Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Road to A* everywhere Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    Well done. When you guys say unit 1 are you talking about Physics P1 out of 7 or are you guys talking about something else?Is this a different examining board?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The board i do for science is aqa and because i do triple science there is e.g Biology Unit 1,2,3 and Physics 1,2,3 and chemistry 1,2,3
    ☺ Basically 9 exams for science overall yayy -not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    The board i do for science is aqa and because i do triple science there is e.g Biology Unit 1,2,3 and Physics 1,2,3 and chemistry 1,2,3
    ☺ Basically 9 exams for science overall yayy -not
    Oh. We do 9 exams aswell but it's ordered differently. So for instance in physics we would do p123 then p456 and then p7.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE FOR 20/03/16
    Today I have:

Q Cards:
    • 15 Chemistry
    • 15 Vocab (English Language)
    • 30 German Vocab

Diagrams/things for wall:
    • Alkali/bases
    • Interspecific competition
    • Intraspecific competition
    • Logic Gates
    (they just all need laminating)

In terms of notes I have done:
    • Neat ones on Stopping distance (Physics)
    • Typed up Global Inequalities
    • Typed up Measuring Development

Past Paper Completed
    Biology B1-B3 paper
    Score: 63/75
    Weaknesses: Auxin, cloning (Dolly Sheep), Malaria, EAR Protein

Geography restless Earth
    Score: 19/25
    Weaknesses: Ocean trenches, Richter Scale, Earthquakes case studies

Geography Water On Land
    Score: 22/25
    Weaknesses: Flood plains, flooding case studies

All the weaknesses from the past papers are going to be areas I make notes on throughout the week, and then I will do more past papers over the extended weekend to consolidate everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Hi again

I have exams in less than 7 weeks too (my first one is on May 18th). How much revision do you do at the moment and what techniques are you using? Why is it that you feel you are not doing enough?

To stop being nervous, I would suggest walks - they work quite well for me and help break up the revision a bit. I haven't tried meditation or anything like that but it may be worth a look. if you find that being nervous disrupts your revision, make sure you have a notebook handy whilst you revise. And when you get a thought or piece of nervous thought, jot it down and it should help you forget about it until after your session. Afterwards, go back to it and see if there are any common themes for what you are thinking about and then you can see if there are any ways to tackle them. I hope this is helpful

In terms of managiing time - make sure you have a solid plan of everything you want to achieve before each revision session. This way you are totally focused on the revision and don't have to fill in gaps because you are ill-prepared. Make little things you can carry around with you so you can optimise any free minutes you have and also try making the most of other techniques - by this I mean try recording yourself or getting a computer program to change text to speech for you so you could maybe listen to your notes whilst going to school or in bed. make sure you do past papers as often as possible and mark them so you know where your weaknesses are. Then, focus your revision purely on the areas you got wrong so that you don't waste time on the easy stuff you actually already know

Of course there is enough time to catch up, don't panic! (I know, easier said than done - and I am one of the worst for worrying)
    If you need any help please just let me know and I will see what I can do.

P.S. Talking to someone isn't a bad idea either and you can always leave me a post if you want to talk
    Thank you so much again for your tips and advice! As a fellow student, I feel relieved that someone out there understand me!

The revision techniques I am using is different for each subject. For example, science is memorising and writing questions for myself as well as past papers. Maths I watch videos and do more past papers. History, I memorise the whole textbook and learn how to answer the questions. English, I'm still not sure which one works but I'll find out after my mock in literature and language next week. French, memorise again. Actually, for most of my subjects, I just memorise and then manipulate the information. What about you?

The reason is that I am not feeling that I am doing enough is that despite my academic abilities, I tend to become lazy and I start to procrastinate. Also, I have other commitments such as going to clubs that makes me feel that I am not doing enough. I know, I sound pathetic but this is how I really feel. People always tell me not to worry and that I will 'get' the grade but still!

Sure! I'll post when I need to ask and feel free to ask me! Let's stay sting for few more weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey ,

I am doing my gcse's this year too with you and i will tell you that you should revise straight away i mean if you want great grades then go for it .. make sure you make a revision time table and etc.. ( get yourself organised)

Just think of positivity around you and dream of those A* 's

Ofc there is always always time to prepare , remember the easter half term you can do tonnes for that

Just revise your ass off and dont forget to take breaks too and award yourself
    Test yourself when you've revise and etc..

Hope that helped and good luck for you examination ( exams)
    Thank you very much and good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE FOR 20/03/16
    Today I have:

Q Cards:
    • 15 Chemistry
    • 15 Vocab (English Language)
    • 30 German Vocab
    Diagrams/things for wall:
    • Alkali/bases
    • Interspecific competition
    • Intraspecific competition
    • Logic Gates

In terms of notes I have done:
    • Neat ones on Stopping distance (Physics)
    • Typed up Global Inequalities
    • Typed up Measuring Development
    Past Paper Completed
    Biology B1-B3 paper
    Score: 63/75
    Weaknesses: Auxin, cloning (Dolly Sheep), Malaria, EAR Protein

Geography restless Earth
    Score: 19/25
    Weaknesses: Ocean trenches, Richter Scale, Earthquakes case studies

Geography Water On Land
    Score: 22/25
    Weaknesses: Flood plains, flooding case studies

All the weaknesses from the past papers are going to be areas I make notes on throughout the week, and then I will do more past papers over the extended weekend to consolidate everything
    Hi how much time did that all take to do?

