Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to talk about mental health with GP Watch

Announcements

I have quite a good friendship with my GP and really the only thing I go to seem him for is my issue with migraines; he gave me some new medication a while ago and they worked for a while and have now stopped - this always happens, so I need to go back.

I have spoken to him in the past about anxiety and he gave me a beta-blocker but said it was only temporary but ended up having it for just under a year before he stopped giving it to me. I booked an appointment but ended up seeing a new student doctor who was patronising but sent me to CAMHS for therapy, fast forward 11 months I had my first session which was about a month ago now, and it was a waste of time and nothing happened but she sent a letter to the GP explaining the situation. As I also talked to her about depression.
    Which I have briefly brought up (feelings of depression) with my actual 'real' GP but he dismissed it as school related stress (I'm 16, now nearly 17).

I've been feeling depressed every since I started secondary school aged 11/12.
    Never felt better and it's got increasingly worse.

I'm going to see my regular GP tomorrow and just want advice on how to bring it up. Depression is worse, anxiety has gotten nowhere.
    It's so exhausting and I hate talking about it but it's REALLY effecting school and life as a whole.

Help?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x
    Did you manage to talk about this to them in the end? Hope you did! If not I've found writing things down before an appointment can help, then if all else fails I can just hand them the piece of paper and let them read it themselves. There's also websites like 'docready' (I think that's it!) designed for helping people do just this. I wouldn't give up on camhs just yet either if you can, they might help more than you think when you've been a few more times. Hope they do anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.