Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Road to A* everywhere Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    I do French but really struggle with the listening exams! I know you do German but listening methods are similar for the two. Please can you give me tips for the listening as I can get A*'s for the reading but struggle with listening which makes the difference in my case from an A to an A*. Thank you!
    What board do you do ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    UPDATE FOR 01/04/16
    Been at a show most of the evening but I have managed to:
    • Do source based questions for History - Vietnam
    • Look at the layout of Paper 1 - History
    • Maths calculator past paper
    • Physics 6 markers on Communication, Moon formation and stopping distances
    • German Higher listening paper and marked - 34/40 (A*)
    Really not as much as I'd have hoped but the weather looks bleak for tomorrow so hopefully I should get lots done then
    Well done Even when your out and about , you still manage to get a lot done.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I do French but really struggle with the listening exams! I know you do German but listening methods are similar for the two. Please can you give me tips for the listening as I can get A*'s for the reading but struggle with listening which makes the difference in my case from an A to an A*. Thank you!
    Well here are probably 3 bits of advice I can give you:

1) I don't know if you have already been told to do this but before the testt starts write down any French words you need to listen out for
    2) Listen to as much of the Language as possible so you get used to having to pick out little words/phrases
    3) Try other exam boards papers because it is all French at the end of the day - or if you don't want to actually answer the questions just listen to the recordings and see what you can pick up

I hope these help and if I thinkn of any more I'll let you know

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    Well done Even when your out and about , you still manage to get a lot done.
    Haha thank you - I find it better when I have something out and about to do because I still get all more revision done but more efficienly because I have the pressure to get it done in a smaller amount of time
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace143)
    Hi, I notice you said you didn't realise it was unusual to drop so few marks - I don't want to be presumptuous but do you go to a private school/grammar school? Just curious- feel free to ignore
    Ps I've loved reading through your posts and picking up a few tips! I too am aiming for all A*s but finding the revision hard to keep up with sometimes!
    Hi, no I only go to a state school (and tbh it isn't a good one at that), it was just when I had college interviews the woman went 'you're the second person I've seen with all these A*s out of everyone I've interviewed this year' and I was completely shocked! I'm glad you like reading this blog, if you ever want any more specific tips or anything just let me know

ReputationRep:
    Hi, no I only go to a state school (and tbh it isn't a good one at that), it was just when I had college interviews the woman went 'you're the second person I've seen with all these A*s out of everyone I've interviewed this year' and I was completely shocked! I'm glad you like reading this blog, if you ever want any more specific tips or anything just let me know
    Thanks for the response! I better get out of bed now and start the day's revision..
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace143)
    Thanks for the response! I better get out of bed now and start the day's revision..
    No problem - I hope your revision goes well today

ReputationRep:
    Thank you - It was fantastic and it was a school production of Bugsy Malone, my friends had bought me tickets to it for my bday

How has your day been?
    yesterday wasn't very productive tbh. however I plan for today to be a lot more productive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I know you didn't ask me but I always get between 35 and 39 in my listening exams so I thought I'd help you.

You get 5 minutes reading time before the test actually begins. Use this time to write down any key words or phrases that each of the possible answers could use, so you know what to listen out for. Also, don't put an answer down as soon as you hear them say that word or phrase, listen out for the rest of the passage as there could have been a negative you missed out, or some kind of clause showing that that's not the answer - they do this deliberately to trick people so try not to fall for it! In the listening exam you are not expected to understand every single word, and it's perfectly ok if you don't. All you need to do is work out the general gist of what they're trying to say and you can work it out from there - I do this all the time. For the questions where you have to write a short answer rather than write a letter in a box, make sure you include precise information, they're incredibly picky with giving marks in these questions - you need to say exactly what they say in enough detail (this will be hard if you don't quite understand what they've said to begin with though). And finally, the only way I'd really think you can revise for a listening test is learning vocab and how they sound so that you can understand more. Also, a few past papers can't hurt, to test your understanding.

