Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would happen if an unstoppable force were to meet an immovable object? watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    If we assume both of these can exist (and also can exist simultaneously), then what would happen if these items met?

And going back to the original assumption, if it were possible for either to exist, could they exist in the same universe, or would this instead be a paradox?

ReputationRep:
    the unstoppable object would go upwards or backwards?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing would happen. They would negate one another. It would be like -1 +1 = 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Nothing would happen. They would negate one another. It would be like -1 +1 = 0
    Not really. I imagine it gets all weird since we are essentially dealing with infinities.

ReputationRep:
    Level 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    And going back to the original assumption, if it were possible for either to exist, could they exist in the same universe, or would this instead be a paradox?
    The closest we ever got to this was about one trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the big bang when matter and anti-matter battled it out. Thankfully for us matter won the argument (narrowly) and the universe and everything in it was the result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Not really. I imagine it gets all weird since we are essentially dealing with infinities.
    You might be right; don't mind admitting that I'm no physicist. Grade C at GCSE doesn't cut the mustard!

ReputationRep:
    There is no solution, for neither can exist, therefore neither will come into contact with the other.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infraspecies)
    There is no solution, for neither can exist, therefore neither will come into contact with the other.
    This is philosophical question, not a scientific one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    This is philosophical question, not a scientific one.
    It's an absurdity in both senses. In one case a physical impossibility, in the other a self-refuting proposition.

ReputationRep:
    To summarise the minutephysics video above:

~ they are both the same thing: infinitely massive, unaccelerateable objects.
    ~ they cannot exist, for an infinitely massive object would result in an infinitely large black hole (oops).
    ~ since, by definition, they cannot affect each others' velocities, if they could exist, they'd just pass right through each other.

ReputationRep:
    They have to pass through one another. It's the only option.

If the unstoppable force were to push the immovable object, then that defeats the definition of the immovable object in the first place.

If the unstoppable force were to stop or rebound off the immovable object, then we're either stopping the force or changing it which also defeats the definition of an unstoppable force the first place (I've heard this dilemma before and it's come to my understanding that 'unstoppable' refers to 'unchangeable velocity' rather than 'velocity cannot be zero i.e. stopped')

So the unstoppable force would simply pass through the immovable object. The force keeps moving and the immovable object is not moved in any way.

If such structures existed in the same universe, I feel like they would be the same thing (I'm no physicist)

ReputationRep:
    IT will be a paradox.
    If an unstoppable force were to move in space then we must assume it shall be without any force of hindrance and thus shall continue to move perpetually in accordance with Newton's first law.
    If an immovable object were to remain so, it must have no force applied on it and thus remain immovable to observe Newton's first law.
    So if the force stops because of the Object it will violate the laws of physics and logic and similarly if the Object moves it will violate the same laws.
    Both infinities here are one and the same(see- George Gamow's-One Two Tree Infinity) so they should cancel each other but an immovable object under newton's first law is stationary i.e exerting no force and if an infinitely large force tries to induce motion it should be observing newton's third law but that would not happen as explained.

Thus it will be a paradox.-Q.E.D

ReputationRep:
    they just pass through each other...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)

Remember watching this video back in early 2014. Never thought I'd see it again. :eek:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This is how Chuck Norris was born.

yeah I know this isn't 2007

ReputationRep:

my head hurts

ReputationRep:
    Unstoppable force would move through the immovable object and create an agent of chaos with green hair and freaky make up.

Good video but I thought that the outcome was already pretty obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Remember watching this video back in early 2014. Never thought I'd see it again. :eek:
    MinutePhysics is awesome
    (Original post by corbynite87)
    my head hurts
    I guess but he does a pretty good job of simplifying it!

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Unstoppable force would move through the immovable object and create an agent of chaos with green hair and freaky make up.

Good video but I thought that the outcome was already pretty obvious.
    Not to everyone :dontknow:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.