Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge possibilities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a foreign student studying in 5th year (Scottish Qualifications) in a private school in Scotland.
    I have a couple of questions regarding Oxbridge and the medical courses there so it would be a great help if you can give me any advice! Thank you in advance!
    I came from a very unique background and always moved around and I'm aspiring to do medicine. I am currently taking AH Math (a year early), and English and the three sciences at Higher. I'm also doing 3 Japanese exams this year (2 which are from the English system and one exam which is international). Will taking Math a year early benefit me in any way?

- First of all, as a foreigner I am worried about if there is any discrimination taking place during Oxbridge applications. How do they see foreign students? I am multilingular (4 languages and all of them fluent including English) - will that be an advantage? Are there more places offered to EU students than non-EU?

- Secondly, I always read about people who take 14 GSCEs in England and it really scares me - I dont take as many subjects as that. Does Oxbridge prefer English Qualifications to Scottish ones? Does it treat them equally? Does quantity matter?

-Thirdly, regarding subject choice - is there a preference for 4 Advanced Highers, or is taking 3 normal? Is taking English a good choice in this case (even if it isnt directly medically or science related).

- Fourthly, regarding exams. As I understand correctly, UKCAT, BMAT and individual entrance exams have to be taken to get into Oxbridge? For the individual college exams, do you need knowledge of particular subjects to answer the questions? Or is it very generic?

- Fifthly, does taking gap years make a difference? Is it regarded as a good thing and are they any preferences in what you do?

I now realize that I have asked a lot of questions, but I am a bit lost and I would really appreciate some help. Thank you very much in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, there will be many more people with more knowledge than me, but in response to your first point yes, there are far fewer places available for international students, 28 at Oxford and 22 at Cambridge. Both universities require Bmat rather than Ukcat, but I'm not sure on college tests.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.