Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't get above 60% in Edexcel AS Level Chemistry Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whatever paper I do - unit 1,2 or 3 I always am in the 60s and never go above. In unit one and two I make a lot of mistakes in the MCQ section even after being confident with my answers.. I am doing past papers and trying my best to correct my mistakes. Please give me some advice on how I can improve as I want to get an A for my AS exam this june :'(

ReputationRep:
    You're clearly not learning from your mistakes then, are you?

Do a paper. Accept the mistakes. Look at where you lost the marks. Add the points that you missed out in your answers. Then do the paper again the next day to make sure you remember everything and to make sure you don't repeat your mistakes.

Duh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wenogk)
    Whatever paper I do - unit 1,2 or 3 I always am in the 60s and never go above. In unit one and two I make a lot of mistakes in the MCQ section even after being confident with my answers.. I am doing past papers and trying my best to correct my mistakes. Please give me some advice on how I can improve as I want to get an A for my AS exam this june :'(
    Have a rigid approach to revision

Revise
    Past papers
    Mark
    Correct
    Revise failures
    Re-do questions
    Past papers
    (the cycle goes on)

ReputationRep:
    I find them quite hard but manage to usually get about 90% (ignoring questions on born-haber and inorg properties of groups 1,2, and 7 which we haven't done).

You know we're on a new spec right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    I find them quite hard but manage to usually get about 90% (ignoring questions on born-haber and inorg properties of groups 1,2, and 7 which we haven't done).

You know we're on a new spec right?
    Does this mean that Edexcel chemistry exams on june will have the paper on the new spec?

A bit confused, teachers tell me that it'll be old spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azefayuu)
    Does this mean that Edexcel chemistry exams on june will have the paper on the new spec?

A bit confused, teachers tell me that it'll be old spec.
    Are you in the UK? The thing is, I don't think that with the A level reforms, you actually have to do any exams this summer. However my school wants to do it for good practice, and top unis would prefer if you did them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Are you in the UK? The thing is, I don't think that with the A level reforms, you actually have to do any exams this summer. However my school wants to do it for good practice, and top unis would prefer if you did them.
    Not from the UK.

Sorry, what do you mean by reforms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azefayuu)
    Not from the UK.

Sorry, what do you mean by reforms?
    Don't worry then, it's different outside the UK

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll get better in time, noone goes from 0 to 100 straight away. You just gotta keep pushing yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiv is Light)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll get better in time, noone goes from 0 to 100 straight away. You just gotta keep pushing yourself
    Thanks for the motivation! I will never stop pushing myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    You're clearly not learning from your mistakes then, are you?

Do a paper. Accept the mistakes. Look at where you lost the marks. Add the points that you missed out in your answers. Then do the paper again the next day to make sure you remember everything and to make sure you don't repeat your mistakes.

Duh.
    Ok thanks I will follow this method..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Have a rigid approach to revision

Revise
    Past papers
    Mark
    Correct
    Revise failures
    Re-do questions
    Past papers
    (the cycle goes on)
    I guess what I lack is a rigid approach - will try to incorporate it to my work. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wenogk)
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.