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE FOR 20/03/16 I spoke to Zoe about everyone uploading the amount of revision they do per day and she kindly said ‘yes’therefore here it is. I didn’t do a lot today because I was out for a while andspent an hour washing my hair but managed to still do some.

1. did a past paper on English Language and I got an A for 2 hours
    2. Finished statistics coursework conclusion.
    3. Did few notes on Psychology topic C – managed to memorise key terms
    4. Looked at key themes and characters on Of Mice and Men
    5. French Controlled Assessment (Finally finished it)
    6. Notes on Physics Unit 1
    for statistics which hypothesis did you do? Is it edexcel? Books??
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    Hi how much time did that all take to do?
    Hi it took me about 6 hours yesterday I think
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahra30013)
    Thank you so much again for your tips and advice! As a fellow student, I feel relieved that someone out there understand me!

The revision techniques I am using is different for each subject. For example, science is memorising and writing questions for myself as well as past papers. Maths I watch videos and do more past papers. History, I memorise the whole textbook and learn how to answer the questions. English, I'm still not sure which one works but I'll find out after my mock in literature and language next week. French, memorise again. Actually, for most of my subjects, I just memorise and then manipulate the information. What about you?

The reason is that I am not feeling that I am doing enough is that despite my academic abilities, I tend to become lazy and I start to procrastinate. Also, I have other commitments such as going to clubs that makes me feel that I am not doing enough. I know, I sound pathetic but this is how I really feel. People always tell me not to worry and that I will 'get' the grade but still!

Sure! I'll post when I need to ask and feel free to ask me! Let's stay sting for few more weeks!
    No problem. And yes I do very similar things to you for revision by changing it for each subject. I prefer a bit of variety but also want to make sure I get it all in my head before the exam.

You mentioned you do clubs so you feel you don't do enough. I think it is great that you are continuing with extra things because it should help with relaxing and taking time off. It may also mean that the revision you are doing is making you work smarter and not harder. By this, I mean you are aware that you have less time, so you try to get stuff done faster and more efficiently so you could be learning the same amount of material it takes one person to learn in an hour but you could be doing it in 20 minutes - if that makes sense? In terms of procrastinating try the Pomodoro Technique or alter it slightly if you prefer shorter/longer times of study.

Plus, it's not necessarily the hours you put in but how you use the time that you are studying.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE

Today I want to make notes on the topics I struggled on and have put them in my calendar to remind me - hopefully I should get through a good chunk

ReputationRep:
    May you read what I have messaged to you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    update for 20/03/16
    today i have:

q cards:
    • 15 chemistry
    • 15 vocab (english language)
    • 30 german vocab
    diagrams/things for wall:
    • alkali/bases
    • interspecific competition
    • intraspecific competition
    • logic gates

in terms of notes i have done:
    • neat ones on stopping distance (physics)
    • typed up global inequalities
    • typed up measuring development
    past paper completed
    biology b1-b3 paper
    score: 63/75
    weaknesses: auxin, cloning (dolly sheep), malaria, ear protein

geography restless earth
    score: 19/25
    weaknesses: ocean trenches, richter scale, earthquakes case studies

geography water on land
    score: 22/25
    weaknesses: Flood plains, flooding case studies

all the weaknesses from the past papers are going to be areas i make notes on throughout the week, and then i will do more past papers over the extended weekend to consolidate everything
    omg you've done a lot welll done
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    for statistics which hypothesis did you do? Is it edexcel? Books??
    Hey,
    Yes it is edexcel and it's about football teams i mean i don't have a clue about football but i am managing it
    Are you doing it too?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Some people talk about the pomodoro technique and i still don't understand it
    Could someone kindly explain it to me
    Is it when you revise for 20 mins then take a break then do another 20 mins ??

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I got an A star for my speaking which means my coursework totals up to an A star.

However, I wanted to ask something on behalf of my friend. She got a low C for both of the speaking and got a very high A for one of the writing and an A star for the other writing. What would this total up to for her? She does Ocr French. Thanks. She's really stressed out because she wants to get an A at least. The teacher has told her that she can redo one of her speaking.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'll be posting my 2 week ball buster on here.

ReputationRep:
    My friend usually gets an A or A star in the listening and reading exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Lol. My Mother was telling me about this. She said that after 20 minutes the brain starts to lose interest and doesn't keep the info. She told me to use this technique because I revise like I party. Once I start, I don't stop. So far this 20 minute technique works. However, I wouldn't recommend it for every subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I got an A star for my speaking which means my coursework totals up to an A star.

However, I wanted to ask something on behalf of my friend. She got a low C for both of the speaking and got a very high A for one of the writing and an A star for the other writing. What would this total up to for her? She does Ocr French. Thanks. She's really stressed out because she wants to get an A at least. The teacher has told her that she can redo one of her speaking.
    She's going to redo one of her speaking and she's hoping to at least get an A. Thanks for the info. Our teacher isn't in this week so she can't really ask her. Thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Lol. My Mother was telling me about this. She said that after 20 minutes the brain starts to lose interest and doesn't keep the info. She told me to use this technique because I revise like I party. Once I start, I don't stop. So far this 20 minute technique works. However, I wouldn't recommend it for every subject.
    Oh wow great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.