failure.' Believe me, myself and her had a very heated conversation at the beginning of year ten about this. Our teacher had to separate us since we were disrupting the rest of the class. So the girl was really angry and annoyed about the mark she received and had a massive sulk throughout the lesson, literally crying - which I thought was ridiculous, I mean she had performed immensely well! I was slightly frustrated about her constant moaning of 'how bad her result was,' so I showed her the edexcel IGCSE English language grade boundaries, clearing stating that she had received an A*. 'Oh no Hannah, my teacher last year said that to get an A* you had to get 90%.' I honestly rolled my eyes at her, not intentionally :/ - like, I'm sorry but can she not see how the teachers try to trick us so that we work harder! It is 78% for an A* in that particular paper which we took! Then, I got annoyed and so left her to moan and complain. I have a table on my school iPad where I have entered in my results for end of year tens, and I will enter in my mock year eleven results as well - to see my improvements. The complaining girl LOOKED over my shoulder and read all of my results, exclaiming to the whole class that apparently I had performed 'badly.' And I said that I didn't think that I had, plus I didn't do much revision. 'Oh Hannah, it's easy to get straight A*'s with no revision, obviously you aren't capable to be at this school.' Now that for me was effectively the breaking point. Honestly, she had reached a nerve with me. I work so hard, slaving away to get where I am in life and for her to say that...! So, I excused myself and went to the toilet, pretty scared about how I would have reacted to her comment if I had stayed behind.

When I returned from the toilet, I walked back into the classroom and witnessed my teacher getting very frustrated with the girl. Telling the girl that 'she had to stop her behaviour and attitude as it was unacceptable' stating that 'there were many other girls who didn't score as high as you.' Causing the moaning girl to slump her shoulders and continue to sulk. Literally everyone in the class was getting really agitated by her behaviour.

One of my closest friends told me that in maths that particular girl always asks for more marks in the papers. Questioning the teacher on every single question... I mean this girls anxiety levels must be sky high. Tbh, I smile to myself - knowing that she would not survive in the real world. That may sound mean, but... She is frustrating and gets me down. I can't be negative, I have to remain positve.
    Ouch,,,that girl must be a pain..I hv a girl like that in my class...she sits next to me as well..that's the worst part..I just tell her to shut up every time she says anything tbh...I feel really stupid for that..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it is so hot and i can't sleep, so i am watching love island😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    They only do it to make themselves look better - if it's seen that their classes make loads of progress then it looks good on them. Teachers are quite selfish really (and this is coming from someone who wants to be one!)
    Never thought it like that

ReputationRep:
    Same..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it is so hot and i can't sleep, so i am watching love island😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ikr...it is boiling...have fun watching that...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i've known it since year 2 tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's a relief! Did she know it was you or were you both oblivious? Haha how does it feel to have a stalker
    She knew it was me but didn't think to tell me it was her! I have to say I'm a little scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Really? We clocked on ages ago haha

i've known it since year 2 tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    More like year 7 for me as my primary school rarely even tested us anyway
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacpotato)
    She knew it was me but didn't think to tell me it was her! I have to say I'm a little scared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow creepy! Haha who knows what her next secret move will be?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    7/06/2016 - 'I-forgot-to' update

Forgot to update yesterday as I was too busy revising! I did manage to get quite a bit done though

Yesterday I:
    -like 20 German vocab mastered on Memrise. This really wasn't my priority yesterday, I'll do some on the bus this morning.
    -(almost) full notes on changing urban environments for geography
    -(almost) full notes on tourism for geography

Not a long list but quite a lot of work for each geography unit (as they're not exactly small) so I'm relatively pleased.

