Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm currently studying the International Baccalaureate and I am hoping to apply for Biological Sciences. I'm struggling to come up with an interesting research question to investigate for my Biology Extended Essay, any suggestions would be much appreciated! I need something relatively unique and strongly biology focused as it will be something I speak about in my personal statement/at interview. (hoping to apply for Oxford, Imperial, Bristol...)

If any current students have any ideas of things universities would consider interesting research questions, or anything you would have enjoyed investigating in sixth form I'd be so grateful!

The general topic areas I would find interesting include, animal behaviour (although I am restricted to investigations in my school lab and strict policy on use of animals), biofuel production and plant biology. Although I love biology and I would investigate anything happily I just need a question!

I thought about investigating something to do with algal biofuel production- but I couldn't narrow down a specific question with an independent and dependent variable, method etc.

Please help haha
    Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Talk to your advisor about this because you'll be fairly limited by what is available to you and how much money you can spend on this. You aren't expected to do any ground breaking research at this stage and unis generally are more interested in seeing whether you have made an effort to develop your interest in the field and what skills you've gained rather than what you actually do.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.