Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Training Contract Interview suit Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hoping for some advice on how screwed I am.

I have a training contract Interview today.

I had a nice Charcoal suit on, which my daughter promptly vomited on!

Had to switch to a 3 piece burgundy suit. I know they say to wear Navy or Charcoal for legal interviews.

Any ideas how screwed I am for this interview?

Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

Well it wll make you stand out. Think I would have just go another suit- shop- take it back if I had to. never done it, but thats an emergency.

Must be a lot of vomit.

Does it look smart and professional? If you do proceed with the burgundy suit then i might mention it at interview and explain why, just so they know you understand why they want your dress sense to be conservative. Another alternative is just phoning ahead (they might be absolutely fine with it) and laugh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldielexx)
    Hoping for some advice on how screwed I am.

I have a training contract Interview today.

I had a nice Charcoal suit on, which my daughter promptly vomited on!

Had to switch to a 3 piece burgundy suit. I know they say to wear Navy or Charcoal for legal interviews.

Any ideas how screwed I am for this interview?

Thanks.
    You won't be screwed... maybe make light of the fact there was an accident when you were getting ready, so you had to bring out your burgundy suit instead.
    • Very Important Poster

Sorry I didnt make it clear I think its a minor thing, but I would mention it at the beginning as an icebreaker to prevent it distracting you.

ReputationRep:
    Use the story to break the ice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Well it wll make you stand out. Think I would have just go another suit- shop- take it back if I had to. never done it, but thats an emergency.

Must be a lot of vomit.

Does it look smart and professional? If you do proceed with the burgundy suit then i might mention it at interview and explain why, just so they know you understand why they want your dress sense to be conservative. Another alternative is just phoning ahead (they might be absolutely fine with it) and laugh.
    A good idea but I didn't have enough time to get another suit (trying them on, etc..) And you were right, they were absolutely fine with it

P.s. A little vomit goes a long way to staining a suit... plus the smell!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the good advice.

I did end up using the incident as an ice breaker and they were fine with it, had a little chuckle.
    • Very Important Poster

Glad it worked out for you . Hope i didnt spoke you by forgetting in my first post to say it wasnt a big thing, I just focus on solving and dealing with things. Normally interviewers get quite bored so a bit of light relief is good to put both of you at ease. Maybe put your suit somewhere unvomitable for the next time.

ReputationRep:
    Please let us all know how you get on.

Then everyone should go to their law firm iv in burgundy #1979rocks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Glad it worked out for you . Hope i didnt spoke you by forgetting in my first post to say it wasnt a big thing, I just focus on solving and dealing with things. Normally interviewers get quite bored so a bit of light relief is good to put both of you at ease. Maybe put your suit somewhere unvomitable for the next time.
    Not at all. Everyone was very helpful. It did end up being a pretty decent ice breaker and they said they're not into all that traditional grey and navy anyhow (although senior associate was in a lovely traditional navy suit!)

I was holding said daughter when she vomited... I won't be making that mistake again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyinthehaze)
    Please let us all know how you get on.

Then everyone should go to their law firm iv in burgundy #1979rocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will.

Fingers crossed (legs and toes, too!)

ReputationRep:
    what stupid things are these? since when do they judge you from what you wear? that's ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    what stupid things are these? since when do they judge you from what you wear? that's ridiculous
    What did you expect? It's a training contract to become a lawyer. Dress code is very important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.