Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Slight Problem in the works Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I made a big mistake and I need some advice.
    I took Maths, Chemistry, Geography and Biology for A Level. Biology and Geography are great (straight As), but I have been struggling with Maths (getting Es and Ds in tests) but I thought I could pull it up in time for my AS exams in Summer, but despite my efforts of around 2 hours a day of Maths not much seems to be improving. But because of this, Chemistry has slipped. I got my report last week and my Predicted Grade is a D....a D. I'm not happy with that. I know it could be worse, but it could be a hell of a lot better.
    What should I do?
    I don't want to compromise my three main subjects for Maths, since they're are what are going to get me into University.
    My mocks are next week, I have been preparing for weeks......but this has come up as a problem and I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geo_sciences)
    I took Maths, Chemistry, Geography and Biology for A Level. Biology and Geography are great (straight As), but I have been struggling with Maths (getting Es and Ds in tests) but I thought I could pull it up in time for my AS exams in Summer, but despite my efforts of around 2 hours a day of Maths not much seems to be improving. But because of this, Chemistry has slipped. I got my report last week and my Predicted Grade is a D....a D. I'm not happy with that. I know it could be worse, but it could be a hell of a lot better.
    What should I do?
    I don't want to compromise my three main subjects for Maths, since they're are what are going to get me into University.
    My mocks are next week, I have been preparing for weeks......but this has come up as a problem and I don't know what to do.
    If you are truly putting in 2 hours per day on maths and are getting D/E in tests then it seems maths is just not for you. Either that or you are not really putting in the time or have some abysmal manner of revision/practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc_chiefs)
    If you are truly putting in 2 hours per day on maths and are getting D/E in tests then it seems maths is just not for you. Either that or you are not really putting in the time or have some abysmal manner of revision/practice.
    Ermm..thanks? I guess..

ReputationRep:
    what revision methods have you tried for maths? past papers? practice questions? you still have some time to turn things around...and don't worry about predicted grades, if you know you can exceed that then don't let it worry you

ReputationRep:
    What should I do?
    I chose exactly the same as you for AS level. Maths was also a big struggle for me and from A*s in both GCSE Maths and GCSE Statistics I got a D at AS, due to both poor teaching of maths at my college, and maybe could've practised more, as well as the uninteresting content.

But I got an A in the other 3 which are the most important.

What I would say is DO NOT let Chemistry slip and focus on that, you have a much better chance of getting a good grade in that, and I found it more interesting and enjoyable than maths which unlike at GCSE, had nothing interesting or of real life usage except Statistics.

I dropped it immediately after results day, though ideally I would have liked a C because it 'looks better' than a D which looks like a fail (though in true A level terms of course it isn't). I would suggest you do the same so you don't need to struggle next year.

Do what you can for maths to scrape a C at least, but for people like us it doesn't click, so really focus on your other 3 which are also hard subjects but more enjoyable I would hope. I am in the fortunate position of not having to resit any exams from last year (Chemistry/biol particularly for many) and many of my friends who did better in maths are having to frantically revise and resit their AS topics for bio+chem.

You may want to consider tuition for maths, reading mark schemes or copying out of 'exam solutions' videos clearly didn't work for me, but extra tuition with your teachers or outside of school would certainly help. That's what I should have done, though that would mean less time on the other three!

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    what revision methods have you tried for maths? past papers? practice questions? you still have some time to turn things around...and don't worry about predicted grades, if you know you can exceed that then don't let it worry you
    I've been trying past papers and flashcards. I don't really know what else to do? And thank you for the positivity, it's kinda nice to hear from someone
    Every time I do a past paper I seem to get the things I did wrong before right, but everything I did right before wrong. It's confusing. I don't even seem to know what's right anymore. It all looks wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj1)
    I chose exactly the same as you for AS level. Maths was also a big struggle for me and from A*s in both GCSE Maths and GCSE Statistics I got a D at AS, due to both poor teaching of maths at my college, and maybe could've practised more.

But I got an A in the other 3 which are the most important.

What I would say is DO NOT let Chemistry slip and focus on that, you have a much better chance of getting a good grade in that, and I found it more interesting and enjoyable than maths which unlike GCSE, had nothing interesting or of real life usage except statistics.

