Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Paris attacks were successful, and it's our fault Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not in the sense that they killed people, but as a propaganda victory for 'ISIS', it couldn't have worked better.

Since the attacks in November, we've had very severe Islamophobia and hatred towards immigrants in the EU, we've had people becoming increasingly skeptical of Islam. We've had governments, like our own, formally discussing what to do about them in the House of Commons, we've had politicians like Donald Trump threatening to ban all Muslims from the US.

This is exactly what ISIS wants. They want the fear of Islamic State and Islam in general to diffuse across the West and for every single person in the UK and USA or France and Europe to know about the Islamic State.

ISIS is not a particularly dangerous terrorist group, the only new thing they possess is the ability to manipulate and radicalise foreign nationals into carrying out attacks in their name, but compared to al-Shabab, Al-Qaeda, Boko-Haram, they are not that much worse in terms of the atrocities they commit.

However the media has exaggerated their capability and now every single westerner knows about them, and a ridiculous number fears them. This plays exactly into their game, they want everyone to be afraid of them, whereas in reality no one we know, and no one who we know knows will ever be affected by this terrorist group.

In my opinion, the media needs to be more responsible. I think it should be against the law to write articles with false claims about terrorist groups in situations where it leads to scaremongering. Because they are essentially indirectly supporting the terrorist group. That's why it's 'our' fault.

ReputationRep:
    Do you support ISIS?

Given you believe they are not a particularly dangerous terrorist group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Do you support ISIS?

they aren't, Boko-Haram and Al-Shabab do far worse things every month in their respective countries.

Al-Qaeda's worst attack killed more than 8x the death toll of ISIL's two deadliest attacks on Westerners.

They are a significant threat to Syria and Iraq, but those countries alone. It is shameful to see the House of Commons glorifying this terrorist group by dedicating some 10 hours to decide whether or not to bomb them, when in fact Assad is the real enemy. Don't get me wrong, ISIS should be eradicated, but if they should then our attitudes towards other groups are flawed, given that ISIS is no more capable.

and no, I don't support those animals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Underwood)
    they aren't, Boko-Haram and Al-Shabab do far worse things every month in their respective countries.

Al-Qaeda's worst attack killed more than 8x the death toll of ISIL's two deadliest attacks on Westerners.

They are a significant threat to Syria and Iraq, but those countries alone.
    You didn't answer the question

ReputationRep:
    You didn't answer the question
    I don't support them

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    SOCTIS are a very dangerous group of murderers. they have slaughtered thousands of Christians and others including Yazidis in the Near East. they should be crushed like demons.

ReputationRep:
    I don't support them
    Then why are most of your posts trying to downplay their impact?

Are you Syrian?

ReputationRep:
    Do you support ISIS?

Why do you have a flag associated with ISIS as a profile picture? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire_and_ice)
    Why do you have a flag associated with ISIS as a profile picture? :confused:
    I don't. (pm me if you need me to explain it to you don't derail this thread)

ReputationRep:
    I know this may shock you, but some of IS's victims aren't actually Westerners. Or do you not care about them?

ReputationRep:

Are you Syrian?
    Because I followed the ISIS stories since they emerged as a revolutionary force re-taking Syria from Assad, and I followed the stories of a decent-looking revolutionary army downgrade into the worlds most feared terrorist group.

And it is disgusting to see the press exaggerating the threat, giving rise to extremist politics like those going on in the republican party in the US.

But let me be clear. There is a very prominent threat to the people in Syria, but the threat to Britain is minimal.

ReputationRep:
    Because I followed the ISIS stories since they emerged as a revolutionary force re-taking Syria from Assad, and I followed the stories of a decent-looking revolutionary army downgrade into the worlds most feared terrorist group.
    So until they were called a terrorist group you did believe them to be a revolutionary force...

And you didn't answer the question

ReputationRep:
    So until they were called a terrorist group you did believe them to be a revolutionary force...

And you didn't answer the question
    No, and so what?

ReputationRep:

Are you Syrian?
    Why you talking in a irresponsible and offensive way? Don't judge people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spot on. The actions of ISIS are inhumane and should not be underestimated, but the scaremongering and propaganda which followed the attacks has lead to their capabilities being over exaggerated. Many people (in the Western countries) now fear ISIS more than they should. If a similar attack was carried out by anyone else who had not been deemed a terrorist by the media (ironically) then there would be much less attention drawn to it. Anyone can walk into a shopping mall/town centre with a bomb strapped to their chest, you don't have to be part of a terrorist group to do so.

ReputationRep:
    The Islamic State, for the large part are contained. The Kurds to the North, Shia militias in Iraq, Jordanians and Saudis to the South, and rebels and Assad to the West. They are essentially encircled, and if there was effective will by the concerned powers, they could be destroyed. However that said their radicalisation of Western youth and ability to get operatives into Europe does pose a threat to us. However slim the threat posed, it still exists. And if our security agencies, law enforcement and military does not recognise and react to that threat they wouldn't be fit for purpose.

Yes, the media blow it out of proportion, but when you have a group that actively want to bring about the Islamic Apocalypse, decapitates 'spies', throws homosexuals off of buildings and constantly threatens the west and promises to take Rome, you can hardly blame them for writing so much about.

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere did you describe how it's "our" fault?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renewhj)
    Why you talking in a irresponsible and offensive way? Don't judge people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you find people asking questions 'offensive' If so a news forum may not be the place for you

And I'll judge all I like given the user seems desperate to downplay the impact ISIS are having

ReputationRep:
    No, and so what?
    You said you did in an earlier post you actually called them '
    a revolutionary force'

It's important to help me understand where you are coming from

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.