Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I might firm it for Neuroscience, but my options outside of London are Bristol, Nottingham and Cardiff. What is it like in that part of London? What did you think of the UG accomodation? What's the nightlife like? Did you feel safe going out at night?
Generally, what has your experience been like at UCL?
aylawilde
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey Laurasaur,

UCL is pretty central (you can walk to Oxford St worryingly quickly from main campus), so in terms of the area of London - it's great. You also have Camden just up the road which is good for nights out. UG is really variable and a big minus is that you can't pick where to live - they randomly allocate it based on what you list as important (so cost, location, single/double room, ensuite etc). My halls were disgusting, though they were the very cheapest ones and I believe they've been somewhat rennovated since I was there. Nightlife is good - massive variety, nightbuses make it easy to get out and go home when you want to. Alcohol when out is super expensive -- except a pint to cost £4-5. I've always felt safe at night - you just have to be sensible and not go home alone when too drunk. Tho like any other urban area, there is areas to avoid and crime does happen.
Punarnia_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Laurasaur)
I might firm it for Neuroscience, but my options outside of London are Bristol, Nottingham and Cardiff. What is it like in that part of London? What did you think of the UG accomodation? What's the nightlife like? Did you feel safe going out at night?
Generally, what has your experience been like at UCL?
Hey man, I'm a first year Neuroscientist, and I'll give you a little lowdown

So to answer your questions in order:
London: Bloomsbury is arguably one of the most pleasant areas of London. It has basically everything around it you could ask for. You've got TCR and Oxford street to the south, Camden to the north, Regents Park to the west, and Russell square to the east. All round beautiful place to be.
Accomodation: Accomodation is ok... I'm not gonna scream and shout over it, not a massive fan of the way in which you apply (gives you very little control over what you get), my biggest advice is if you're on a low budget, do NOT say you're up for paying £180pw max, because you will most likely get accom that's £200. I'm currently in accom that costs £198pw, but I can afford it because UCL do bursaries as standard and I receive the max amount. (£3000py)
Nightlife: Nightlife in London is exactly what you make of it. I'm not big on going out all the time, but there are hundreds of opportunities in London to go out, also UCL have 'sports night' on Wednesdays at Loop in oxford street which is really fun.
Safety: absolutely no issue, ever. That is all haha, it's really not an issue

Last point: about your other places you've applied: I have Neuro mates scattered across the country, Notts, Bristol, Dundee, Kings. They are all telling me about how they're being taught is not matched by their uni, because SO much of current neuroscientific knowledge came from UCL. Literally speaking, about 70% of my neuro course consists of research from UCL, which is fundamental, not even them beating their chests. If you want to be at the cutting edge, come to UCL. it's worth every minute, bro.
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Punarnia_)

London: Bloomsbury is arguably one of the most pleasant areas of London. It has basically everything around it you could ask for. You've got TCR and Oxford street to the south, Camden to the north, Regents Park to the west, and Russell square to the east. All round beautiful place to be.
Accomodation: Accomodation is ok... I'm not gonna scream and shout over it, not a massive fan of the way in which you apply (gives you very little control over what you get), my biggest advice is if you're on a low budget, do NOT say you're up for paying £180pw max, because you will most likely get accom that's £200. I'm currently in accom that costs £198pw, but I can afford it because UCL do bursaries as standard and I receive the max amount. (£3000py)
Nightlife: Nightlife in London is exactly what you make of it. I'm not big on going out all the time, but there are hundreds of opportunities in London to go out, also UCL have 'sports night' on Wednesdays at Loop in oxford street which is really fun.

Last point: about your other places you've applied: I have Neuro mates scattered across the country, Notts, Bristol, Dundee, Kings. They are all telling me about how they're being taught is not matched by their uni, because SO much of current neuroscientific knowledge came from UCL. Literally speaking, about 70% of my neuro course consists of research from UCL, which is fundamental, not even them beating their chests. If you want to be at the cutting edge, come to UCL. it's worth every minute, bro.
You have really convinced me to firm UCL, it sounds completely amazing Thank you so much for your reply!
DeadEnd_96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Punarnia_)

Hi, I am thinking about studying Neuroscience at UCL as well. How are you finding the course in general? How are the lectures and tutorials? Do you do a lot of practicals and experiments? Thanks.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aylawilde)
Hey Laurasaur,

UCL is pretty central (you can walk to Oxford St worryingly quickly from main campus), so in terms of the area of London - it's great. You also have Camden just up the road which is good for nights out. UG is really variable and a big minus is that you can't pick where to live - they randomly allocate it based on what you list as important (so cost, location, single/double room, ensuite etc). My halls were disgusting, though they were the very cheapest ones and I believe they've been somewhat rennovated since I was there. Nightlife is good - massive variety, nightbuses make it easy to get out and go home when you want to. Alcohol when out is super expensive -- except a pint to cost £4-5. I've always felt safe at night - you just have to be sensible and not go home alone when too drunk. Tho like any other urban area, there is areas to avoid and crime does happen.
How much are we talking about in terms of 'cheapest' accomodation? I'm stuck between Warwick and UCL, leaning heavily towards Warwick because of the Maths department's rep and it being cheaper. I think I'll have £230/week to put to use, i.e. pay for accom, going out, travelling etc - is that enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JZ53E
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DeadEnd_96)
Hi, I am thinking about studying Neuroscience at UCL as well. How are you finding the course in general? How are the lectures and tutorials? Do you do a lot of practicals and experiments? Thanks.
Hey, there! I'm also a first year neuroscientist at UCL so I'll try to answer your questions for you. (I'm pretty sure Punarnia_ is too busy rowing anyway, eh mate?😂)

Alright so the course overall is quite demanding but the majority of the content is interesting. We have two neuro specific modules that we take throughout the year and number of other modules like biochemistry and mammalian physiology which are sort of broad introductory courses. You'll quickly realise which lectures you like and which you don't but you usually only have them for 3/4 sessions anyways.

We only have tutorials for one of our modules and theres only three of them. I personally love them! They are easily my favourite part of the course. Its basically a group discussion about neurobiological concepts that's prompted by a tutor.

We do practicals every 2/3 weeks I think depending on the modules that term and when you've been time tabled them. They're normally 2ish hours long and you get to do some pretty cool stuff.

Hope that helps! If you have anymore questions I'd be happy to answer them

For the OP I'd say the student life here at UCL is honestly great. The majority of people I have met are always friendly and just generally nice. Loads of student support is offered too for anyone who needs it. Plus you get to be in London which is awesome!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (166)
59.29%
I don't have everything I need (114)
40.71%

Watched Threads