I dropped it immediately after results day, though ideally I would have liked a C because it 'looks better' than a D which looks like a fail (though in true A level terms of course it isn't)

Do what you can for maths to scrape a C at least, but for people like us it doesn't click, so really focus on your other 3 which are also hard subjects but more enjoyable I would hope. I am in the fortunate position of not having to resit any exams from last year (Chemistry/biol particularly) and many of my friends who did better in maths are having to frantically revise and resit their AS topics for bio+chem.

Hope this helps.
    Very helpful, thank you!
    I think I've decided to stick it out until my mock exams next week, and then see from there? I agree with you completely! Thank you so so much

I am loving my other subjects, a lot more interesting. I think because I can visualise them more. But I don't want to fail at Chemistry. Not at all. That is remaining as my main focus and priority.

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying past papers and flashcards. I don't really know what else to do? And thank you for the positivity, it's kinda nice to hear from someone
    Every time I do a past paper I seem to get the things I did wrong before right, but everything I did right before wrong. It's confusing. I don't even seem to know what's right anymore. It all looks wrong.
    I think your problem lies in understanding the nature of the questions and what method to use. I would suggest first to try going to ExamSolutions and watch the tutorials there (or at M4ths and HegartyMaths), to first gain a bit more understanding. Then use your text book and answer every question on a specific topic until you understand, and then Physics and Maths Tutor website to do the exam style questions by topic.

Edit: when you make a mistake in an exam past paper, write ot doen in fromt of the paper so that you can do more revision later.

ReputationRep:
    to improve in maths you need to keep practicing, do all the practice questions in your textbook and then past papers (do solomon papers as well), and i'd recommend using examsolutions website for maths help, he's very helpful! he goes through past papers and explains how to answer each question, however it depends what exam board you're on as I don't think he's gone through every past paper for each exam board, check if he has. Do you plan on dropping maths? if you do then focus more on your other subjects. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    I think your problem lies in understanding the nature of the questions and what method to use. I would suggest first to try going to ExamSolutions and watch the tutorials there (or at M4ths and HegartyMaths), to first gain a bit more understanding. Then use your text book and answer every question on a specific topic until you understand, and then Physics and Maths Tutor website to do the exam style questions by topic.

Edit: when you make a mistake in an exam past paper, write ot doen in fromt of the paper so that you can do more revision later.
    Right, I'll try it. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    to improve in maths you need to keep practicing, do all the practice questions in your textbook and then past papers (do solomon papers as well), and i'd recommend using examsolutions website for maths help, he's very helpful! he goes through past papers and explains how to answer each question, however it depends what exam board you're on as I don't think he's gone through every past paper for each exam board, check if he has. Do you plan on dropping maths? if you do then focus more on your other subjects. Good luck!
    Yes, I definitely plan on dropping maths. I just thought I could at least get an AS Level out of it.
    Thank you, I'm going to check it out now

ReputationRep:
    Very helpful, thank you!
    I think I've decided to stick it out until my mock exams next week, and then see from there? I agree with you completely! Thank you so so much

I am loving my other subjects, a lot more interesting. I think because I can visualise them more. But I don't want to fail at Chemistry. Not at all. That is remaining as my main focus and priority.
    Glad I could help! I'm also glad there is someone who was in the same position as me before, since this combination in my college was quite rare (Geography being the 'odd' one!), and someone different to the sometimes arrogant Maths TSR crowd who plague the Post-Exam threads with "C2 was ****easy, bet I got 99.9% UMS" comments and such. Don't take any notice of them.

As long as you aren't looking at an engineering degree or anything, you will be able to apply for any decent university science course or even medicine if you get As in the others next year.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ermm..thanks? I guess..
    Hey, at least I am not giving you some feel good song and dance as seems to be very common on here. The fact is you either are no good at maths or you have done no work/terrible revision technique. Just by osmosis and showing up to your classes you shouldn't be getting D/E in the tests at this late stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc_chiefs)
    Hey, at least I am not giving you some feel good song and dance as seems to be very common on here. The fact is you either are no good at maths or you have done no work/terrible revision technique. Just by osmosis and showing up to your classes you shouldn't be getting D/E in the tests at this late stage.
    Fair enough

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.