Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teaching with Policing Degree Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,,

I currently work as a Police Officer looking to move into teaching. I am currently undertaking a Policing Degree through work, which saves me some pennies and means I can do it as part of my work. This is much easier than completing a P/T Primary Education Degree with OU whilst I work.

My main query is would I be able to enter as a primary school teacher with the Policing degree or would it be better to bite the bullet and do the Primary Education degree.

I take it after the degree I would then have to undertake a PGCE?

Thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I could be wrong but I always thought you can do a Primary PGCE with any degree as long as you have GCSEs in English, maths and science and an A level in a curriculum subject. Contact PGCE providers and ask them if you'd meet the requirements with a policing degree, that's the only way to know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I thought that also but was slightly worried if that degree would be seen as less favorable when it comes to applying for PGCE or job interviews afterwards. I do have GCSE's at the required level as well as History, Geography and Business Studies A Levels.

Do you think this would be an issue?

Ta

ReputationRep:
    On a slightly different slant - thought you might like to hear from another ex-cop currently doing his PGCE. Re the degree and qualifications, as others say, check with your prospective training provider for advice. However, don't be surprised if they are vague. I was in the police for a looooong time, so my degree is very old and I wanted to check that this wouldn't cause any issues (especially as I needed it for a subject-related bursary - I'm secondary maths.) Everyone said it should be fine, but no-one would give me a definitive answer, right up until I started and all the paperwork went through without a glitch.

Re moving from policing to teaching; expect to work just as hard in teaching as I'm sure you are in policing, It is hard work. At the moment in my training year, I'm working 12 hr days mon-fri. I work probably another 12 hrs over the weekend. That's a lot more hours than I was working in my last policing post......but I am loving the work!

The paperwork and annoying bureaucratic requirements won't be completely new to you, but I would say its even worse in teaching than in the police (really!). Get used to inputting and using data on excel spreadsheets, while trying hard to remember that each row of data represents a real and complex young-person, not simply a record of progress.

But the great positive (for me, anyway) is working with young people to help and support them, over the longer term and in a situation away from crisis (usually!). Its lovely not to be only working with young people as perpetrators or victims of crime. Very refreshing! And your knowledge of aspects of life that some of your pupils will be going through at home, will help you understand and empathise with the struggles some of them have.

You bring a lot of transferable skills which will really help you. I'm sure you know how to talk to people in all kinds of situations, and are well used to behaving in a confident and professional manner in front of groups, whatever you are feeling inside. Very useful skills in a secondary classroom (and sometimes the staffroom), and I'm sure it will be the same in primary.

I loved my twenty-five plus years in policing, but can honestly say that the move to teaching has been (so far!) everything I hoped. Good luck to you in your change of career.

ReputationRep:
    I know a surprising amount of people who've moved from the police to teaching. Being in the police is always one of those jobs I thought people stayed in for life as it looks pretty interesting and rewarding. Why did you two decide to move into teaching?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.