Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got unconditional offers from two programmers: film studies & criminology and criminal psychology. I need to decide between these two but can´t make up my mind. Working in the film industry is life long dream of mine but I´m also worried that I will be unemployed after uni because it´s difficult to find jobs in that field. I´m also interested in criminology and that might be more secure option? Even tho I don´t want to be a police officer...

Any advice? Is film studies worth it? What opportunities I´d have after uni? What about criminology?

p.s I´m not native english speaker so sorry if I made any mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elinasar)
    I got unconditional offers from two programmers: film studies & criminology and criminal psychology. I need to decide between these two but can´t make up my mind. Working in the film industry is life long dream of mine but I´m also worried that I will be unemployed after uni because it´s difficult to find jobs in that field. I´m also interested in criminology and that might be more secure option? Even tho I don´t want to be a police officer...

Any advice? Is film studies worth it? What opportunities I´d have after uni? What about criminology?

p.s I´m not native english speaker so sorry if I made any mistakes
    Are you sure that the Film Studies degree would prepare you for the film industry? In the UK, that type of degree is generally more about the analysis and criticism of films, in the same way that you would study literature. Degrees aimed at getting you started in the industry are usually much more focussed on individual skills such as production, scriptwriting, digital effects etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Are you sure that the Film Studies degree would prepare you for the film industry? In the UK, that type of degree is generally more about the analysis and criticism of films, in the same way that you would study literature. Degrees aimed at getting you started in the industry are usually much more focussed on individual skills such as production, scriptwriting, digital effects etc.
    What I understood from the programme discription the programme includes both practical and theoretical learning. On the university website it says:
    "This programme combines the cultivation of a historical and theoretical understanding of the moving image with the hands-on study of film making, including screenwriting, shooting, editing and sound design."

I know that work experience is much more appreciated in this field but maybe film school would be a good start? Just need to get some sort of job as soon as possible...
    I don´t know what I´m going to do tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.