Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently choosing my A- levels and I'm slightly torn between what to do. My main career goal is to go into physics, preferably to work in a university or do research, so Im planning to take Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A level. I might do a fourth, but I know that Further Maths is quite challenging and don't want to be distracted from it as I want to do physics at Oxford and I know they want excellent grades.

However, I am also considering going into law, and can't help but feel that I am putting myself at a disadvantage by choosing only maths and science, and no essay based subjects. I know that most uni's don't require english lit or history, but I feel like you are definitely at an advantage if you study them. Oxford doesn't require or recommend any a levels for law, which is reassuring, but I am still doubtful.

As a small consolation, I do quite a lot of competitive debating and I have been successful in this- would this make up for a lack of essay based humanities subjects?

I guess I just want to know whether I am damaging my chances of getting into a law course with Maths, Further Maths and Physics as my A- Levels. Should I do only those and risk being at a disadvantage, or should I take a 4th A level such as History or English Lit, and risk doing badly overall.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.