Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protostar's journey to amazing grades! (GCSE) Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    2/04/2016 - Morning update

Sorry I've not updated this since Thursday

So, I thought that I'd completely bombed that maths exam I had on Thursday and I was stressing like mad, but we managed to persuade our teacher to mark 3 papers before the end of the day so we didn't have to wait 2 weeks to get them back. And it turns out I didn't do badly at all - I got 93%! Huge huge shock as it was horrific, one of the hardest papers I've sat tbh, so now I'm very confident about my real exam (not that I wasn't already )

Yesterday was quite an emotional day, as it was my chemistry teachers last day
    My friend made her a really cute cake which we gave her, and we also gave her the secret we'd been hiding for about a year and a half - a sheet containing weird things she's said (she's absolutely bonkers so there were a lot!). It will be sad to see her go

Tonight I'm off to yet another birthday party, literally everyone I know is born in spring! So I probably won't get much done tomorrow as I'll be recovering

As for my revision this week I'm very disappointed in myself because I only managed to be productive on Monday - when we weren't at school. However, we've now broken up for the holidays which means I can focus again for 2 weeks - I'm so grateful that the holidays are here!

On Thursday the head of English decided to give a 25 minute speech about how 'this is not a holiday' and how we should be revising for '6-8 hours a day', along with some very unhelpful revision tips. I don't think it's fair when they tell you stuff like that - at the end of the day it IS a holiday, we do need time off - we're not machines! I'm sure she irritates 95% of people at my school

Anyway, i suppose it's time to get up - I've been lying in bed for about an hour. Oops. I'm not sure how much I'll get done today but hopefully it'll be something. Last little thing from me:

Good luck Dr M - we will miss you!
    Hey, Hope you enjoy your revision Lol and the birthday party . Also, well done on the maths paper Please feel free to have a look on my thread as well
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3934631
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Hey, Hope you enjoy your revision Lol and the birthday party . Also, well done on the maths paper Please feel free to have a look on my thread as well
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3934631
    Thank you, and I'll check it out
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    3/04/2016 - Evening update

Today's been a long day, I'm so tired!

I did the first bit of 'proper' revision I've done all week today though, although it wasn't a lot.

Today I managed to do:
    -German listening (June 2012) - 38/40, grade A*
    -Futther Maths paper 1 (June 2014) - 68/70, grade A^

That's it though, but I'm determined to do loads over this holiday now it's finally here.

Tomorrow my family are off to Hull for the day but I didn't really want to go so I'm staying at home by myself so I really want to crack on. I'm so so annoyed that I didn't get my B2 or P2 notes barely started never mind finished, so I might make an effort to do them both tomorrow. This coming week I also need to start the unit 3s as well - I'm really trying to cram it all in so I can start on past papers next week.

I'm also getting ill though unfortunately, although I'm not sure whether it's hayfever or something else, but I'm dosing up on cold and flu tablets to try and stop it before it makes me lose focus and have to stop.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    4/04/2016 - Evening update

Been so unproductive today it's sickening

I had perfect opportunity to get so much done and I was motivated and everything, knew exactly what I had to do, but I just could not focus on anything. I'd take a break for 5 minutes but it would just turn into half an hour, then I took 30 mins off for lunch and that somehow became 2 hours!!

Despite this, I managed:
    -German reading (June 2012) - 42/45, grade A* (this was such a hard one, I had to look some stuff up because I was completely lost in one passage. I much prefer listenings to these)
    -Religious Studies Unit 1 - 2 and a half pages of notes, all key words learnt, how a religious upbringing can lead to belief in God all learnt, how religious experiences can lead to belief in God learnt

Tomorrow I'm definitely getting my head down and cracking on with serious revision, it's getting to the point where I'm so behind I may as well be in Year 10. :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Tomorrow I'm definitely getting my head down and cracking on with serious revision
    Oopsie daisy...

6/04/2016 - Middle-of-the-night update

I should NOT be awake right now.

Today I did try to get stuff done, but it just didn't happen. I think this little illness I've got going on is killing my focus, as well as my nose and chest

Today I managed to:
    -Reread and make notes on chapter 1 of Animal Farm, but it's so short this literally took 20 minutes
    -Made 2 more Physics P1 index cards before I got distracted - I still have 8 left to do
    -Further Maths Paper 1 (June 2015) - unable to mark as it was 2015, although it went pretty well until the last 3 questions (HOW THE HELL DO YOU FACTORISE SOMETHING WITH AN X^4 IN IT?? *cough* sorry about that...
    -Further Maths Paper 2 (June 2014) - couldn't be bothered marking (didn't do it in exam conditions anyway) but will mark it tomorrow, definitely above 95 I think

But yeah, it doesn't seem like that much and it felt like even less to me. Although the maths papers alone took up 3 and a half hours so I guess it's not all bad.

Today I actually took some of my own advice (there's a first) and have made a schedule for tomorrow's revision rather than just leaving it down to impulse (as it never works since my impulse is always 'have a rest!')

I desperately need to to go sleep but I have a feeling I won't be able to - funfunfun

Praying I'll get some proper work done tomorrow.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    6/04/2016 - Night update

I'm so so happy with my efforts today - I'm managing to turn things around at long last and actually get somewhere

Today I managed to:
    -Reread Section 1 of Of Mice and Men and made notes on the main characters, events and themes that were present in that section
    -Re-organise my revision folder as its been quite a while since I last did that
    -Made notes on the Boscastle and Bangladesh floods, as well as how the features of a rivers course changes as it goes down from upper to lower for geography
    -Carried on with my unit 1.1 notes for RS - made notes on the design and causation arguments and how they can lead to belief in God, and also got onto scientific explanations for the creation of the world
    -Revised the factor theorem (for factorising cubics), ratio problems and circle theorems for further maths
    -Learnt pages 18 and 19 of my German vocab booklet
    -Finally finished writing up my physics P1 index cards (I meant to finish them 2 weeks ago)
    -Carried on typing up my notes for B2 for biology - not many more left to do now

I'm definitely going to try and keep this work rate up for the rest of the holidays - my new planning technique really worked so I'm going to keep using it. I'm in such a good mood today because of this, it's so overdue
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    6/04/2016 - Night update

I'm so so happy with my efforts today - I'm managing to turn things around at long last and actually get somewhere

Today I managed to:
    -Reread Section 1 of Of Mice and Men and made notes on the main characters, events and themes that were present in that section
    -Re-organise my revision folder as its been quite a while since I last did that
    -Made notes on the Boscastle and Bangladesh floods, as well as how the features of a rivers course changes as it goes down from upper to lower for geography
    -Carried on with my unit 1.1 notes for RS - made notes on the design and causation arguments and how they can lead to belief in God, and also got onto scientific explanations for the creation of the world
    -Revised the factor theorem (for factorising cubics), ratio problems and circle theorems for further maths
    -Learnt pages 18 and 19 of my German vocab booklet
    -Finally finished writing up my physics P1 index cards (I meant to finish them 2 weeks ago)
    -Carried on typing up my notes for B2 for biology - not many more left to do now

I'm definitely going to try and keep this work rate up for the rest of the holidays - my new planning technique really worked so I'm going to keep using it. I'm in such a good mood today because of this, it's so overdue
    WOW well done on this Keep it up

ReputationRep:
    that x^4 thing...was it an equation with x^4 and x^2 in it? or were you factorising as in with the factor theorem?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amygracebroad)
    that x^4 thing...was it an equation with x^4 and x^2 in it? or were you factorising as in with the factor theorem?
    It was in a past paper I did the other day - I'll find it in a bit
    But it was something like x^4-x^3-2x^2 (probably not but it was something along those lines

I sat staring at it for 5 minutes like what the hell??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    WOW well done on this Keep it up
    Thank you and I am watch out for tonight's update
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and I am watch out for tonight's update
    Welcome Haha i will be tuned and mine
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    7/04/2016 - Evening update

Yay for productivity!

Today I managed to get everything that I wanted to get done, and more
    Today I have:
    -Reread chapter 2 of Animal Farm and made notes on characters, events and themes
    -Finished typing up my B2 notes for Biology and wrote I think 3 of the cards up
    -Made notes on managing river flooding, hard vs soft engineering strategies and managing the UK's water supply for geography
    -Begun and actually finished typing up C3 notes for chemistry all in one hour! I am storming through chemistry!
    -RE unit 1.1 - scientific explanations for the world, Christian responses to this, the issue of unanswered prayers, Christian responses to this
    -Started (and very nearly finished - only got one more to make) typing my notes for P2 for physics
    -Was going to start revising PE, but because there is just so much content and I haven't got enough time, I decided to do a little past paper to see where my weaknesses are instead and work from there
    -Did some work on quadratic inequalities for further maths

And as if that wasn't enough, I thought I'd throw in a couple of past papers too :p:
    -PE Unit 3 (June 2012) - 61/80, Grade A (2 marks off an A*) I HATE the grade boundaries for this exam - 60 for an A, 63 for an A*?? Why AQA why? But not bad for no revision (despite COMPLETELY misinterpreting the last 8 mark question and consequently getting 0 marks, but that's a problem for another day)
    -Chemistry C1 C2 C3 (Jan 2012) - 42/60, Grade A* (7 marks in) I thought I'd do a past paper for this seeing as I've revised all of the content for it - wasn't massively happy with my mark but I can work on it! Also it probably doesn't help that I haven't looked at my notes since I made them (oops) there'll definitely be another one of these in the not-too-distant future - I want at least 50 in C123!!

So yeah I'd say I've been quite productive today
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    9/04/2016 - Middle-of-the-night update

Today I got next to no work done as my mum decided to take me and my sister to town shopping - I'm quite happy about it though because it got me a nice little break from studying as well as some nice new stuff

Since I got back though I managed:
    -RS stuff (focused on only this today) - finished all notes on Believing in God and started ones on Matters of Life and Death (Christian, Muslim and non-religious attitudes to life after death, why some people don't believe in life after death)

Tomorrow I'm definitely going to restart what I was doing before - today was just a little bit of a break and a day off I've yet to plan what I'm going to do though - I'll do it just before I go to sleep

Next week I've got to go into school on 2 days Monday to (finally) finish
    off my geography controlled assessment and Wednesday to do trampolining (why) and finish my PE controlled assessment. Really annoying as I'd rather not have to be in school for 10am during the holidays!!!

Anyway, since it's gone 1am it's probably time to start planning out tomorrow's revision and get off to sleep - I'm tired after wandering around town all day and my ankle is KILLING me (haven't had any problems with it for months but today it's pretty bad )
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    9/04/2016 - Evening update

Haven't done as much as I'd hoped today - wasn't very motivated as it was SO sunny and I just wanted to be outside

However I ploughed through, and managed to:
    -Reread section 2 of of mice and men and made notes on main characters and events (didn't quite get on to themes - it's quite a long section)
    -Finished notes on managing the UK's water supply and got halfway through the reservoir case study on Rutland water (I'm so close to being done with water on the land omg)
    -Started writing up my c3 index cards, only got I think 4 or 5 done (they take quite a while to make and I'm a slow writer anyway)
    -Carried on with my matters of life and death notes for RS (the uk laws on abortion, Christian and Muslim attitudes to abortion)
    -Wrote out about 4 more biology b2 index cards but then gave up

I stopped because I've written so much in the past few days that my wrist is actually swollen - it's painful to write now
    So for the rest of today if I feel like it I'll start typing more notes for science to get them out of the way - doing b3 right now (hate this unit so much) and should get them finished tonight
    I'm at my grandmas and all I could be bothered bringing with me was my biology revision guide so they're all the notes I can make right now haha
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    11/04/2016 - Evening update

Have barely done anything today

I was at school from 10am until 2:45pm doing geography coursework but I still didn't even get it done and I've got to go back again tomorrow - so annoying as I hadn't intended to have to do that!!! So that means I'm in school every day until Wednesday this week so I'll barely have time to do anything I hate my school

So today I just did some past papers instead of revision, as time is really running out and I'm nowhere near finished learning content.

-Chemistry C123 (June 2013) - 46/60, grade A*. Bit more pleased with this one as its getting closer to 50 but still not quite where I'd like it tbh. Weaknesses: C2 mainly (unsurprising though as we haven't actually been taught it, know next to nothing on polymers and such)
    -Further Maths Paper 2 (June 2015) - can't mark as it was 2015 but I felt it went very well until the last question (nowhere near as difficult as paper 1 ), high 90s I hope

That's all I've done all day though - I've also got a terrible headache which is really messing with my concentration so that's quite annoying.

