The Student Room Group

AQA Statistics A2 2016 Thread

Decided to make a statistics thread as I can't seem to find a thread on AQA Statistics!

Scroll to see replies

Are you talking about the Statistics A level itself or just the stats modules in Maths/Further Maths?
Reply 2
Moved to maths exams.
Reply 3
Original post by kc_chiefs
Are you talking about the Statistics A level itself or just the stats modules in Maths/Further Maths?
The Statistics A Level itself mate
Original post by nemanuel96
The Statistics A Level itself mate

Pretty damn easy A level if you ask me - though I notice from the statistics only about 3% of people get A* in it. Which shocks me to be honest.

Is there anything in the specification which is difficult? Doesn't seem so. Just a case of memorise a load of tests - and a bunch of them you can work out from what is in the formula book even if you have forgotten the details of the test.
Reply 5
Pretty damn easy A level if you ask me - though I notice from the statistics only about 3% of people get A* in it. Which shocks me to be honest.

Is there anything in the specification which is difficult? Doesn't seem so. Just a case of memorise a load of tests - and a bunch of them you can work out from what is in the formula book even if you have forgotten the details of the test.

It isn't too bad but the way I've been taught to carry out a lot of these tests are not the "proper" way (i.e. The way we write out hypothesis, how we write the conclusion etc). Therefore, it is easy for me to drop marks even though I get the same answer.

What I've been doing lately is instead of answering the questions the way I've been taught, I'm now answering questions the way examiners want to see the question be marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isn't too bad but the way I've been taught to carry out a lot of these tests are not the "proper" way (i.e. The way we write out hypothesis, how we write the conclusion etc). Therefore, it is easy for me to drop marks even though I get the same answer.

What I've been doing lately is instead of answering the questions the way I've been taught, I'm now answering questions the way examiners want to see the question be marked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have one advantage over you - I am self taught. I do not go to a school or college.
So I have used the mark schemes/reports a lot. I just have a single textbook I bought (okay but not great) and the past papers and official specification.
Reply 7
I have one advantage over you - I am self taught. I do not go to a school or college.
So I have used the mark schemes/reports a lot. I just have a single textbook I bought (okay but not great) and the past papers and official specification.

Which textbook do you use? Most textbooks are ridiculous. Also have you managed to complete the AS exams or are you doing them all in one year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which textbook do you use? Most textbooks are ridiculous. Also have you managed to complete the AS exams or are you doing them all in one year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing them all this summer. I started in November. I'm not bragging but its pretty easy stuff. Took about six weeks to do the entire specification including all past paper questions.

Understanding Statistics by Upton & Cook is the book.
Reply 9
Sorry for the delayed reply, and thanks for that! I'll have a look at that.

Goodness of fit is the one that usually gets me. Of all of the tests, that's got to be the hardest imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing them all this summer. I started in November. I'm not bragging but its pretty easy stuff. Took about six weeks to do the entire specification including all past paper questions.

Understanding Statistics by Upton & Cook is the book.

Ahh... I'm stuck on an SS05 question from my textbook and they don't show you the way they've worked it out to get the answer. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello friends, am doing AQA S1 this year, so was wondering if you could please help me with question 7 part b paper May 2012 1B, I just don't know how to comment and show with numerical reason and the mark scheme is not explanatory enough :frown: many thanks
How are you finding statistics so far?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can anyone help me to know when to use central limit theoreom or when to use unbiased estimate?
Original post by koolgurl14
Hi can anyone help me to know when to use central limit theoreom or when to use unbiased estimate?

CLT is used when your data is NOT normally distributed
Yeah, so when the population is unknown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you guys find S4?
Original post by wannabemedic1234
How did you guys find S4?

Wasn't too bad. I think I got the U>V question wrong. Got the z value, but forgot to do the negative. And the minimum of 1% question. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wasn't too bad. I think I got the U>V question wrong. Got the z value, but forgot to do the negative. And the minimum of 1% question. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, that sucks, you'll probably get most of the marks for the question though. Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good paper.
How was S5 guys?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending