Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else bears extreme annoyance to certain sounds? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone hate certain sounds e.g. lip smacking, chewing, throat-clearing, keyboard typing, pens clicking, sniffling, or any others?

And by 'annoyance', I don't mean the general disdain for forks scratching plates or squeaky chalk on chalkboards. I mean the irrational panic/rage type. But if it isn't as extreme, you're more than welcome to have a say, even if it is squeaky chalk or ear-piercing cutlery.

If anyone is interested... this kind of thing is called misophonia. It has only been recognised as a mental condition in the early 00's, and so is not as well known as depression/autism/OCD. Many people speculate it is an offshoot of one of these conditions, but sufferers are usually healthy (until a sound triggers them).

Once this has enough responses, I'll give my story of it. I just need some reassurance of how many people have this, and how severe they have it. Thank you in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamitersen)
    Does anyone hate certain sounds e.g. lip smacking, chewing, throat-clearing, keyboard typing, pens clicking, sniffling, or any others?

And by 'annoyance', I don't mean the general disdain for forks scratching plates or squeaky chalk on chalkboards. I mean the irrational panic/rage type. But if it isn't as extreme, you're more than welcome to have a say, even if it is squeaky chalk or ear-piercing cutlery.

If anyone is interested... this kind of thing is called misophonia. It has only been recognised as a mental condition in the early 00's, and so is not as well known as depression/autism/OCD. Many people speculate it is an offshoot of one of these conditions, but sufferers are usually healthy (until a sound triggers them).

Once this has enough responses, I'll give my story of it. I just need some reassurance of how many people have this, and how severe they have it. Thank you in advance!
    I don't have this, but noise in general does cause me a fair bit of pain. It varies day to day what I can manage and what types- sometimes I'm alright with most things and sometimes just people talking can really hurt. Strangely I'm better with a bit of background noise (although I then can't pick individual things out) or when I'm doing something myself, like I can cope in a full band rehearsal where I'm playing better than in a room with a single person playing the piano. Sound is weird!

Edit: I also struggle with overstimulation a lot but think this is a separate issue most of the time :dontknow:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

The noise of one person's coughing in particular makes me really angry that I want to punch them or throw something, even though I'm not a violent person at all. Is this the kind of thing you mean?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have something similar called Phonophobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamitersen)

Crying babies... Which is strange cause one of my favourite sounds are people laughing, but just can't stand a crying baby...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The noise of one person's coughing in particular makes me really angry that I want to punch them or throw something, even though I'm not a violent person at all. Is this the kind of thing you mean?
    That's exactly what I mean

Neither am I - in fact, in everyday life I'm completely fine! But, for example, when someone coughs in 'weird way' (a way that, for some reason, doesn't sound 'normal' to me) then I literally go into fight-or-flight mode: if I can't go out of earshot of that person, then I feel an incredibly impulsive need to use force to get the sound to stop even if it involves being violent e.g. punching, throwing stuff at them. I also deal with this predicament by.. ermmm.. copying the person. But of course, if it's a stranger then I have to suck it all up until I can calm down somewhere safe.

It's a very strange thing to have. Life goes fine, no-one can tell anything is 'wrong' with you (nor can you), until someone makes that noise. Aaaaaaaand there goes my common sense :>

I'm glad to see that you have a similar thing too! <3

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.