Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.
    Long story short I am in my last semester of my 3rd year on a degree course and am being advised to take an intermission due to health problems and do the semester next year.

I did a foundation course to get me onto the 3 year degree and got funding for all years, If i do take an intermission would i be able to get finance to do the semester next year or will i have to fund it myself?
    The foundation course was for a joint honours degree but i moved on to a single honours course..
    any advice would be appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leonsonix)
    Hi all.
    Long story short I am in my last semester of my 3rd year on a degree course and am being advised to take an intermission due to health problems and do the semester next year.

I did a foundation course to get me onto the 3 year degree and got funding for all years, If i do take an intermission would i be able to get finance to do the semester next year or will i have to fund it myself?
    The foundation course was for a joint honours degree but i moved on to a single honours course..
    any advice would be appreciated.
    Student funding comes with funding for your course length plus a gift year/false start. In theory you could repeat the entire final year with no problems. If you have to repeat more than a year then often SFE will fund additional years if it is for health reasons so don't worry about funding for when you're well enough to return.

Speak to your student support team about what happens to your funding if you withdraw partway through the year - you might have to repay some maintenance loan if the SLC have paid you for this term but you don't finish the term. Likewise if you're committed to accommodation payments for the entire year or term then you may have some short term financial problems. Your unviersity student support team should be able to help you navigate them (and might be able to find you a university issued loan or grant to help you manage the time without funding).
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi leonsonix

If you are suspended on the course and have no years of funding left, you can appeal through compelling personal reasons.
    When you apply to go back you can send us a cover letter explaining your circumstances and evidence of your health problems and you will be able to get the full funding to complete your final year again.

If the university let us know the suspension if for health reasons we can extend the funding for 60 days after you last attended, meaning if there is any over-payment, it won't be as high.

Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: February 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.