Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intolerant student left turns on well known conservative-imperialist Peter Tatchell. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ampaigner.html
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Free speech and enlightenment values are under attack in our universities. In the worthy name of defending the weak and marginalised, many student activists are now adopting the unworthy tactic of seeking to close down open debate. They want to censor people they disagree with. I am their latest victim."

"The race to be more Left-wing and politically correct than anyone else is resulting in an intimidating, excluding atmosphere on campuses. Universal human rights and enlightenment values – including John Stuart Mill’s On Liberty – are often shamefully rubbished as the ideas of Western imperialist white privilege.I am all in favour of protesting against real racists and transphobes. But the most effective way to do this is to expose and counter their bigoted ideas, not censor and ban them. I’ve often debated religious fundamentalists and homophobes. They’ve lost the argument; leaving them weakened and discredited."
    :facepalm:

As far as I can work out he has not even said anything transphobic or racist etc. He has just been defending the idea that freedom of speech being about defending people's rights to say and put forward arguments that you may vehemently oppose. It would appear this makes him a racist and homophobe according to these NUS types.

ReputationRep:
    From what I made out in the guardian it wasn't the NUS but one of the other guests and he is still attending the debate.

These tumblr 'left wingers' are essentially the rubbish of society that capitalism produces on its drive for individualism and self obsession- where one has to come up with more outrageous views to get attention. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm often dismayed that there are so many individuals of the left who wish to shut down free speech. If you have to silence those with contrary opinions, then it shows that you have no foundations for your beliefs and clearly can't defend your own beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    I'm often dismayed that there are so many individuals of the left who wish to shut down free speech. If you have to silence those with contrary opinions, then it shows that you have no foundations for your beliefs and clearly can't defend your own beliefs.
    Shutting down free speech applies to both the right and the left. Given quite a few on the right want to ban Islamic speakers...
    Not saying there's anything wrong with limiting free speech but it happens by people all across the political spectrum rather than being confined to the right or the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ampaigner.html
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Free speech and enlightenment values are under attack in our universities. In the worthy name of defending the weak and marginalised, many student activists are now adopting the unworthy tactic of seeking to close down open debate. They want to censor people they disagree with. I am their latest victim."

"The race to be more Left-wing and politically correct than anyone else is resulting in an intimidating, excluding atmosphere on campuses. Universal human rights and enlightenment values – including John Stuart Mill’s On Liberty – are often shamefully rubbished as the ideas of Western imperialist white privilege.I am all in favour of protesting against real racists and transphobes. But the most effective way to do this is to expose and counter their bigoted ideas, not censor and ban them. I’ve often debated religious fundamentalists and homophobes. They’ve lost the argument; leaving them weakened and discredited."
    :facepalm:

As far as I can work out he has not even said anything transphobic or racist etc. He has just been defending the idea that freedom of speech being about defending people's rights to say and put forward arguments that you may vehemently oppose. It would appear this makes him a racist and homophobe according to these NUS types.
    You read the Torygraph? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Shutting down free speech applies to both the right and the left. Given quite a few on the right want to ban Islamic speakers...
    Not saying there's anything wrong with limiting free speech but it happens by people all across the political spectrum rather than being confined to the right or the left.
    Rarely see those on the right turn on their own like this, though. It's really an extreme when Peter Tatchell of all people is no-platformed by the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You read the Torygraph? :teehee:
    I read a piece written by respected leftie Peter Tatchell. Frenchie.

Here is a good piece written by conservative ex Telegraph runner Peter Obourne.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkin...from-telegraph

(Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Rarely see those on the right turn on their own like this, though. It's really an extreme when Peter Tatchell of all people is no-platformed by the left.
    Being a hive mind is not something to be proud of. Although I don't think right wingers never "turn" on each other. The left by it's nature is normally more sectarian though.