Also, today when I had NO choice but to come into school, what do my family decide to go and do? Have a nice little day out in York - without me!! I mean they brought me back some chocolate but it doesn't make it ok - I'll just seeth here in silence :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    12/04/2016 - Middle-of-the-night update

Updates at this time are becoming more frequent and that worries me

Today I had to go back into school to finish off my geography CA. We were told yesterday to not bother coming in until 11 as the system was being updated and it wouldn't be back on until then. Well the update took longer than expected and nobody could access any files until 12:15!! That's not even the worst bit - because there were so many of us there it literally took an hour until my teacher managed to help me, and we all had to be gone by 3pm. Luckily though I managed to get the last section done in about half an hour so the only thing I've got left to do is my front cover which is a 2 minute job I can do after school on Monday

I didn't get home until 4:45 though because i was waiting for my friend to finish (we were eventually allowed to stay until 3:30) and the traffic was quite bad. So I didn't have much time to do much today.

Today all I did was 2 past papers:
    -Physics P123 (June 2013) 47/60, grade A* (pretty happy with this, although my performance on the 6 mark questions was pretty bad) Weaknesses: seafloor spreading, methods to find distances to stars, correlation vs cause, analogue and digital signals, travelling radiation, transfer of light energy
    -Biology B123 (Jan 2013) 47/60, grade A* (same mark as physics haha . Quite happy with this as my performance towards the end of the paper was shockingly bad - luckily I did extremely well at the start to make up for it, and my 6 markers were good (6,6,4)) Weaknesses: regulating water content, adaptations, food webs, closed loop systems, importance of rapid reproduction (microorganisms), processes involved in creation of new species, living and non-living indicators, evaluation of data (climate change)

Tomorrow I'm in school yet again, to do trampolining and PE coursework, oh the joys. We were only given 2 hours of class time to do the coursework - another half an hour and I'll be done so it's really annoying having to go all the way to school just to do it and I hate trampolining too.

Anyway it's pretty late so I should probably go to sleep...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    13/04/2016 - Evening update

So today I had to go into school again, which messed me up in terms of revision - surprise surprise but it wasn't actually that bad - and I was only in from 10am to 1:30pm which is better than yesterday.

So far today I've done absolutely nothing. I intend to do something though, and I'll get into it in a bit, whatever it may be.

Tomorrow I'm definitely going to get back on track as I've done nothing but past papers this week and it's getting so close to exams now eek!

Today I managed to finish my PE coursework 🎉🎉🎉 so that's 99% of all my coursework done in total (only got my geography front cover to do on Monday)

We also got told when moderation day for PE is...Thursday 28th April - 2 weeks tomorrow! :eek3::eek4:
    I'm really worried about it as I'm nowhere near as fit as I wanted to be, so I'll have to be really pushing myself in the gym these next 2 weeks!!! Although luckily they're only watching circuit training and football so I only have to do well in one thing (my teacher put me down as 7/10s all round though for some reason, I'm so so lucky I'm only being observed for fitness as my trampolining grade would probably turn out as a 4/10 instead :laugh:) looks like the A grade I dream of is still in reach, although circuit training kills me on a normal day, never mind when I've got to perform well, consistently round all stations for 2 whole circuits! Oh well we'll have to see how it goes...

ReputationRep:
    :nyan:
    Your productivity is insane! How did you manage to get so many past papers done?
    :fleurdelis: Yay for your coursework being done! I hope you get the marks you want!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    :nyan:
    Your productivity is insane! How did you manage to get so many past papers done?
    :fleurdelis: Yay for your coursework being done! I hope you get the marks you want!
    Oh wow, thank you!
    And tbh I didn't think I'd done that many past papers (I've still got loads to do as well), but looking back I guess I have done quite a few! I tend to just do them when I think I've learnt all the content for them, in order to see where my weaknesses are so I can recap them.
    Thank you so much, I really hope I do get the grades!
    (Loving the emoticons by the way )
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    14/04/2016 - Evening update

Thankfully, because I didn't have to go into school for the first time this week, I managed to get some proper work done

I decided to focus purely on science today, as I was waaay behind the point I wanted to be at with my notes, but I managed to do loads!

Today I have:
    -Finished full notes on B3 for biology
    -Finished full notes on C4 for chemistry
    -Finished full notes on P4, P5 and P6 for physics
    -Started notes on B4 and B5 for biology, and C5 for chemistry

Although the list is quite short today - it's been a hell of a lot of work! I'm exhausted to be quite honest and it's only 8pm! :laugh:

Tomorrow I'm hoping to focus on geography, RS and English - completely different from today! So we'll have to see how that turns out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.