Turn on thread page Beta

Nucleophilic substitution watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We recently did a nucleophilic substitution reaction in class with a lot of haloalkanes.

One of the questions was;
    What can you say about the structure of the compounds containing bromine? why?

I don't know if it's me being stupid but i don't understand this question or how to answer it ://

ReputationRep:
    I may be wrong - but I would probably say something along the lines of this:

Compounds containing Bromine (a halogen) tend to have a polar bond between the Bromine and the Carbon it is attached to. This is because Bromine has a higher electronegativity than Carbon so it attracts a higher electron density towards it, gaining a delta (slightly) negative charge whilst the Carbon has a delta (slightly) positive charge. This makes the bromoalkanes reactive simply due to the polar bromine-carbon bond.

I don't know if that answered your question. Hopefully it helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandasandpens)
    We recently did a nucleophilic substitution reaction in class with a lot of haloalkanes.

One of the questions was;
    What can you say about the structure of the compounds containing bromine? why?

I don't know if it's me being stupid but i don't understand this question or how to answer it ://
    They are now halide compounds

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2016

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.