ReputationRep:
    Really? We clocked on ages ago haha

More like year 7 for me as my primary school rarely even tested us anyway
    Our teachers in English seemed to drill the idea grade boundaries are always 36. In the last three years, that was always the standards. Anyway it is nice to know I don't have to worry too much about English no

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally going to be revising biology all day today and tomorrow cuz my teacher sucked at teaching...I had to teach my self the whole of biology...so I can't really expect any good grades in biology...😪

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol, just lost my only two friends at school. Yes, I still have 'acquaintances' but I wouldn't count those people as 'friends.' One of the friends who I lost completely insulted and ripped apart my love of literature and my views of state schools being equal to private schools! Calling me prejudiced... Like I will not be friends with someone like that. I would rather them be removed from my life. The other 'friend' who I lost is incredibly weak and will stick to just hanging out with that girl and another girl who isn't very nice. I took great offense by having my love of English insulted because it is very personal and close to me.

Anyway, I got a high B in chemistry, so that's alright

ReputationRep:
    Lol, just lost my only two friends at school. Yes, I still have 'acquaintances' but I wouldn't count those people as 'friends.' One of the friends who I lost completely insulted and ripped apart my love of literature and my views of state schools being equal to private schools! Calling me prejudiced... Like I will not be friends with someone like that. I would rather them be removed from my life. The other 'friend' who I lost is incredibly weak and will stick to just hanging out with that girl and another girl who isn't very nice. I took great offense by having my love of English insulted because it is very personal and close to me.

Well done Hannah. This is why I don't like being too close to people. I simply have a acquaintances and nothing but that. Of course there are people that I trust and have had a long friendship with but the thing is that I just like being on my own.This is the reason why I've been nicknamed the 'Lone wolf' by people and especially my English teacher. Lol. He's the one that started it.

I strongly believe that one does not form 'true friendship' until college or even university because you're still in the process of development and your interests, mindset and path of life changes during secondary school. I knew loads of people really well and we drifted apart due to the change of interest and paths in life. True friends are those that help you when in need not those that you play football with or people that are a good laugh,

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔

ReputationRep:

Aww..it's fine Hannah...I've never had any friends tbh..I've only ever had acquaintances...besides think on the bright side...they don't deserve you...you'll get better friends once you're in uni...
    Well done for your chemistry though...so proud of u...☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agh, so I have just heard that loads of people were discussing their opinions about me in their class today. Apparently I was called 'pretentious' and 'angry.' These attitudes are said to have come through when I was in physics and answering questions. So, I thought back to that time and I can only conclude that people are calling me that because I have a strong desire to perform well in my subjects. Perhaps I was angry because I didn't perform as well as I would have wanted to in the paper, but I don't understand why they have the right to think that of me. I mean they don't even know me... Personally, I don't think that I am 'pretentious' at all! Maybe I have a wider range of vocab and greater knowledge of the arts? Idek. I try and use my brain to enjoy life! Right now I am trying to think back to a time where I have acted 'pretentious,' and actually can't think of one.. Lol, I have massive issues relating to people. I mean I can do short term friendships and acquaintances, but I obviously suck at long term friendships. 😂
    I am finally being me and again, people don't like it. I can never make anyone happy.

ReputationRep:
    Agh, so I have just heard that loads of people were discussing their opinions about me in their class today. Apparently I was called 'pretentious' and 'angry.' These attitudes are said to have come through when I was in physics and answering questions. So, I thought back to that time and I can only conclude that people are calling me that because I have a strong desire to perform well in my subjects. Perhaps I was angry because I didn't perform as well as I would have wanted to in the paper, but I don't understand why they have the right to think that of me. I mean they don't even know me... Personally, I don't think that I am 'pretentious' at all! Maybe I have a wider range of vocab and greater knowledge of the arts? Idek. I try and use my brain to enjoy life! Right now I am trying to think back to a time where I have acted 'pretentious,' and actually can't think of one.. Lol, I have massive issues relating to people. I mean I can do short term friendships and acquaintances, but I obviously suck at long term friendships. 😂
    I am finally being me and again, people don't like it. I can never make anyone happy.
    Don't stress about it..they're just jealous of how smart u r...don't let them get to u..just ignore them...they don't deserve you...
    How long are you gonna be in this school for...I'm guessing a year or r u staying there for sixth form as well..?

💝Life's too short💝

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.