The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by Hambi123
My exam board is OCR - you're really lucky because your exam board isn't as harsh as the OCR exam board. I did AQA last year and I came out with a grade C without even trying my best. This year i'm doing OCR, I'm resitting English language to get a grade A and its so hard. They're really harsh. The controlled assessment is only 40% and the exam is 60%

In English literature I studied An inspector calls and Of mice and men.
In my English language I studied creative writing only
Right now my new exam board OCR I studied of mice and men which counts as an English language and I did creative writing so it was a mixture as it was really confusing because I didn't know if I was doing literature or language

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that sounds so confusing :frown: AQA is alright I guess. I've never studied under OCR so I couldn't help you there sorry :smile:
Also, I'm not doing coursework :s-smilie: so I guess it doesn't really make a difference for me.
The texts I'm studying are Jane Eyre, An Inspector Calls and Macbeth for English Literature :biggrin:
Don't worry about it 😌 my exams are all done. I just need to do my final exam in June and I will get my grade in August. I did Macbeth as well 😌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry about it 😌 my exams are all done. I just need to do my final exam in June and I will get my grade in August. I did Macbeth as well 😌

Posted from TSR Mobile

just wondering, do you do poetry in your english gcse? because im doing of mice and men, jekyll and hyde, and poetry?
Original post by RosaA
Haha, yeah it's weird but it works strangely enough :tongue:
I know, I should be able to manage. It isn't anything too extensive :biggrin:

Your timetable is fab - I love the layout and the colour coding!! Good luck with all the revision :smile:
UPDATE FOR 13/03/16

So I have made draft notes on:

Electrolysis (molten and aqueous - 3 pages)

Measuring development

Global Inequalities

Causes of global inequalities (political, environmental, social and economic page each)

Neat notes on:

Electrical Power

Fertilisers

Fuels for cars

Preparing Fertilisers

And also:

Chemistry Homework

Geography Homework

Biology Homework

Memorised first paragraph of German Writing

Original post by brainzistheword
Hi there,

Thank you and good luck to you too! Great to hear you want to achieve highly.

For English Lit I highlight quotes in the books and annotate them. Then I make a character profile for each character with pages for Key Quotes, Key Themes, Adjectives and such like.

For Language, I would suggest like @Hambi123 says, doing past papers and getting them marked by a teacher. And try making up your own things to write about like letters - and choose a topic, so you get to practice the layout and tone.

In terms of coursework, it depends on the weighting. If like mine, they are worth 25% then it might be the difference of a grade so it really depends on the weighting and the grade tbh.

For revision tips, the methods I use are: make sure you plan out what you want to do before you start each day, use flashcards whenever you have spare minutes, make revision fun - things like mind maps, sketchnoting and diagrams for the wall are usually quite good. Also, using a whiteboard to write out things over and voer can be a bit of variation. Past papers should be done at every opportunity, or even just a few select questions to help you identify weakness. If motivation is an issue, try the Pomodoro Technique and also varying where you study.

If you need anymore info just let me know :smile:

Thank you so much for you tips. Thanks to you, I know know what to do! 😀
Original post by sahra30013
Thank you so much for you tips. Thanks to you, I know know what to do! 😀

No problem - if there is anything else let me know :smile:

Good luck!
UPDATE

Today I want to learn one side of A4 of my German and I also need to do my History homework on the Vietnam War. If I get time, I want to start making a CV and continue making my notes for revision - I also have a Geography or Physics revision session to decide on after school.
My exam board is OCR - you're really lucky because your exam board isn't as harsh as the OCR exam board. I did AQA last year and I came out with a grade C without even trying my best. This year i'm doing OCR, I'm resitting English language to get a grade A and its so hard. They're really harsh. The controlled assessment is only 40% and the exam is 60%

In English literature I studied An inspector calls and Of mice and men.
In my English language I studied creative writing only
Right now my new exam board OCR I studied of mice and men which counts as an English language and I did creative writing so it was a mixture as it was really confusing because I didn't know if I was doing literature or language

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally, somebody else who has taken the GCSE with OCR. How are you finding it?
It's really different and I don't like it because they're harsh 😭 but I'm doing okay in them I guess. How are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
UPDATE FOR 14/03/16

Hey so I've been busy doing other things today but I have managed to:

Learn another paragraph of German

Write up neat notes on Electrolysis

Research Vietnam notes on My Lai

Go through past paper - got 96% (marked by teacher)

UPDATE

I should be able to blast through a few bits of revision today.

I am hoping to learn over 1 side of my German so that I am on track, and also continue writing up my notes. I have only got a few pages of Chemistry left to draft then I have finished the entire course, so I will try and get this done. Also, I'd like to do a past paper of some sort but I'm not sure which subject - I will see how much time I have.
That's a lot of A* grades there! Good luck :crossedf:
I didn't get anywhere as good as that in my GCSEs- 7 A grades and 4 Bs

As a geology student, trust me when I say geology will become your life, providing you have a good teacher. It's just a wonderful subject and it's a shame more schools don't offer at at A level.
Original post by GoldenSilkie15
That's a lot of A* grades there! Good luck :crossedf:
I didn't get anywhere as good as that in my GCSEs- 7 A grades and 4 Bs

As a geology student, trust me when I say geology will become your life, providing you have a good teacher. It's just a wonderful subject and it's a shame more schools don't offer at at A level.

Thank you :smile:

7As and 4Bs is excellent and you do geology? You're one of the few people on here who has said it is worth doing, many people are telling me there is no point studying it so I'm glad you posted - thank you :smile:
UPDATE FOR 15/03/16

Unfortunately I didn't get to do as much as I had planned but I still managed some:

P1 and P2 past paper

Draft notes on CFCs and Ozone

Learnt 1 side of A4 of German

Thank you :smile:

7As and 4Bs is excellent and you do geology? You're one of the few people on here who has said it is worth doing, many people are telling me there is no point studying it so I'm glad you posted - thank you :smile:

No problem :biggrin:
UPDATE

After the disappointment of yesterday, I'd really like to accomplish quite a few things. I want to try and complete my Geography Controlled Assessment after school. I'm also going to do my homework for History on the Tet Offensive and also finish the P3 section of the past paper I did yesterday. I want to finish C6 notes by drafting Fuel Cells (then I have all of them in either neat or draft)
UPDATE FOR 15/03/16

Unfortunately I didn't get to do as much as I had planned but I still managed some:

P1 and P2 past paper

Draft notes on CFCs and Ozone

Learnt 1 side of A4 of German

at least you did something :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
at least you did something :smile:

True :smile:

But still not enough considering how close exams are now :smile:
UPDATE

After the disappointment of yesterday, I'd really like to accomplish quite a few things. I want to try and complete my Geography Controlled Assessment after school. I'm also going to do my homework for History on the Tet Offensive and also finish the P3 section of the past paper I did yesterday. I want to finish C6 notes by drafting Fuel Cells (then I have all of them in either neat or draft)

What are you doing your CA on? I'm only on my evaluation and it's worrying me that I won't be able to finish it in time considering my teacher hasn't arranged ANY after school help sessions so if we get stuck we're screwed :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending