Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I've come to that stage where I'm nosing around to find any interview tips and advice people have or any experiences people have shared when it comes to interviews for the BA creative advertising course. Unfortunately I haven't really found any recent ones so I've decided to be brave and create a thread myself. Hopefully this will be a success and be a great help for me, and everyone else who's on this journey too.

So I guess I'll start. Right now I'm doing an Art & Design foundation course. For the creative advertising course I've applied to Falmouth, Southampton Solent, Leeds college of Art and Lincoln. I've only had one interview so far and that was a Skype interview with Falmouth. (I got an offer, yaay! ). A day before the interview I had to submit 3 images of advertising that I admire along with a 500 word explanation. Even though it wasn't necessary, I also sent them a link to my work. We discussed both of them briefly and she asked me what I'm doing now in foundation and why I've decided to study Creative advertising, what is it about advertising that I like and why I wanted to do it at Falmouth in particular. It was quite informal, we had a really nice chat. Also, for the actual interview they gave us a brainstorm brief. We had to come up with some idea's for the 'Lynx bullet' deodorant online/tv ad. I came up with a few ideas but sadly it was never mentioned and I felt too shy to bring it up.

But uhm yeah, I think that's about it. Also if your curious, I submitted 17 pieces of work that were paintings, drawings, typography, photography, screen printing and 3D work. I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to comment and share anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoungZ)
    Hi,

So I've come to that stage where I'm nosing around to find any interview tips and advice people have or any experiences people have shared when it comes to interviews for the BA creative advertising course. Unfortunately I haven't really found any recent ones so I've decided to be brave and create a thread myself. Hopefully this will be a success and be a great help for me, and everyone else who's on this journey too.

So I guess I'll start. Right now I'm doing an Art & Design foundation course. For the creative advertising course I've applied to Falmouth, Southampton Solent, Leeds college of Art and Lincoln. I've only had one interview so far and that was a Skype interview with Falmouth. (I got an offer, yaay! ). A day before the interview I had to submit 3 images of advertising that I admire along with a 500 word explanation. Even though it wasn't necessary, I also sent them a link to my work. We discussed both of them briefly and she asked me what I'm doing now in foundation and why I've decided to study Creative advertising, what is it about advertising that I like and why I wanted to do it at Falmouth in particular. It was quite informal, we had a really nice chat. Also, for the actual interview they gave us a brainstorm brief. We had to come up with some idea's for the 'Lynx bullet' deodorant online/tv ad. I came up with a few ideas but sadly it was never mentioned and I felt too shy to bring it up.

But uhm yeah, I think that's about it. Also if your curious, I submitted 17 pieces of work that were paintings, drawings, typography, photography, screen printing and 3D work. I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to comment and share anything!
    ahhh ive been waiting for this post!! Im applying to Lincoln and falmouth both for creative advertising and my interveiw is on saturday
    did theybask anything else and (i hope you dont mind me asking) what grades are you applying with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venilly)
    ahhh ive been waiting for this post!! Im applying to Lincoln and falmouth both for creative advertising and my interveiw is on saturday
    did theybask anything else and (i hope you dont mind me asking) what grades are you applying with
    Which interview is on Saturday? I have a Lincoln one next Wednesday - which is my first choice. Uhm the only other question I remember she asked was what got me into advertising, how I found out about the course. I thought the interview was really short but I know for the actual interview, you do a group task before your interview which is the brainstorm brief.

Uhm, as far as I know, it's all based on UCAS points rather than grades. I have 270 UCAS points right now. My grades are CCCD. (Not the best :/) but I'm also doing a foundation course and with Falmouth my condition is just to pass, which is 165 UCAS points.

Also what are you planning on wearing? I don't know whether to dress smart casual or dress more on the smart side. Goodluck for Saturday though. I have my Leeds one tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Which interview is on Saturday? I have a Lincoln one next Wednesday - which is my first choice. Uhm the only other question I remember she asked was what got me into advertising, how I found out about the course. I thought the interview was really short but I know for the actual interview, you do a group task before your interview which is the brainstorm brief.

Uhm, as far as I know, it's all based on UCAS points rather than grades. I have 270 UCAS points right now. My grades are CCCD. (Not the best :/) but I'm also doing a foundation course and with Falmouth my condition is just to pass, which is 165 UCAS points.

Also what are you planning on wearing? I don't know whether to dress smart casual or dress more on the smart side. Goodluck for Saturday though. I have my Leeds one tomorrow!
    Yeah rea a bit about the group interveiw. You got it already? Well done! im doing foundation too at the moment and gonna aim for at least a pass because that definitely seems achievable so that makes me feel a bit more confident
    My lincoln one is on wednesday too haha
    im probably gonna go for a blazer shirt and skinny jeans just to make it a bit more casul. But incase everyone dresses smart im gonna bring heel with me just in case so i can swap them. How about you, know what to wear already .
    thanks good, luck with leeds

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, so I guess I'll see you there. I'm thinking about wearing a blazer, but not too sure. Guess it'll depend on the weather. I wanna look smart but not to the point where I look too serious. And yeah, I was a bit surprised because when I went to the open day the woman told me that the conditional offer is a merit. So I dunno, I guess they've lowered the entry requirements for those that are doing a foundation course. How much work are you planning on bringing? I think for Lincoln I'm gonna aim for either 15 or 20.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, so I guess I'll see you there. I'm thinking about wearing a blazer, but not too sure. Guess it'll depend on the weather. I wanna look smart but not to the point where I look too serious. And yeah, I was a bit surprised because when I went to the open day the woman told me that the conditional offer is a merit. So I dunno, I guess they've lowered the entry requirements for those that are doing a foundation course. How much work are you planning on bringing? I think for Lincoln I'm gonna aim for either 15 or 20.
    haha guess you will
    its one of those things, you just dont what everyone else is wearing till its to late. if you do come informal compared to everyone else i doubt the university would penalize someone for something which is minor considering there is no official dress code for a uni interview.
    well im finishing of my portfolio as we speak i have 12 pages completely done but im gonna add 3 or 4 things so just under 20. i emailed Lincoln if they could give me some specifics on if there is a limit on how much work should be brought etc. and they just emailed back a generic thing saying thanks for applying to to course and nothing else so that wasnt any help. what was the work you sent to falmouth an e-portfolio or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's just the fear of being the odd one out :unsure:
    I think 20, or around 20 is a good number - most courses ask for that. With Falmouth I wouldn't necessarily say I sent them an e-portfolio. I just sent them a link to my dropbox which had 17 pieces of my work. They never gave me a limit because it was a choice I made to show them my work. I didn't even label each piece, they were just called 1,2,3, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hope your interview yesterday went well by the way!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.