Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuck on choosing A Levels Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've been trying to decide on my A Levels for months but I keep doubting my decisions. I need to pick 4 and I know that I definitely want to do Religious Studies (and perhaps Psychology), but other than that I have no idea.
    I want to study Law, Politics or Religion/Theology at uni (maybe even Social Psychology or something), and I'm predicted all A's at GCSE.

My choices are between English Literature, History, Maths, Government and Politics and Psychology for my last three options. What should I pick? I know that all A Levels are hard but I want to aim for As and Bs and I'm worried that I will find Lit. and History too difficult (I'm not confident in them). However I find that if I took Politics and Psychology, they might be more limiting when I apply to uni (I would probably be more suited to the exam style though).

I enjoy all of these subjects and would like to do them, so whatever I pick it will be something I enjoy and would help me in the future, so what do you think/what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajaxxay)
    Hey, I've been trying to decide on my A Levels for months but I keep doubting my decisions. I need to pick 4 and I know that I definitely want to do Religious Studies (and perhaps Psychology), but other than that I have no idea.
    I want to study Law, Politics or Religion/Theology at uni (maybe even Social Psychology or something), and I'm predicted all A's at GCSE.

My choices are between English Literature, History, Maths, Government and Politics and Psychology for my last three options. What should I pick? I know that all A Levels are hard but I want to aim for As and Bs and I'm worried that I will find Lit. and History too difficult (I'm not confident in them). However I find that if I took Politics and Psychology, they might be more limiting when I apply to uni (I would probably be more suited to the exam style though).

I enjoy all of these subjects and would like to do them, so whatever I pick it will be something I enjoy and would help me in the future, so what do you think/what would you do?
    Taking History would be useful. Other than that you can take Maths and Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I think given the courses you want to study, Politics and Psychology would be good options. Might be a bit limiting if you change your mind and decide to do something completely unrelated though but so long as you can link the skills you've learnt in that course to whatever you want to study, I'm sure it'll be fine.
    I think History might compliment your university hopes well but if you're not too keen, Maths is always a useful one to have, and impressive if you say "I've got an A in A Level Maths". Well I would be impressed at least :P Your other three subjects are quite essay based (I think?) so Maths could be just easier in terms of essay writing?
    Not an expert in any of these subjects but I hope this helped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HazMusicPanda)
    I think given the courses you want to study, Politics and Psychology would be good options. Might be a bit limiting if you change your mind and decide to do something completely unrelated though but so long as you can link the skills you've learnt in that course to whatever you want to study, I'm sure it'll be fine.
    I think History might compliment your university hopes well but if you're not too keen, Maths is always a useful one to have, and impressive if you say "I've got an A in A Level Maths". Well I would be impressed at least :P Your other three subjects are quite essay based (I think?) so Maths could be just easier in terms of essay writing?
    Not an expert in any of these subjects but I hope this helped?
    I think you're right. I'm looking at what I can do with certain A Levels and it looks like English Literature might not be that useful, whereas History seems to be: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under.../which-course/

Do you think I should think less about taking Literature and more about History and Politics?
    I might consider Maths more, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Economics would be a good subject here, in my opinion it's an intresting but respected subject. English would suffice for Law, I guess. A couple of strong subjects and you should be fine. Essay based subjects would probably help your cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varun127)
    Economics would be a good subject here, in my opinion it's an intresting but respected subject. English would suffice for Law, I guess. A couple of strong subjects and you should be fine. Essay based subjects would probably help your cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, but I'm not as interested in Economics as I am with Literature or Politics.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming I took History, Psychology and Religious Studies, what should my last be (out of Maths, Literature and Politics)? I'm the least interested in Maths and very much interested in Politics, but I feel like Literature might be better because it's facilitating.I also can take an AS level over the two years that I'm in Sixth Form (so I could do Maths maybe, or to take my rejected subject). I have no idea

ReputationRep:
    I say R.S, History, English Lit and Maths.

ReputationRep:

Do something you love and you wont regret it

ReputationRep:
    Definitely don't think psychology is the easy way out because I can assure you it is not! I'm in year 13 so the new course you guys have is different to the one I'm doing, and much harder! It's so rewarding though, such an interesting topic to study, goes really well with RS and English literature as well! My advice is to pick something you know you'll enjoy, and take advice from sixth formers and teachers

ReputationRep:
    I think you're right. I'm looking at what I can do with certain A Levels and it looks like English Literature might not be that useful, whereas History seems to be: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under.../which-course/

Do you think I should think less about taking Literature and more about History and Politics?
    I might consider Maths more, thank you!
    Well Lit is like Maths I guess. It is useful to have but I have a feeling History and Politics would help you more on the uni courses you're interested in. But if you prefer English, then go for it. I would just recommend to look into universities and courses you're considering and look to see what subjects they're asking for there. Which? University is pretty good for that. It tells you what subjects people studied who were on that course :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HazMusicPanda)
    Well Lit is like Maths I guess. It is useful to have but I have a feeling History and Politics would help you more on the uni courses you're interested in. But if you prefer English, then go for it. I would just recommend to look into universities and courses you're considering and look to see what subjects they're asking for there. Which? University is pretty good for that. It tells you what subjects people studied who were on that course :P
    This is all true but none of the courses specify any preferred A Levels, so I'm thinking Lit. would help keep the options open, seeing as I don't need either Politics or Lit. to get onto any of the courses?
    I could take Lit. as a full A Level and do Politics AS.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I'd say look at the syllabus for each one. I did English Lit and ended up doing WW1 stuff, and wish I had either chosen a different option, or s different A level altogether. I think looking carefully at the topics you could actually be studying helps make your mind up.

Secondly, I did Lit, G&P, Econ and History, and I did end up wishing I'd chosen maths instead of Lit because it would have broken up the essays, and I like it anyway.

Finally, I don't know why you think Politics is easier or less respected by unis (or whatever you said!). It's a good course, and the exams are all based on couple of smaller questions and then essays. I've never had any uni worry about me having chosen it, and actually some (like LSE) have Law as a non preferred subject.

Also, don't worry about what's hard - you'll be fine with hard work, and you'll only work hard if it's interesting. So if you like history, pick it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    Firstly I'd say look at the syllabus for each one. I did English Lit and ended up doing WW1 stuff, and wish I had either chosen a different option, or s different A level altogether. I think looking carefully at the topics you could actually be studying helps make your mind up.

Secondly, I did Lit, G&P, Econ and History, and I did end up wishing I'd chosen maths instead of Lit because it would have broken up the essays, and I like it anyway.

Finally, I don't know why you think Politics is easier or less respected by unis (or whatever you said!). It's a good course, and the exams are all based on couple of smaller questions and then essays. I've never had any uni worry about me having chosen it, and actually some (like LSE) have Law as a non preferred subject.

Also, don't worry about what's hard - you'll be fine with hard work, and you'll only work hard if it's interesting. So if you like history, pick it!
    Ahh thank you! I'll look more at the Lit. topics before I make my decision (also I don't think that Politics is easy or less respected, I just think it would probably look better if I took two facilitating subjects).
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.