The Student Room Group

How to Revise GCSE mathematics?

Hello,
I am predicted an A* in maths and am working at A/B standard currently. I would like to revise the topics and make comprehensive notes on it all, but am unsure of how to revise maths, or where to find resources for all topics that are to A* level. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (I am doing Edexcel specification b for maths, and by some miracle got an A in my mock)
Reply 1
Original post by imokin
Hello,
I am predicted an A* in maths and am working at A/B standard currently. I would like to revise the topics and make comprehensive notes on it all, but am unsure of how to revise maths, or where to find resources for all topics that are to A* level. Any advice would be greatly appreciated (I am doing Edexcel specification b for maths, and by some miracle got an A in my mock)

Maths watch, is highly recommended. :smile:
I find that notes (apart from definitions/university level Maths) aren't that great for Maths - just practice as much as you can. If you have the textbook, work through it. After that, do past papers.
Corbettmaths
Paat papers
Maths watch A* topics
Original post by imokin
Hello,

There are some websites that have specifically cut all the questions from exams on one topic and pasted them into a collection for you to do - find these for your weakest areas. I'm doing Edexcel maths GCSE too and the best way for me to revise is through past papers - but focus on what you are getting wrong rather than the correct ones you find easy.

Please feel free to message me and you can comment on here if you want anymore help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511
Reply 5
Thank you :smile:
It's just that I am dyscalculic, so will do questions, then forget how to do the topic the next day, so need to have the method written down somewhere so I can memorize it as doing questions doesn't seem to make it stick :frown:. But the advice so far is very useful :h:
Original post by imokin
Thank you :smile:
It's just that I am dyscalculic, so will do questions, then forget how to do the topic the next day, so need to have the method written down somewhere so I can memorize it as doing questions doesn't seem to make it stick :frown:. But the advice so far is very useful :h:

in that case, could you not try to make your own like revision guide and cut out a question and annotate it with the steps to complete it and compile all these so that you can refer back to them at exam time.
Don't bother with notes for maths - get straight into practising a topic until you're confident :h:
Start with the questions from your textbook and then move on to exam questions.
There's no point knowing all of the circle theorems but not being able to apply them in an exam situation :smile:
Reply 8
Does Mathswatch cost money?
It's just that I can't seem to find it as a free resource anywhere
Reply 9
None of my teachers ever believed I could get an A* in maths, but I did! The best thing for me was to create 'perfect solutions' for every topic and sticking them all in a folder with colourful pens and stickers. I literally took it all around school with me every day (maybe possibly to show off how organised I was...) and it definitely paid off!
That and watching YouTube Videos of real teachers talking through exam papers. You can attempt the answer while you pause the video, and then press play. For a subject like maths it can be extremely helpful.

I might post something more in depth about this on my Grow Your Grades forum (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3898153). It might be worth it for you to watch the thread, and to create your own revision forum!
Original post by kit2016
None of my teachers ever believed I could get an A* in maths, but I did! The best thing for me was to create 'perfect solutions' for every topic and sticking them all in a folder with colourful pens and stickers. I literally took it all around school with me every day (maybe possibly to show off how organised I was...) and it definitely paid off!
That and watching YouTube Videos of real teachers talking through exam papers. You can attempt the answer while you pause the video, and then press play. For a subject like maths it can be extremely helpful.

I might post something more in depth about this on my Grow Your Grades forum (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3898153). It might be worth it for you to watch the thread, and to create your own revision forum!

Your GYG forum is great - would you mind checking out mine? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511
Reply 11
Indeed! Your forum certainly seems to have had a headstart on mine! I'm going to watch your thread and wish you luck for the year :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Your GYG forum is great - would you mind checking out mine? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3897511
Original post by kit2016
Indeed! Your forum certainly seems to have had a headstart on mine! I'm going to watch your thread and wish you luck for the year :smile:

Thank you and the best of luck to you too, I'm sure you will do really well :smile: and have fun with all the emojis :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest