Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm tired of being broken. Most of my life has been miserable; religious, restrictive and abusive family, bullying at school, sexual abuse. No matter what I do to try to improve my life (distancing from religion and some family members, starting my masters degree, doing what I want), any happiness I get out of it only lasts a short while, then I'm back to feeling sad and empty. Guys always end up hurting me, though this may partially be because of all my insecurities. I often sometimes like no one has ever loved me and that no one ever will. I have tried to love and take care of myself but something always happens which knocks me down again.

Are some people just destined to always be unhappy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm tired of being broken. Most of my life has been miserable; religious, restrictive and abusive family, bullying at school, sexual abuse. No matter what I do to try to improve my life (distancing from religion and some family members, starting my masters degree, doing what I want), any happiness I get out of it only lasts a short while, then I'm back to feeling sad and empty. Guys always end up hurting me, though this may partially be because of all my insecurities. I often sometimes like no one has ever loved me and that no one ever will. I have tried to love and take care of myself but something always happens which knocks me down again.

Are some people just destined to always be unhappy?
    (DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional)

In my opinion everyone can lead a happy life, if they know what to let go of. Completely.

You should think about what you are hanging on to (or go back to, think about) that makes you sad and feel hopeless. Once you've identified the culprits, you should find someone to talk to them about, like a counsellor or a trusted friend. Or, if you like, sort through them yourself and imagine scenarios where certain aspects of your current life have been completely eliminated and imagine how you'd feel about that, how things might be better. If you are able to come to a conclusion, try to actually follow through with your decision actively.

One way or another you'll be fine. You just have to have the courage and believe that happiness is always attainable, just that it comes in different forms and that it may not always be what you had expected it to be. Just don't give up.

Thank you

I have distanced myself from so many people and things that cause me pain but it doesn't seem to end...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjones96)
    (DISCLAIMER: I am not a professional)

In my opinion everyone can lead a happy life, if they know what to let go of. Completely.

You should think about what you are hanging on to (or go back to, think about) that makes you sad and feel hopeless. Once you've identified the culprits, you should find someone to talk to them about, like a counsellor or a trusted friend. Or, if you like, sort through them yourself and imagine scenarios where certain aspects of your current life have been completely eliminated and imagine how you'd feel about that, how things might be better. If you are able to come to a conclusion, try to actually follow through with your decision actively.

One way or another you'll be fine. You just have to have the courage and believe that happiness is always attainable, just that it comes in different forms and that it may not always be what you had expected it to be. Just don't give up.
    That's actually really good advice, I have depression and you're right, I think a lot of it is holding onto things, genuinely thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you have had such a hard start in life.

Ultimately we are all alone and can't rely on anyone else to make us happy.

I think we have to accept that happiness can be a rare thing. Feeling content is still something to be grateful for.

You may need help to resolve these issues in your past. Perhaps have counselling to help you move on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...d-glasses.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you

I have distanced myself from so many people and things that cause me pain but it doesn't seem to end...
    You know, sometimes what is needed is even more than distance. As hard as it may be, when people and things are causing you so much pain a clean break is at times necessary to truly heal and regain your energy. After that you can always try to approach what bothered you before, in your own time and if you feel it is right.

I have to agree with what stefano865 said, in the end we are all alone and unfortunately cannot rely on someone or something defining happiness for us. Stay strong. You'll get there

(Original post by Blondie987)
    That's actually really good advice, I have depression and you're right, I think a lot of it is holding onto things, genuinely thank you!
    No problem I like being of some help, even if what I say essentially won't change much or even anything. That, alas, is up to the person. Nonetheless, a little push in what may be the right direction is what I hope to achieve.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.