The Student Room Group

History quotes

trying to find historiography on Disraeli and Gladstone for my exam, any ideas where i can find historians opinion on them?
Yeah, books. Read.
Reply 2
any ideas which ones?
Original post by benchbender
any ideas which ones?

Yeah, sorry I wasn't trying to be a prick its just an obvious answer.

What do you need the information for? Coursework? If so, which board are you on and what is your question?
Reply 4
no, im just trying to find historiography/historians opinions on Disraeli and Gladstone, so i can quote them in my final exam
my exam board is aqa and they require quotes from historians to get above a level 1
Reply 5
Robert blake on disraeli is all i can really find so far
I'm on AQA and tha's like not true at all... unless your AS? Then it could be.
Reply 7
Original post by ivybridge
I'm on AQA and tha's like not true at all... unless your AS? Then it could be.

I do AS and my teacher hasn't mentioned anything about quoting in essays. However, would quotes count as a good source of evidence to back up points?
Original post by Cherx
I do AS and my teacher hasn't mentioned anything about quoting in essays. However, would quotes count as a good source of evidence to back up points?

They could do but I really doubt you'll need them... I want to do history at university and I do AQA (I'm doing A2 though so I'm on the old spec) but I did not use any quotations. I used facts and figures entirely...
Reply 9
They could do but I really doubt you'll need them... I want to do history at university and I do AQA (I'm doing A2 though so I'm on the old spec) but I did not use any quotations. I used facts and figures entirely...

Ah okay I was thinking quotes might be easier to remember. How do you manage to remember all the facts and figures? There's so much! :motz:

Ooh nice choice.. I'm guessing the coursework hasn't drove you insane yet.
Original post by Cherx
Ah okay I was thinking quotes might be easier to remember. How do you manage to remember all the facts and figures? There's so much! :motz:

Ooh nice choice.. I'm guessing the coursework hasn't drove you insane yet.

No, I've done the coursework already aha. My first draft was like... a low A or something, I think. So hopefully it's an A* now.

I just do... tip: go through all of the past questions you can, print them off and staple them all together. Then, what you do is you go through and pick out all the common themes that arise. Then you take each theme and build up all the information you can that would help you answer questions on said themes - that tells you largely what is and isn't useful. Simply 'numbers', acts of parliament, events, people, opinions, whatever, can be used as evidence. Dates are not the be al and end all - know key ones and you're fine.
Reply 11
No, I've done the coursework already aha. My first draft was like... a low A or something, I think. So hopefully it's an A* now.

I just do... tip: go through all of the past questions you can, print them off and staple them all together. Then, what you do is you go through and pick out all the common themes that arise. Then you take each theme and build up all the information you can that would help you answer questions on said themes - that tells you largely what is and isn't useful. Simply 'numbers', acts of parliament, events, people, opinions, whatever, can be used as evidence. Dates are not the be al and end all - know key ones and you're fine.

Wow that's pretty impressive :awesome:

Ah okay at the moment I'm just trying to sort out my exam technique *sighs* so the thought of not knowing much facts/figures as well worries me.

Thanks for your tip :yy:
Original post by Cherx
Wow that's pretty impressive :awesome:

Ah okay at the moment I'm just trying to sort out my exam technique *sighs* so the thought of not knowing much facts/figures as well worries me.

Thanks for your tip :yy:

Yes but technique is useless if you don't know the content!
Reply 13
the aqa marks scheme for 2014 says to even get level 3 you need historical interpretations:

Answers will show an understanding of the demands of the question. They will providesome assessment, backed by relevant and appropriately selected evidence, which may,however, lack depth. There will be some synoptic links made between the ideas,arguments and information included although these may not be highly developed. Therewill be some understanding of varying historical interpretations. Answers will be clearlyexpressed and show reasonable organisation in the presentation of material.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-HIS3G-W-MS-JUN12.PDF
the aqa marks scheme for 2014 says to even get level 3 you need historical interpretations:

Answers will show an understanding of the demands of the question. They will providesome assessment, backed by relevant and appropriately selected evidence, which may,however, lack depth. There will be some synoptic links made between the ideas,arguments and information included although these may not be highly developed. Therewill be some understanding of varying historical interpretations. Answers will be clearlyexpressed and show reasonable organisation in the presentation of material.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-HIS3G-W-MS-JUN12.PDF

That does not mean you need quotations.
Reply 15
so what does it mean?
do you need to say:
Blake says "Disraeli was good"
or just blake agrees with this view???
(edited 8 years ago)
so what does it mean?
do you need to say:
Blake says "Disraeli was good"
or just blake agrees with this view???

Neither man. It's like in English where AO3 asks for other critical interpretations; it does NOT mean you look up critical reviews of Macbeth or whatever and use them. It means you give an alternative view, i.e.: "However, some readers may think..."

Quick Reply

Latest