Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know there's a higher starting salary for graduates, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to get a graduate job. I'm seeing more and more people just snubbing uni and just getting a job and making money with help to buy schemes, and things- so is uni actually worth it?

ReputationRep:
    How do you even get a job without a degree? All the non-graduate jobs are taken by graduates as there aren't enough graduate roles out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshmallow9999)
    x
    Depends...what career do you want?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what career you want. I worked in a pub for years and obviously that required no degree. I'm going to uni because I want a better career than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice__90)
    Depends on what career you want. I worked in a pub for years and obviously that required no degree. I'm going to uni because I want a better career than that.
    Im wanting to go down the kinda business analyst/accountancy route

ReputationRep:
    then yes, you should get a degree
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Have you thought about looking at apprenticeships/higher apprenticeships?

There's lots of info about them here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...pprenticeships

ReputationRep:
    so is uni actually worth it?
    Depends where and what you study.

ReputationRep:
    I know there's a higher starting salary for graduates, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to get a graduate job. I'm seeing more and more people just snubbing uni and just getting a job and making money with help to buy schemes, and things- so is uni actually worth it?
    Youre asking the wrong question because if youre going to uni to mess around and just want to go for the sake of saying "ive got a degree ive been to uni" then no. Going to uni and no offence doing a really crap degree like Art or something is pointless if youre going there with a actual plan and you want to pursue course uni is worth it. At the same time dont pick a degree thats fun but has no jobs at the end of the 3 years but dont pick something you cant be asking getting out of bed for. Have you got any choices about where you want to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    then yes, you should get a degree
    You don't need a degree to become an accountant.

ReputationRep:
    I've got Edinburgh uni or Edinburgh Napier

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.