Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering - is a 2:2 a bad grade to leave uni with? Now I know a lot of graduate jobs look for 2:1 students, but if you left with a 2:2, would you be REALLY struggling to get a job. I'm only in first year, but I am lucky to be uni (messed up my A-Level exams, left with poor results) but I have learnt from that and in my foundation year and 1st semester in year 1 all my work to date has got at least 60% (bar one that got a B, 50%). Basically, I'm not the smartest and everything I have achieved in university I have worked insanely hard to get.

Back to the question - would a 2:2 rule you out of nearly all jobs, or is it about who you know? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    I mean any degree is better than no degree but it'll probably put you at a major disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    I mean any degree is better than no degree but it'll probably put you at a major disadvantage
    That's what I was thinking, a degree will get you up the pecking order compared to someone without one in the subject area, I was just curious on how wide the difference is between 2:2 and 2:1 is. As I said, I am only half way through 1st year so not sure what I am on target for, but I want to leave with a 2:1

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to graduate with anything below 2.1.

ReputationRep:
    You're saying that you've scraped into uni after 'messing up your exams'.

Although that's regrettable, there's no point in relating it to your degree. Consider university a clean slate, and work to the best of your ability to achieve that 2.1. They wouldn't accept you on the course if they didn't think you have enough potential to succeed.

To justify getting a 2.2 so early on is a deathwish. Never aim for mediocre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMT6)
    You're saying that you've scraped into uni after 'messing up your exams'.

Although that's regrettable, there's no point in relating it to your degree. Consider university a clean slate, and work to the best of your ability to achieve that 2.1. They wouldn't accept you on the course if they didn't think you have enough potential to succeed.

To justify getting a 2.2 so early on is a deathwish. Never aim for mediocre.
    I do regret it, my courseworks went very well but a few exams let me down.

Don't worry, I'm not justifying a 2:2 I was just curious, there was another post by an OP in their third year saying how they were on course for a 2:2 but with work they could get a 2:1 but the OP wasn't sure if it was worth the hassle, but it got me thinking how big is the gulf between 2:2 and 2:1 - I am aiming to leave with a 2:1 at least, so I'd be gutted with anything less

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.