The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Kings atmosphere?

What is the atmosphere/vibe at kings? Because it's quite a well-known uni I'm a bit concerned that it will be non-stop academics and will feel like a machine which churns out graduates (as oxford has been described to me)
Hey!

I am a King's student, in the International Relations BA, so I thought I could reply to your question. King's is a university that attracts a lot of studious people, but I have never felt like King's "churns out" the students... Instead, I feel that King's encourages students to do loads of other things beyond studying, like being part of sports team, attending all kinds of different events, and joining fun societies (there are soooo many societies, like a Harry Potter one, a baking one, etc.) There is honestly always something going on, sometimes events related to the studies, but also many other things like the ones I mentioned. I feel like King's definitely want me to do well academically, but also wants me to enjoy my time at university and in London - in a city like London it's hard to only think about the studies!

So, my personal experience is that the atmosphere at King's is about much more than just studying and graduating. If you have the possibility, see if you can attend any of the Open houses that King's have - that might give you an insight to what life at King's is really like.

Hope this helps!
Emelie
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by Riverstar
What is the atmosphere/vibe at kings? Because it's quite a well-known uni I'm a bit concerned that it will be non-stop academics and will feel like a machine which churns out graduates (as oxford has been described to me)

The general consensus is that in terms of 'academic competitiveness', places like Oxbridge, UCL, LSE and Imperial are the most serious places. I have never heard anyone at King's complain that it was 'too serious' in academic terms in the sense of there being constant pressure to study 24/7 at the expense of your social life. There are people like that at King's but they are the minority. Most people tend to achieve a good balance between studying and enjoying their time at university.

Quick Reply

Latest