Hope I helped you!
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    yesterday wasn't very productive tbh. however I plan for today to be a lot more productive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope you get loads done

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to start revising for a long period of time please help me with tips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Thank you what do you mean joke around with you , I told you that you can check on the exam board What revision have you done?
    well I did mind maps with colours on the aqa science chemistry I hope its ok though I like using mindmaps do u?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayu123)
    well I did mind maps with colours on the aqa science chemistry I hope its ok though I like using mindmaps do u?
    I find mind maps really messy and if there is a lot of colours i can't read anything so i tend to use small amounts of colours but as long as it helps you then great😊

ReputationRep:
    Well here are probably 3 bits of advice I can give you:

1) I don't know if you have already been told to do this but before the testt starts write down any French words you need to listen out for
    2) Listen to as much of the Language as possible so you get used to having to pick out little words/phrases
    3) Try other exam boards papers because it is all French at the end of the day - or if you don't want to actually answer the questions just listen to the recordings and see what you can pick up

I hope these help and if I thinkn of any more I'll let you know

Haha thank you - I find it better when I have something out and about to do because I still get all more revision done but more efficienly because I have the pressure to get it done in a smaller amount of time
    Thank you for the tips, they were very useful! I'll try them out more in exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    What board do you do ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AQA
    (Sorry if I don't merge quotes, I'm on mobile right now and joining quotes like messes it up!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Hi there, I know you didn't ask me but I always get between 35 and 39 in my listening exams so I thought I'd help you.

You get 5 minutes reading time before the test actually begins. Use this time to write down any key words or phrases that each of the possible answers could use, so you know what to listen out for. Also, don't put an answer down as soon as you hear them say that word or phrase, listen out for the rest of the passage as there could have been a negative you missed out, or some kind of clause showing that that's not the answer - they do this deliberately to trick people so try not to fall for it! In the listening exam you are not expected to understand every single word, and it's perfectly ok if you don't. All you need to do is work out the general gist of what they're trying to say and you can work it out from there - I do this all the time. For the questions where you have to write a short answer rather than write a letter in a box, make sure you include precise information, they're incredibly picky with giving marks in these questions - you need to say exactly what they say in enough detail (this will be hard if you don't quite understand what they've said to begin with though). And finally, the only way I'd really think you can revise for a listening test is learning vocab and how they sound so that you can understand more. Also, a few past papers can't hurt, to test your understanding.

Hope I helped you!
    Thank you Niamh! These tips were in fact very helpful! I've done a lot of vocab work so it's just working on the technique in exams like you've stated! I do lots of past papers but maybe I need to listen properly to pick up the words and even see how words are pronounced!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Niamh! These tips were in fact very helpful! I've done a lot of vocab work so it's just working on the technique in exams like you've stated! I do lots of past papers but maybe I need to listen properly to pick up the words and even see how words are pronounced!
    Ah you're welcome - I'm sure you'll smash it

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I saw you were doing AQA geography, how do you revise for the case studies?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayu123)
    I don't know how to start revising for a long period of time please help me with tips
    Sometimes revising for long times is not advisable, but if you are doing past papers it is best to mimic the exam conditions. Get someone to hold you accountable for you studying and make it as enjoyable as possible, like rewards and having snacks whilst you work. Music might help but it's different in each case

Thank you for the tips, they were very useful! I'll try them out more in exams!
    No problem - listening are my weakness to, so I will be working on these when I break up for Easter

(Original post by ChinchillaMad)
    Hey, I saw you were doing AQA geography, how do you revise for the case studies?
    There are just soo many!!

I make sure I have a complete list/table of the causes, effects and responses or such like and then make flashcards for the details like 'how many homes were destroyed in ... flood?' and then I can constantly test myself. Which case studies are you doing because I have some online flashcards with some of the case studies I am doing, so if we do the same you are more than welcome to use them

(on pages 19/20 of this blog there are some revision tips for Geography I think )

ReputationRep:
    when do you break up for Easter Zoe? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    when do you break up for Easter Zoe? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Next Friday (the 8th) x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.