Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a fitness instructor and full-time student. AMA! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    You and foo :love:
    I feel like there's a vital piece of information that I'm missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D8238)
    You sound surprised like I actually have qualifications in this...ohwait.
    I am surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    This is probably the most surprising one of these threads I've ever seen.
    It's actually making me want to un-derail it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I am surprised.
    I hate to break it to you but I'm REPs accredited. Like... the GMC for fitness professionals. I have insurance, full qualifications and 2 years experience.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D8238)
    I feel like there's a vital piece of information that I'm missing.
    Dw, inside joke

(Original post by D8238)
    You sound surprised like I actually have qualifications in this...ohwait.
    Most people with some kind of qualification would have blown a casket by now; however you've shown you know something, been friendly and have something half decent to say - we're more in shock than anything!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What do you teach/ run day to day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    What do you teach/ run day to day?
    That's an interesting question. I'm currently in completing a Bsc Biomedical Science, so this is definitely a part-time job.

I teach an early morning circuits class every Wednesday, as well as a Legs Bums and Tums. Most months I have between 2 and 5 extra cover classes, and in the summer I am much more busy with about 5 classes every week, mostly aerobics and bootcamp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D8238)
    I hate to break it to you but I'm REPs accredited. Like... the GMC for fitness professionals. I have insurance, full qualifications and 2 years experience.
    Tbh qualified PTs and fitness instructors have a terrible rep and largely are taught stuff straight from textbooks that went out of print 50 years ago. Sounds silly when I say, but we get a lot of people coming on here and announcing that they're qualified and ready to answer all our questions, so those of us that have been in the game a little while ask some basic questions and watch as they inadvertently reveal their lack of knowledge while we pick apart their answers :lol: However, you seem to be somewhat of an anomaly as you've actually answered every question sensibly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Tbh qualified PTs and fitness instructors have a terrible rep and largely are taught stuff straight from textbooks that went out of print 50 years ago. Sounds silly when I say, but we get a lot of people coming on here and announcing that they're qualified and ready to answer all our questions, so those of us that have been in the game a little while ask some basic questions and watch as they inadvertently reveal their lack of knowledge while we pick apart their answers :lol: However, you seem to be somewhat of an anomaly as you've actually answered every question sensibly
    Mmm you have a point. I think one of the hardest things to say as an instructor/PT etc. is "I don't know". But sometimes you have to have integrity and hold your hands up and say "I don't have the answer". I often suggest that people get a PT, or go to a yoga class, GP or chiropracter depending on what problem they've asked me about. I think it's because I'm quite young - compared to all the other instructors I know! - and I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D8238)
    Mmm you have a point. I think one of the hardest things to say as an instructor/PT etc. is "I don't know". But sometimes you have to have integrity and hold your hands up and say "I don't have the answer". I often suggest that people get a PT, or go to a yoga class, GP or chiropracter depending on what problem they've asked me about. I think it's because I'm quite young - compared to all the other instructors I know! - and I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong.
    Well you seem more knowledgeable than 99% of the ones I've ever come across

ReputationRep:
    Well you seem more knowledgeable than 99% of the ones I've ever come across
    How many PTs have you come across?

:dice:

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not enough!

ReputationRep:

:dice:
    A few IRL, several online. Most know **** all.

ReputationRep:
    A few IRL, several online. Most know **** all.
    Well I'll take that as a huge compliment.

This thread has died a painfully slow death. Ah, I tried.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D8238)

This is a relatively quiet sub forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D8238)

I suffer from water retention and my stomach is quite bloated what advise/exercise would you recommend? I currently do 100 situps a day and squats started this a week ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    I suffer from water retention and my stomach is quite bloated what advise/exercise would you recommend? I currently do 100 situps a day and squats started this a week ago.
    Water retention and bloating is a diet issue. Go speak to your GP is it's troubling you as there could be other things wrong.

But for the exercise: just doing 100 situps a day, or even 100 squats a day is going to do little to no difference to your fitness level. Firstly because it's not enough cardio exercise. Secondly because you get used to the exercise quite quickly. That's why we like to change it up in classes and use different, increasing weights in the gym. You need to challenge your muscles. So try going for a jog to keep up your cardiovascular fitness, and try out a youtube workout video. I recommend the STRONGER series.

ReputationRep:
    I workout in the midday but when I'm home I have to eat (a lot). Not that I don't want to but I'm so used to having a big meal when I'm home in the evening. Can you recommend any way in which I can cut the amount of calories I intake or something else?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)
    I workout in the midday but when I'm home I have to eat (a lot). Not that I don't want to but I'm so used to having a big meal when I'm home in the evening. Can you recommend any way in which I can cut the amount of calories I intake or something else?
    Eat more protein and more fibre. Reduce the amount of low satiating carbs like white bread and white rice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leukocyte)
    Like I've mentioned before, I'm not a PT nor a nutritionist, so my advice is actually pretty poor on this issue.

However I have had personal experience with this, and a few things have helped me:
    1. Drink water. Lots of it, before you eat and then wait 10-30mins for it to settle.
    2. Eat slowwwwwly. Really concentrate on your food and savour it, you will get fuller quicker.
    3. Eat more slow-releasing calories at lunch, not just simple carbs, so that you still have some left after you workout.
    4 (and most important). Don't beat yourself up about what you eat. It's okay! We're not perfect. One big meal won't derail you, so don't suddenly portion control everything. Start slow. Plan your meals in advance and limit yourself to that. Have fruit after if you're still hungry, or my personal fave, banana ice cream [very ripe bananas, broken into small chunks and frozen. Then whizzed up in a food processor with some PB or frozen raspberries.] It makes a guilt free dessert!

If you're still having problems with your calories, book to see a PT with a nutritional qualification, or even a nutritionist, as they will be the most helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.