The Student Room Group

The dream of going to Oxford...? But

Right.

Getting straight to the point, I really want to go to Oxford. Unfortunately, my GCSEs are hardly respectable. (AAAABBBBBBC) Eng Lang C. Eng Lit = B. Maths = A.

On that note, I have stepped it up at A-Level. I am soon to be sitting my AS Levels in Computer Science, Physics, Maths and Economics. In all subjects, I am anticipating getting As based on my end of module tests.

The dream is, going to Oxford to study Computer Science but on the UCAS website it implicitly states that they want a string of A-A* at GCSE.

Fortunately, I have a fair bit to say on my personal statement such as I have worked as a tutor for Explore Learning and have also worked as a waiter in a michelin star restaurant. I have graduated from the NCS course and completed the Ignite public speaking event. I've done a lot of charity work. Grade 4 piano. Maths challenge bronze achieved. Work experience at QUINTILES (Pharma company).

My question is, with all to say above and on the condition I achieve AAAA at AS, and A*A*AA for A2, do you think it is likely I'll get an offer?

All the best and thank you all to those who respond.

Kevin
Original post by Kaasi
Right.

Getting straight to the point, I really want to go to Oxford. Unfortunately, my GCSEs are hardly respectable. (AAAABBBBBBC) Eng Lang C. Eng Lit = B. Maths = A.

On that note, I have stepped it up at A-Level. I am soon to be sitting my AS Levels in Computer Science, Physics, Maths and Economics. In all subjects, I am anticipating getting As based on my end of module tests.

The dream is, going to Oxford to study Computer Science but on the UCAS website it implicitly states that they want a string of A-A* at GCSE.

Fortunately, I have a fair bit to say on my personal statement such as I have worked as a tutor for Explore Learning and have also worked as a waiter in a michelin star restaurant. I have graduated from the NCS course and completed the Ignite public speaking event. I've done a lot of charity work. Grade 4 piano. Maths challenge bronze achieved. Work experience at QUINTILES (Pharma company).

My question is, with all to say above and on the condition I achieve AAAA at AS, and A*A*AA for A2, do you think it is likely I'll get an offer?

Kevin

If I was going to be honest, I would say no. Oxford are well known for wanting a lot of A* at GCSE's, they look at GCSE's more than they do A levels.
Reply 2
try Cambridge, especially if its more convenient for you.
Original post by Kaasi
Right.

Kevin

Where does it say that? Regardless though, GCSEs are definitely not the most important part of your application. Your MAT score and interview performance (if you get invited) is much more important. Okay, your GCSEs are going to be significantly below the average but if you seriously impress in the MAT and interview, I don't think an application is impossible. Don't expect an offer but I don't think there's any harm in applying.

By the way, extracurricular activities that are not related to your subject (i.e. most of the ones you mentioned) are irrelevant as far as admissions is concerned. Some relevant reading or competitions would be a lot more useful.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
Where does it say that? Regardless though, GCSEs are definitely not the most important part of your application. Your MAT score and interview performance (if you get invited) is much more important. Okay, your GCSEs are going to be significantly below the average but if you seriously impress in the MAT and interview, I don't think an application is impossible. Don't expect an offer but I don't think there's any harm in applying.

By the way, extracurricular activities that are not related to your subject (i.e. most of the ones you mentioned) are irrelevant as far as admissions is concerned. Some relevant reading or competitions would be a lot more useful.

Do you think I would have a better chance applying for Cambridge? My mum said that Oxford mainly take on private students.
Original post by Kaasi
Do you think I would have a better chance applying for Cambridge?

Have they scrapped AS exams yet for your year? I don't remember who's the first year group to be affected by that. The answer would have been "it depends on your AS UMS" but with Cambridge's new changes, i.e. bringing in entrance exams, I'm not sure.

My mum said that Oxford mainly take on private students.

No, your background has absolutely no influence on your application. The difference in state school students is minimal between Oxford and Cambridge anyway.
Reply 6
Have they scrapped AS exams yet for your year? I don't remember who's the first year group to be affected by that. The answer would have been "it depends on your AS UMS" but with Cambridge's new changes, i.e. bringing in entrance exams, I'm not sure.

No, your background has absolutely no influence on your application. The difference in state school students is minimal between Oxford and Cambridge anyway.

Physics and Economics is a 2 year course. My maths and CS is still AS and A2. One of the reasons my GCSEs were poor in English and Science (C at Eng Lang and B in Chem B in biology and A in physics) is because they did not teach us unit 3 in time and we had to self teach ourselves moments before the exam. Also they lost all my year 10 coursework, meaning I had to resit year 10 English in year 11 and do all of year 11 work. The school was dreadful. Apparently, I can apply for a 'Special Circumstance' application which could raise my probability of getting accepted into either university...

Thoughts?
Original post by Kaasi
Physics and Economics is a 2 year course. My maths and CS is still AS and A2. One of the reasons my GCSEs were poor in English and Science (C at Eng Lang and B in Chem B in biology and A in physics) is because they did not teach us unit 3 in time and we had to self teach ourselves moments before the exam. Also they lost all my year 10 coursework, meaning I had to resit year 10 English in year 11 and do all of year 11 work. The school was dreadful. Apparently, I can apply for a 'Special Circumstance' application which could raise my probability of getting accepted into either university...

Thoughts?

As I say, I do not think your GCSE results are going to have a huge bearing on your application. Admissions tutors are going to be far more interested in your MAT performance than your GCSE English exam. By all means apply for special circumstances though.
I have seen it written that some colleges at least, and for certain subjects at the very least, pretty much only look at your GCSE / Equivalent and the relevant subject test score when making interview invitations, so you're probably screwed. Can't hurt to try though.

This^

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's quite a lot of misinformation in this thread. Let me try to correct some of it.

We would certainly prefer to see good GCSE results, but they are certainly not essential. Their importance in admissions decisions for Computer Science are quite small. I don't believe that we place more weight on them than Cambridge. However, OP would have to persuade us that he is better than his results suggest. See http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html#GCSEs for more on this.

My mum said that Oxford mainly take on private students.

Not true. For CS and joint schools, we take more than twice as many candidates from state schools as private schools.

I have seen it written that some colleges at least, and for certain subjects at the very least, pretty much only look at your GCSE / Equivalent and the relevant subject test score when making interview invitations,

There's some truth in that for Computer Science: we use a formula based on the MAT score and GCSE results to do an initial cut into probably/maybe/probably-not groups for shortlisting. But the MAT has the biggest influence on that formula. And we take other factors into account, such as educational background, particularly in the "maybe" group.

so you're probably screwed.

That doesn't follow. OP will need to do better in the MAT than somebody with better GCSEs; but only 5-10 marks better.

Gavin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending