Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Hoping someone can help me...

There is a strong possibility that I won't be legible for SFE, as I haven't been resident in the UK/EEU for 3 years. I'm a mature student, and am dependent on my mother - who has been in the UK/EEU for 11 years.

Thus, I need to apply for finance through a private loans company - any suggestions?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireFad)
    any suggestions?
    Wait until you've been in the UK for three years and then go to uni.

At that point you'll be eligible for both Student Finance and the much (much) lower Home/UK tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Wait until you've been in the UK for three years and then go to uni.

At that point you'll be eligible for both Student Finance and the much (much) lower Home/UK tuition fees.
    Thank Klix88, I'm an EU Citizen, and eligible for Home/UK Tuition fees already... And being a bit old (haha - 28) I don't really want to wait three years longer.. :'(

ReputationRep:
    Thank Klix88, I'm an EU Citizen, and eligible for Home/UK Tuition fees already... And being a bit old (haha - 28) I don't really want to wait three years longer.. :'(
    I went to uni aged 44, so being 28 is nothing!

Waiting is a far better option than getting locked into a lengthy commercial+ loan.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    I went to uni aged 44, so being 28 is nothing!

Waiting is a far better option than getting locked into a lengthy commercial+ loan.
    ^this

And 3 years of earning a wage will reduce your need for the maintenance loan.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with both the oldies above (and I'm older than both of them.) Avoid having a millstone of private debt around your neck. Work and wait.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I agree with both the oldies above (and I'm older than both of them.) Avoid having a millstone of private debt around your neck. Work and wait.
    PRSOM
    :shakecane::scrooge::shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    hi,

Hoping someone can help me...

There is a strong possibility that I won't be legible for SFE, as I haven't been resident in the UK/EEU for 3 years. I'm a mature student, and am dependent on my mother - who has been in the UK/EEU for 11 years.

Thus, I need to apply for finance through a private loans company - any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Has your Mum been working in the UK for the last 3 years? If so then you can claim a maintenance loan as the child of a migrant worker. Otherwise the private loan companies here have extortionate rates and you would have to make repayments before you've finished studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    PRSOM
    :shakecane::scrooge::shakecane:
    I don't think we see enough cane shaking around these parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Has your Mum been working in the UK for the last 3 years? If so then you can claim a maintenance loan as the child of a migrant worker. Otherwise the private loan companies here have extortionate rates and you would have to make repayments before you've finished studying.
    hi, Jelly1000,

my mum has been in the UK for 6 years, and was in Ireland before that

I'm desperate to study, and have an unconditional offer from my dream university...

I'm considering taking out a private loan to cover the first year, and then trying for finance again next year...?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Even if over 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I don't think we see enough cane shaking around these parts.
    hahaha!

ReputationRep:
    ^this

And 3 years of earning a wage will reduce your need for the maintenance loan.
    I know, but I am so excited about going NOW - oh dear :'(

Would applying for one year of funding, and then trying SFE again next year be a bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    Even if over 18?
    Of course, student finance is only there for Higher education students, the vast majority of whom are at least 18

ReputationRep:
    I know, but I am so excited about going NOW - oh dear :'(

Would applying for one year of funding, and then trying SFE again next year be a bad idea?
    If your Mum has been working and can provide evidence of having worked in the UK for the last 3 years e.g. with payslips, as I said you can claim as the child of a migrant worker.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Of course, student finance is only there for Higher education students, the vast majority of whom are at least 18
    Doh! (Just your use of the "child" word confused my small brain for a minute...)

ReputationRep:
    Doh! (Just your use of the "child" word confused my small brain for a minute...)

Sorry my bad

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so to clarify all of your answers:

I can apply for tuition finance as the child of a migrant worker, /or

I work for 3 years and can apply for tuition and maintenance loan?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so to clarify all of your answers:

I can apply for tuition finance as the child of a migrant worker, /or

I work for 3 years and can apply for tuition and maintenance loan?
    If student finance confirm that you do class as the child of a migrant worker, then you can claim tuition fees and a maintenance loan I believe. However you need to double check this with student finance.

ReputationRep:
    If student finance confirm that you do class as the child of a migrant worker, then you can claim tuition fees and a maintenance loan I believe. However you need to double check this with student finance.
    Thanks Jelly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.