Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 11 and currently studying for 14 GCSEs (including further maths). In my Further Maths Mock I got a B (my lowest grade) with one day of revision. However I would like to get an A grade in the summer, although would an a grade at GCSE be a disadvantage if I want to apply to Oxbridge for Medicine? This is because my aim is to get 11/12A*S and 1/2As at GCSE. However if I do further Maths I know I won't be able to get an A*, because we have self teach the content ourselves.

Hence, I feel that if I do Further Maths, I may not be able to get what I want for my other subjects.

I talked to my teacher he said I should do, because the course cover Core 1 of AS level. However I am really unsure...

I Apologise for the long message, but I need to tell my teacher soon; before he enters me for the exam in the summer

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how true this is but our head of maths said anyone who is capable of A/*A* in maths doesn't have a worry with Further Maths. She said it would only mean an extra few hours of revision but those aiming for a B would have to put more work in.

ReputationRep:
    you're clearly a high achiever, and for people like you i'd say there would be no disadvantage of doing an extra subject- even if it is a B.
    honestly, i'm in a similar position to you. i consistently get a* grades in maths and have for over a year. i took up further maths reluctantly and got an A on my mock with little to no preparation. i got a lot of stick for that a grade because my class had this expectation of me getting close to perfect marks. i really wanted to drop it - but then i realised something that i think you need to realise too.
    i envisage that you don't find your current level of qualification particularly challenging since you are doing so well across the board. further maths is a challenge, it will do wonders for your gcse and alevel grades if you give it a go. the point is, further maths is not very common to have so you will stand out just a little bit more. since you are going for a competitive course, this could just give you the edge over someone else.
    even if you get a b, it will show your commitment and effort. in all honesty i don't think it is a big deal whether or not you take it but i would strongly recommend it just because of it being interesting.
    i hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe2108)
    you're clearly a high achiever, and for people like you i'd say there would be no disadvantage of doing an extra subject- even if it is a B.
    honestly, i'm in a similar position to you. i consistently get a* grades in maths and have for over a year. i took up further maths reluctantly and got an A on my mock with little to no preparation. i got a lot of stick for that a grade because my class had this expectation of me getting close to perfect marks. i really wanted to drop it - but then i realised something that i think you need to realise too.
    i envisage that you don't find your current level of qualification particularly challenging since you are doing so well across the board. further maths is a challenge, it will do wonders for your gcse and alevel grades if you give it a go. the point is, further maths is not very common to have so you will stand out just a little bit more. since you are going for a competitive course, this could just give you the edge over someone else.
    even if you get a b, it will show your commitment and effort. in all honesty i don't think it is a big deal whether or not you take it but i would strongly recommend it just because of it being interesting.
    i hope this helped

Thankyou so much; rep points to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BULL14)
    I am in year 11 and currently studying for 14 GCSEs (including further maths). In my Further Maths Mock I got a B (my lowest grade) with one day of revision. However I would like to get an A grade in the summer, although would an a grade at GCSE be a disadvantage if I want to apply to Oxbridge for Medicine? This is because my aim is to get 11/12A*S and 1/2As at GCSE. However if I do further Maths I know I won't be able to get an A*, because we have self teach the content ourselves.

Hence, I feel that if I do Further Maths, I may not be able to get what I want for my other subjects.

I talked to my teacher he said I should do, because the course cover Core 1 of AS level. However I am really unsure...

I Apologise for the long message, but I need to tell my teacher soon; before he enters me for the exam in the summer
    What exam board are you taking Further Maths with?

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't since if you are going to do A level maths, it's just part of C1 so it doesn't show that much tbh.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.