Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Written Exercises Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've got a written exercise test next week which is 30 mins long. I've not done one before. I've looked online and found some info but was wondering if anyone had any particular hints and tips?

Thanks for your help!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueDuck)
    Hey!

I've got a written exercise test next week which is 30 mins long. I've not done one before. I've looked online and found some info but was wondering if anyone had any particular hints and tips?

Thanks for your help!
    Depends on the firm - written exercises can vary quite a lot.

Typically they are designed to assess the following skills:

- analytical skills
    - ability to draft (structure/conciseness/persuasiveness/tone/evidence)
    - Strong writing ability (correct grammar/spelling/punctuation)
    - Attention to detail (ability to spot errors or inconsistencies, and ability to pick up the relevant detail)

Its about using your time effectively. These exercises are designed to be tight on time and therefore ensuring you have covered everything that is expected of you is important.

Sometime you have to read a lot of information - ensure you read through everything - sometime the information on the last page could be far more important than the information on the first.

Try to pick out relevant detail quickly. If you do have to analyse anything then you need to try and find evidence within the materials to back up what you are saying.

They rarely need legal knowledge as they are often designed for law and non-law students. But they can often also test your analytical skills and "commercial awareness" at the same time, so keep in mind you might be asked to make commercial considerations of the information you are presented with.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    x
    Thank you, that's really useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Depends on the firm - written exercises can vary quite a lot.

Typically they are designed to assess the following skills:

- analytical skills
    - ability to draft (structure/conciseness/persuasiveness/tone/evidence)
    - Strong writing ability (correct grammar/spelling/punctuation)
    - Attention to detail (ability to spot errors or inconsistencies, and ability to pick up the relevant detail)

Its about using your time effectively. These exercises are designed to be tight on time and therefore ensuring you have covered everything that is expected of you is important.

Sometime you have to read a lot of information - ensure you read through everything - sometime the information on the last page could be far more important than the information on the first.

Try to pick out relevant detail quickly. If you do have to analyse anything then you need to try and find evidence within the materials to back up what you are saying.

They rarely need legal knowledge as they are often designed for law and non-law students. But they can often also test your analytical skills and "commercial awareness" at the same time, so keep in mind you might be asked to make commercial considerations of the information you are presented with.

Hope that helps.
    Are these test hand-written or done electronically?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varis)
    Are these test hand-written or done electronically?
    A mixture. The longer ones where you have to write more tend to be done on a computer. The ones where you have to mark things up/are more about attention to detail tend to be done by hand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    A mixture. The longer ones where you have to write more tend to be done on a computer. The ones where you have to mark things up/are more about attention to detail tend to be done by hand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks J-SP! I'm new to all of this forum stuff so sorry for the rather dumb questions.

Are the writing pieces manageable (Like short)? Because I have problems with writing due to wrist injuries so I'm unsure if I'll be able to whip out say a 1k word essay in 30 minutes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varis)
    Thanks J-SP! I'm new to all of this forum stuff so sorry for the rather dumb questions.

Are the writing pieces manageable (Like short)? Because I have problems with writing due to wrist injuries so I'm unsure if I'll be able to whip out say a 1k word essay in 30 minutes.
    You need to speak to the firm in question. If you have an injury and need reasonable adjustments (eg for it to be typed instead of hand written or extra time) just ask for it. They will be used to having to make reasonable adjustments and want you to perform to your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    You need to speak to the firm in question. If you have an injury and need reasonable adjustments (eg for it to be typed instead of hand written or extra time) just ask for it. They will be used to having to make reasonable adjustments and want you to perform to your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I always thought all the application tests were done via electronic stuff.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varis)
    Thank you! I always thought all the application tests were done via electronic stuff.
    I misunderstood. Application style tests (psychometric tests - verbal/numerical/logical reasoning) are typically done online prior to assessment centre, although you can be reassessed at the AC, and can be done via a computer or a paper test. These are multiple choice answers though.

Written tests are usually done at AC or interview stage though. Some recruiters are now using written tests online prior to AC, but these typically require you to be filmed via a webcam at the same time as completing them (to ensure it is you doing them).

If you only mean applications, then pretty much all of them are online forms. I only know of one firm that still asks for a handwritten application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I misunderstood. Application style tests (psychometric tests - verbal/numerical/logical reasoning) are typically done online prior to assessment centre, although you can be reassessed at the AC, and can be done via a computer or a paper test. These are multiple choice answers though.

Written tests are usually done at AC or interview stage though. Some recruiters are now using written tests online prior to AC, but these typically require you to be filmed via a webcam at the same time as completing them (to ensure it is you doing them).

If you only mean applications, then pretty much all of them are online forms. I only know of one firm that still asks for a handwritten application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for this! Do you know where I could find more information in general about law-career stuff? I've just begun my research on this forum to better understand what I need to do as I'm an incoming year 1 Law student!

I don't really want to have to bother so many people online so any resources would be great! Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varis)
    Thank you so much for this! Do you know where I could find more information in general about law-career stuff? I've just begun my research on this forum to better understand what I need to do as I'm an incoming year 1 Law student!

I don't really want to have to bother so many people online so any resources would be great! Thanks
    Lawcareers.net
    Lawyer2B
    Allaboutlaw
    Targetjobs law

Should find a pretty good mix of advice/resources across those. Also look at joining one of the organisations that help get access to the professions like Bright Network, TargetChances or Aspiring Solicitors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.