Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Philosophy&ethics at a level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Currently in year 11, but I'm taking re as one of my a levels.

Do you enjoy it? Is it a big leap from gcse? How difficult is it honestly?

Someone told me that they exam is 3 hours long, is that true?

Thank you for any replies X

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing A2 Philosophy and Ethics. I do really like it, it is an interesting subject and very mind opening. It's also really different from GCSE. You go a lot more in-depth about almost everything you've already learnt, but also the content is a lot more complicated and requires a higher level of understanding than you would have needed previously. It is also more about creating a debate when you write your essays, and putting your point of view and opinion across, as well as developing an academic style of writing. I think, with any subject you're going to get a big jump from GCSE to AS (I had similar jumps for all of my subjects, as I do Philosophy and Ethics, History and English Literature, and I did Psychology at AS but hadn't done GCSE). I think in terms of difficulty, for me it is about the same level of History, with English Literature being easier and then Psychology also being easier. It depends entirely on the person though, as everybody is good at different things. No A-Level is easy though, and there is always a jump from GCSE. The exams are quite long, I think last year the two I had added up to 3 hours, and my two this year add up to three hours again. Don't make that a factor in your decision though, as it does fly by in the exam and you don't really find yourself sitting there waiting for it to finish, as there is so much to write about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hol17)
    Currently in year 11, but I'm taking re as one of my a levels.

Do you enjoy it? Is it a big leap from gcse? How difficult is it honestly?

Someone told me that they exam is 3 hours long, is that true?

Thank you for any replies X
    I am currently doing A2 and have completed all of the Philosophy unit and most of the Ethics unit. The word 'leap' isn't even fair when speaking about A-Level RS, it is the complete opposite of GCSE. It is hard, which is why it is well-respected. It is one of the most abstract A-Level courses you can take and is very academic.

It depends on your board. Sometimes, in the past, exam boards have placed the two units back-to-back, making it 3 hours long. An exam in itself, however, is only 1 hour 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    I'm currently doing A2 Philosophy and Ethics. I do really like it, it is an interesting subject and very mind opening. It's also really different from GCSE. You go a lot more in-depth about almost everything you've already learnt, but also the content is a lot more complicated and requires a higher level of understanding than you would have needed previously. It is also more about creating a debate when you write your essays, and putting your point of view and opinion across, as well as developing an academic style of writing. I think, with any subject you're going to get a big jump from GCSE to AS (I had similar jumps for all of my subjects, as I do Philosophy and Ethics, History and English Literature, and I did Psychology at AS but hadn't done GCSE). I think in terms of difficulty, for me it is about the same level of History, with English Literature being easier and then Psychology also being easier. It depends entirely on the person though, as everybody is good at different things. No A-Level is easy though, and there is always a jump from GCSE. The exams are quite long, I think last year the two I had added up to 3 hours, and my two this year add up to three hours again. Don't make that a factor in your decision though, as it does fly by in the exam and you don't really find yourself sitting there waiting for it to finish, as there is so much to write about!
    Thanks so much for your reply!! Yeah you're right about the exam, when you're doing it, it probably doesn't feel like 3 hours!

It does sound interesting though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    I am currently doing A2 and have completed all of the Philosophy unit and most of the Ethics unit. The word 'leap' isn't even fair when speaking about A-Level RS, it is the complete opposite of GCSE. It is hard, which is why it is well-respected. It is one of the most abstract A-Level courses you can take and is very academic.

It depends on your board. Sometimes, in the past, exam boards have placed the two units back-to-back, making it 3 hours long. An exam in itself, however, is only 1 hour 30 minutes.
    An hour and a half is fine so hopefully! Yeah It's well respected for a reason I suppose, I don't mind if it's hard as long as it's not mind numbingly boring!!

Thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hol17)
    An hour and a half is fine so hopefully! Yeah It's well respected for a reason I suppose, I don't mind if it's hard as long as it's not mind numbingly boring!!

Thanks for your reply!
    That's okay

Yeah... whether or not it is boring depends largely on you and what you do and don't like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.