ReputationRep:
    Being a hive mind is not something to be proud of. Although I don't think right wingers never "turn" on each other. The left by it's nature is normally more sectarian though.
    But this is really like a monarchist turning on another monarchist for having curtsy that is too shallow...

In other words, Tatchell is the original social justice warrior (before the term was polluted). He has fought for so many things student leftists take for granted, such as gay rights. It's ridiculous and insulting that he has been turned on by his political descendants like this.

ReputationRep:
    Uchh.
    I wish people would stop saying 'the left' like they are one body of unanimous opinion. 'The left' incorporates pretty much everyone from Tony Blair to all out communists.

But if we want to take a look at certain members in sections of the right, take a look at how anti-zionist or anti semitic speakers are often protested against and have their free speech shut down.
    Or how about the fact the government just yesterday said councils aren't allowed to boycott Israel, shutting down free speech?
    Not saying that's wrong, but limiting free speech happens all across the political spectrum so to try and make out like it is a problem specific and exclusive to the left when it happens across the political spectrum at all stages.

ReputationRep:
    Rarely see those on the right turn on their own like this, though.
    American right wing politicians do this all the time. In these Republican campaigns recently there's been a couple of quite nasty moments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    American right wing politicians do this all the time. In these Republican campaigns recently there's been a couple of quite nasty moments.
    Do they deny them freedom of speech though?

ReputationRep:
    But this is really like a monarchist turning on another monarchist for having curtsy that is too shallow...

In other words, Tatchell is the original social justice warrior (before the term was polluted). He has fought for so many things student leftists take for granted, such as gay rights. It's ridiculous and insulting that he has been turned on by his political descendants like this.
    'the left' is not a hive mind and your monarchist analogy is terrible. It's like saying there is minimal difference on the free speech issue between the left wing Chomsky and a left wing soviet stasi bureaucrat.

“Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” ~ Chomsky

Compare that with the ruthless controlling of thought to ensure people think and act the correct way so the proletarian dictatorship can force humanity towards international communism inflicted by the Leninist-Marxist bureaucracy.

Actually in this country the left wing green party takes freedom of speech to the extreme to the point they advocate letting Islamic terrorists groups exist and express speech providing they do not do anything illegal. The Green party thusly gets a lot of fire from almost everyone who drops the libertarian notion of freedom of speech when it comes to this, especially right wing people.

Or when David Cameron, a so called moderate says this...http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...id--e1q_01xlZZ

If a labour leader had said that the Daily Mail brigade would be all over it like flies on a ****. But because it is targeted at Muslims it's fine. More authoritarianism the better. But when left wingers come for suspected racists, homophobes and sexists they become champions of freedom of expression. With freedom of speech you are either for or against. There is no middle ground and you have to be consistent. That applies to the left and the right.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not in the same sense but smear campaigns against each other isn't far off in my book

Edit: to clarify what I mean, I consider some of Ted Cruz's antics for example as not a million miles off McCarthyism. Isn't that right Lady Communist Stock

ReputationRep:
    'the left' is not a hive mind and your monarchist analogy is terrible. It's like saying there is minimal difference on the free speech issue between the left wing Chomsky and a left wing soviet stasi bureaucrat.

“Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” ~ Chomsky

Compare that with the ruthless controlling of thought to ensure people think and act the correct way so the proletarian dictatorship can force humanity towards international communism inflicted by the Leninist-Marxist bureaucracy.
    So you've never referred to 'the right' as if it is a hive mind? Ever?

Who else are Tatchell's political descendants if not the people who are denying him a platform? Leftist student activists tend to be the ones who, nowadays, campaign for gay rights, etc.

Actually in this country the left wing green party takes freedom of speech to the extreme to the point they advocate letting Islamic terrorists groups exist and express speech providing they do not do anything illegal. The Green party thusly gets a lot of fire from almost everyone who drops the libertarian notion of freedom of speech when it comes to this, especially right wing people.
    I find it hard to believe that the Greens would allow racist/Islamophobic remarks unchecked in the name of libertarianism.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.