Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, not a med student yet but I will be soon. Figured people in this forum might in the best position to answer this.

I was just looking through the stuff the uni sent me and stressing a bit. It says we need to prove we don't have TB. Well I never had the BCG vaccine and I think from what my mum told me that is because I had a positive mantoux. I had a chest x ray when I started my new job which was clear but didn't get another mantoux (they didn't want to do it because of a shortage of bcg vaccine)

So basically what I'm wondering is what is going to happen when I start uni and go and see occupational health? Say I get a positive mantoux reaction (which i think is likely if I have had one before?) but a clear chest xray, will they still put me on treatment for latent tb? I really really do not want to take anitbiotics for 6 months

ReputationRep:
    have u rang up occ health dept and asked them about this
    which uni is this btw
    i didn't get anything on TB it was just a normal like occ health form

ReputationRep:
    They'll just give you another BCG, no biggie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    have u rang up occ health dept and asked them about this
    which uni is this btw
    i didn't get anything on TB it was just a normal like occ health form
    hey i'd rather not say which uni but what they sent us is generic occupational health stuff saying we'll need blood tests for hepatitis and hiv as well as showing we don't have tb when we start

ringing occupational health might be good but its a bit difficult because I am not in the UK atm otherwise I would go to the GP and talk to them about it. If I have to take antibiotics I'd rather take them now than when I start. Has anyone had a similar experience

ReputationRep:
    Positive Mantoux doesn't necessarily mean you have TB, just that you've been exposed at some point and developed an immune reaction to it. Given the problems with MDR/XDR TB in some areas of the world, I imagine they won't be too keen to treat without a bit more of an indication! Obviously your risk of actually having undiagnosed TB will vary depending on where in the world you actually are/grew up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Positive Mantoux doesn't necessarily mean you have TB, just that you've been exposed at some point and developed an immune reaction to it. Given the problems with MDR/XDR TB in some areas of the world, I imagine they won't be too keen to treat without a bit more of an indication! Obviously your risk of actually having undiagnosed TB will vary depending on where in the world you actually are/grew up.
    Thank you for your response

okay that kind of makes more sense. so that means I could actually just have developed immunity to tb naturally? I am trying to work out why I didnt get the BCG but I cant really get anything out of my mum who just says I'm immune to it and so is she thats why we've never had it

i've spent a fair amount of time living in high risk tb areas :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    For people born after around 1991, they stopped routinely immunising against TB in the UK in secondary schools and now only do it in high risk areas in the UK - presumably by "high risk TB areas" you mean other countries? So if you're younger than that that's likely the reason you weren't immunised. I (and a lot of my year) had to get their mantoux (to test their immunity) and then a vaccination during the first semester of first year. Not being vaccinated isn't anything to be particularly worried or stressed about, they'll likely just do it for you when you start.

The form is from occupational health so just call them - they'll probably just tell you to make an appointment when you start. Even though you're not in the UK right now, if you can get TSR you will be able to call somebody to settle your mind a bit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.