Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Extended Project on Autism Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think you're really going to struggle with this - unless you've experienced living with an Autistic sibling, it's going to be impossible to write about it. I don't believe, in general, that films and TV programmes tend to portray things like this that well. Not that I've seen anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I think there's something called Social Stories which may explain to younger children what Autism is.
    Social Stories are more used to help young people on the spectrum cope with different situations, understanding the reactions and behaviour of other people and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I think a starting point would be to decide roughly the extent to which the sibling may be affected by autism.

My brother has Aspergers and has a steady job and has a small number of friends. He's looking to buy a flat. I've worked with children who are profoundly affected by Autism, who will need to be looked after their whole lives and who will likely never have a meaningful relationship with anyone other than their parents or carers.

It's called a spectrum for a reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I honestly think you're really going to struggle with this - unless you've experienced living with an Autistic sibling, it's going to be impossible to write about it. I don't believe, in general, that films and TV programmes tend to portray things like this that well. Not that I've seen anyway.
    I must admit that it is proving more difficult than I originally thought, but I will just try as hard as I can in my position. At the moment, I am attempting to immerse myself in the subject to get as much insight as possible. The project is a means to learn about something you are interested in and, while my book will undoubtedly have faults, I hope to come away with a better awareness of the condition. At secondary school, there was a boy in my friendship group with autism and, while I spent a lot of time with him, I didn't really understand exactly what he was going through. My real aim is to understand as best as I can.

(Original post by offhegoes)
    Social Stories are more used to help young people on the spectrum cope with different situations, understanding the reactions and behaviour of other people and so on.
    Thank you, I'll take this into account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    I think a starting point would be to decide roughly the extent to which the sibling may be affected by autism.

My brother has Aspergers and has a steady job and has a small number of friends. He's looking to buy a flat. I've worked with children who are profoundly affected by Autism, who will need to be looked after their whole lives and who will likely never have a meaningful relationship with anyone other than their parents or carers.

It's called a spectrum for a reason
    Yes, I think in my story the sibling will have moderate classic autism (able to speak but not high functioning), as Aspergers would probably not be as easy to spot in a young child.

ReputationRep:
    Hey My little brother (14 now) is autistic and I grew up living with him etc PM me for more info haha ;D

ReputationRep:
    I have a monozygotic twin with Asperger's, but don't want to talk about it. Just wanna say that this proves that the condition is not generally genetic in origin.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.