Xero1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Has anyone got a good essay on attitudes to wealth in both Volpone and The Wife of Bath. I need to write an essay supporting the statement 'the love of money is the root of all evil'.
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you have to do the Wife of Bath, it seems that the Parson's Tale would be a better bet than The WoB from the CT since it is the parson who says "Radix malorum est cupiditas" i.e. money/greed is the root of all evil.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pseudonymegg)
Do you have to do the Wife of Bath, it seems that the Parson's Tale would be a better bet than The WoB from the CT since it is the parson who says "Radix malorum est cupiditas" i.e. money/greed is the root of all evil.
I was just about to say that too! And there is a lot more in the Pardoner's Tale, that **** is long.
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the WoB's Prologue, talk about how she is constantly in search of husbands, she says she's been married 5 times and uses them for their wealth (except the last one). Essentially she turns herself into a prostitute to get money off her husbands. She is scorned by the public and Chaucer ridicules her through her erroneous and ironic narrative which shows what she is doing is wrong.
You could also comment on the last husband who does the same to her, she is used for her money by a young man when she is old which is ironic and proves that what she has been doing is wrong since she is ultimately punished.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads