Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do i get an A in as physics Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can somone please give me some tips on how to get an A in as physics for the aqa exam board please!
    I really don't want to fail

ReputationRep:
    Lol A in physics? Next youre gonna ask how to grow 10 feet tall lol

ReputationRep:
    I did it last year and i would recommend that you do all of the papers to learn the set written answers, but i would also advise you to take thw time to really understand the maths rather than just blindly usimg equations without knowing what you are really doing

ReputationRep:
    isn't obvious?
    physics is not different to any other subject ...
    minimum of 4 hours per week outside the classroom
    quadruple that during exam leave and half terms and breaks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    I did it last year and i would recommend that you do all of the papers to learn the set written answers, but i would also advise you to take thw time to really understand the maths rather than just blindly usimg equations without knowing what you are really doing
    would yo u say that physics requires more memorisation or practice?
    Because recently ive just been blindly learning things and i keep failing my topic tests
    I just don't know how to fix it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    isn't obvious?
    physics is not different to any other subject ...
    minimum of 4 hours per week outside the classroom
    quadruple that during exam leave and half terms and breaks
    Be reasonable.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dizgurl)
    Be reasonable.....
    ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleBoxes)
    Because recently ive just been blindly learning things and i keep failing my topic tests
    Practice, the only thing you should be memorising by rote are a couple of the definition questions. I dont bother learning a lot of the situation specific equations, i would just derive them from more general ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Practice, the only thing you should be memorising by rote are a couple of the definition questions. I dont bother learning a lot of the situation specific equations, i would just derive them from more general ones
    How many times did you do each past paper?

ReputationRep:
    Please don't blindly learn! I struggled a lot with physics last year and the only thing that saved me was asking myself after reading my notes each time if I really understood what I'd just learnt. Take the time to do as many past papers as you can- they're life savers I tell you, esp for physics. Also if you don't understand sth then do whatever you can to make sure you do- pester yoir teachers, watch youtube vids etc. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    How many times did you do each past paper?
    One

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get an A in AS Physics and am currently studying Physics at Uni...

ReputationRep:
    Compared to Biology and Chemistry I found Physics to be much more simpler in its theories and concepts. All I had to do was to try to understand all the concepts from scratch without trying any short cuts or mere rote learning. And if I made any mistakes I thoroughly analysed why I did so, and how could I have avoided it. It all came back to a few fundamentals.

Physics is like inanimate nature - very complex at first glance but then quite simple when thoroughly understood.

*one tip I was given to "cheat" calculations was to do dimension analysis. If you know how a quantity is being measured (its SI units), then for any question that asks you to calculate or find out its value - most times you can just multiply/divide etc the quantities given depending on their units so as to force your answer to have the needed units. For example if a question asks you to find the work done, which is measured in J which is Nm, you just have to multiply a quantity measured in N and another quantity measured in m.

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Can somone please give me some tips on how to get an A in as physics for the aqa exam board please!
    I really don't want to fail
    Get the most exposure to exam questions. Sometimes it doesn't matter if it's not the same exam board because examiners love to try different approaches to questions.

That's besides knowing the content and knowing when to use the formulas. Make sure you brush up on some GCSE knowledge as well. (not that I did this for my A).

When revising make sure you focus on exam questions from 1 topic at a time and look well at the mark scheme. You'll see a general trend in how questions are answered. That's how I got full UMS in my AS Physics exams.

ReputationRep:
    I did Physics and I hated it!

I managed to get an A (thanks to low grade boundaries)

If I can do it, so can you!

Just make sure you cover the content. For the mathematical side, ensure you can do the maths. This is mainly achieved by practice questions and past papers. For the theoretical side, just ensure you know the theories and rules. After you have learned them, look at mark schemes and examiners reports to see what they like to see in the answers to the questions about the theoretical stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Same!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.