The Student Room Group

AQA Biology questions

I have mock exams coming up in June, so I am beginning to prepare for them. My grades are **** (C/D) because I cannot seem to put the answers that AQA want for the questions, which are mostly application. It seems its just luck whether you happen to put the correct thing down. Any help for answering these questions better? AQA seem to put answers in the mark scheme that don't even relate to the question :frown:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Reply 2
I got an A last year and all I can really say is do loads of past papers! Also, read the question carefully and underline key words so you don't go offtopic and look at the number of marks available and use that as a guide for how many points you should be giving.
Reply 3
Thank you so much. I'm in year 12 atm and i'm doing a 2 year course, so i have time. Do you just have to remember the answers to the previous years questions? Because with AQA its mostly application of science right? So how to you prepare for examples you've never seen before? Because my answers are usually completely off, even if i understand the question.
Original post by Manexopi
I got an A last year and all I can really say is do loads of past papers! Also, read the question carefully and underline key words so you don't go offtopic and look at the number of marks available and use that as a guide for how many points you should be giving.
Reply 4
Ok will do, thanks :smile:
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Reply 5
Original post by UpAQA
Thank you so much. I'm in year 12 atm and i'm doing a 2 year course, so i have time. Do you just have to remember the answers to the previous years questions? Because with AQA its mostly application of science right? So how to you prepare for examples you've never seen before? Because my answers are usually completely off, even if i understand the question.

If you see a particular marking point that keeps coming up, you're better off learning it. With application questions make sure you understand what they're asking and use the information they've given you to help you out! State the obvious and be specific. I can't really say much else without seeing a question though.
Reply 6
If you see a particular marking point that keeps coming up, you're better off learning it. With application questions make sure you understand what they're asking and use the information they've given you to help you out! State the obvious and be specific. I can't really say much else without seeing a question though.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes

I did the Paper 2 (AS) : Specimen paper. Most of the questions I got wrong tbh. Either i worded it wrong or I was waaay off. The problem I think is that they give you marks for things they don't ask to t talk about sometimes, so i feel like you have to guess what they want.
Reply 7
Original post by UpAQA
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes

I did the Paper 2 (AS) : Specimen paper. Most of the questions I got wrong tbh. Either i worded it wrong or I was waaay off. The problem I think is that they give you marks for things they don't ask to t talk about sometimes, so i feel like you have to guess what they want.

Had a quick look, and these questions look pretty standard aside from the crazy amount of calculation questions. Have you properly revised the knowledge?Remember to use the data they give you if they ask for it. Trying to figure out what topic the question is about can also help you not go off track too much. With wording, be specific and expand e.g don't just say active transport but add in it requires ATP produced during respiration.
Describe the trend and quote data. Look out for whether they say explain or describe - alot of people seem to explain for a describe questions and describe for an explain question losing them marks.
Just don't rush, read the question carefully and use the info they gave you. You still have alot of time to improve exam technique so I'd recommend starting with the old spec papers to help finetune your wording and then onto your specimen papers later as I assume they'll be closer to your exam format. Honestly, everyone is pretty bad with AQA biology papers but it just takes some practice - I've been doing AQA bio since GCSE and still have had my fair share of completely wrong answers.

Also, check your spec! Don't spend loads of time learning unnecessary stuff (the book can waffle!) and don't just memorise for the sake of it. Understand what you're learning and then hopefully you should be able to apply your knowledge to most questions. I know application sucks but it's mostly practice and if its of any consolation, grade boundaries tend to be on the low side because of it.
Reply 8
Had a quick look, and these questions look pretty standard aside from the crazy amount of calculation questions. Have you properly revised the knowledge?Remember to use the data they give you if they ask for it. Trying to figure out what topic the question is about can also help you not go off track too much. With wording, be specific and expand e.g don't just say active transport but add in it requires ATP produced during respiration.
Describe the trend and quote data. Look out for whether they say explain or describe - alot of people seem to explain for a describe questions and describe for an explain question losing them marks.
Just don't rush, read the question carefully and use the info they gave you. You still have alot of time to improve exam technique so I'd recommend starting with the old spec papers to help finetune your wording and then onto your specimen papers later as I assume they'll be closer to your exam format. Honestly, everyone is pretty bad with AQA biology papers but it just takes some practice - I've been doing AQA bio since GCSE and still have had my fair share of completely wrong answers.

Also, check your spec! Don't spend loads of time learning unnecessary stuff (the book can waffle!) and don't just memorise for the sake of it. Understand what you're learning and then hopefully you should be able to apply your knowledge to most questions. I know application sucks but it's mostly practice and if its of any consolation, grade boundaries tend to be on the low side because of it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me, I'll do what you said. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest