The Student Room Group

My Oxford graduate boyfriend can't get a job

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThomasPassion
sociopaths from HR

Is right.

Filter Question: do you have any qualms about thinking of humans as a resource?
Original post by cambio wechsel
Is right.

Filter Question: do you have any qualms about thinking of humans as a resource?

Or even worse: 'capital'

Posted from TSR Mobile
he needs to be more Taggart than Morse
waitrose will take him, nice oxford degree and well mannered chap that he (presumably) is. plus you get an extra bonus just for working for waitrose which is often around the 15% mark and that is conservative, usually it is higher. i got 1500 quid more than my friend who worked for sainsburys despite only working 10 hours per week for 6 months at that time just by virtue of working at the partnership. you also get paid more per hour. good solid job with realistic promotion prospects and lots of overtime. they have started night shifts now also.
Original post by whydoidothis?
He did an English degree.

What do you expect?

Oh no here comes the stem elitists
Original post by hootdoot04
Oh no here comes the stem elitists

Here comes the person who bumps old threads!
Original post by gtty123
Here comes the person who bumps old threads!

It’s an online forum so :auto:
It’s an online forum so :auto:

Makes it perfectly normal to do, right? And your comment will definitely be replied to 4 years later, right?
Original post by gtty123
Makes it perfectly normal to do, right? And your comment will definitely be replied to 4 years later, right?

Alright just wanted to comment so sorry if its annoyed you
Alright just wanted to comment so sorry if its annoyed you

It’s against the rules so don’t think you’re getting away with it. Just stick to newer threads
Original post by emily-brown
My boyfriend graduated in August 2015 from the University of Oxford with a Upper Second-Class degree in English Literature and Language. He's been trying to find work for almost a year now in Glasgow (my city) but he lives 400 miles away, so he can't get part time work as his city is on his CV.

He's never had any previous work experience apart from a paper round. He's been making a little bit of money by working on a site where he get's paid £5 for writing articles for people but it's not enough to live by. He's tried applying for volunteering work but has even been turned down from that.

We were thinking about him coming to Glasgow to do a Masters but he just saw it as another year of expenses and didn't want to.

I'm wondering if anybody has any advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation and can help in anyway? Thank you.

Edit: I know the reason for him unable to find work is because of his lack of experience, I'm only looking for a little bit of advice on what to do and how to deal with this situation, not on what the problem is!

I would recommend he looks into teaching or completing a Masters/ PHD and becoming a university lecturer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending