Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently choosing my A- levels and I'm slightly torn between what to do. My main career goal is to go into physics, preferably to work in a university or do research, so Im planning to take Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A level. I might do a fourth, but I know that Further Maths is quite challenging and don't want to be distracted from it as I want to do physics at Oxford and I know they want excellent grades.

However, I am also considering going into law, and can't help but feel that I am putting myself at a disadvantage by choosing only maths and science, and no essay based subjects. I know that most uni's don't require english lit or history, but I feel like you are definitely at an advantage if you study them. Oxford doesn't require or recommend any a levels for law, which is reassuring, but I am still doubtful.

As a small consolation, I do quite a lot of competitive debating and I have been successful in this- would this make up for a lack of essay based humanities subjects?

I guess I just want to know whether I am damaging my chances of getting into a law course with Maths, Further Maths and Physics as my A- Levels. Should I do only those and risk being at a disadvantage, or should I take a 4th A level such as History or English Lit, and risk doing badly overall.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.