Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if someone could help me figure out what I need in my final year to get a first overall...

I achieved 61% in my second year and my final year is weighed at:
    2nd year - 30%
    3rd year - 70%

I've been getting firsts so far, 70% and 72% so wondered if it was possible to finish with a first overall, from 61% in second year..
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SJWOOLFORD)
    Wondering if someone could help me figure out what I need in my final year to get a first overall...

I achieved 61% in my second year and my final year is weighed at:
    2nd year - 30%
    3rd year - 70%

I've been getting firsts so far, 70% and 72% so wondered if it was possible to finish with a first overall, from 61% in second year..
    You need 0.3 * 61 + (overall third year result) * 0.7 > 70 so you need around 73% overall in your third year for a first overall. You haven't given enough information to calculate how you're doing so far in your third year but you should be able to work it out similar to how I've worked out how your overall score is for both years.

And just aim to do the best you can and giving it your all. Knowing what you need can help but.. just do the best you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    You need 0.3 * 61 + (overall third year result) * 0.7 > 70 so you need around 73% overall in your third year for a first overall. You haven't given enough information to calculate how you're doing so far in your third year but you should be able to work it out similar to how I've worked out how your overall score is for both years.

And just aim to do the best you can and giving it your all. Knowing what you need can help but.. just do the best you can.
    Thanks!
    I've literally only had two marks back so far which were 72% and 70% so I'm just gunna keep working hard and see what I end up with!

Thanks for the maths, I was unsure on how to do it but this made it clear.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SJWOOLFORD)
    Thanks!
    I've literally only had two marks back so far which were 72% and 70% so I'm just gunna keep working hard and see what I end up with!

Thanks for the maths, I was unsure on how to do it but this made it clear.

No worries good luck with your degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.